Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the magnificent teleporting goblins  (Read 918 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
the magnificent teleporting goblins
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:45:12 pm »

I had an excess of goblins (well, just more than zero) stored up in my animal stockpile, and I figured I would work on a drowing chamber while my moat was frozen over the winter.  So I put in a flood gate, attached 6 or 7 goblin cages to a lever and locked the doors.  When the winter ended and the moat was no longer frozen, I pulled the switch too early for me to realize that I had forgotten to actually put a grate in, keeping the goblins from swimming into my moat and interrupting everything, which they did.  So I was stuck with tons of pages of announcements and a half dozen goblins floating around my moat.  I figured there were two ways to get rid of them:  either a caravan would arrive and shoot them all, or I would just wait until the next winter then the moat freezes and they all get encased in Ice.  What happened, however, was that they all simply vanished after a little bit of swimming around.  They didn't drown as they were not listed as dead, and they did not escape and run off the map, they simply vanished from the map like they were never there.  Is this normal?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: the magnificent teleporting goblins
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:08:41 pm »

Sounds like a glitch. Are you sure they couldn't get out of the moat? Does the moat connect with a body of water that crosses the map border? Do you have a sewage system they could have used?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 06:03:39 pm »

You should make a Goblin Juicer.

I dunno if someone else came up with the idea before or not, but if they did, then I re-invented it.

How I generally do it is to build 2x2 stairs up about 3 z levels above ground(prevents miasma), then build a completely contained sort of "bunker" type building that ends up being about 4x8 counting walls, 2x6 of floor with a single open hole in the floor that drops into a 2x2 room with walls on all sides except one, which has 2 floodgates attached to a lever. inside the 2x2 you build 4 upright traps linked to a lever. Any metal is fine, as long as it's a metal. You make sure the floodgates are closed, then use i to set a Pit/Pond zone over the hole upstairs, then use P to dump in all your prisoners. They will take damage from the upright traps when they land if they are extended, killing many of them, and you can set the trap lever to be pulled repeatedly to kill the rest. Keeps the mess nice and contained, gets rid of an unlimited number of prisoners quickly with little resources or labor required, you can build a refuse stockpile and a dump right next to it to make cleanup easy, and also if you are trying to save butcherable corpses and dump the rest, it has this neat little feature(i guess? I have no idea why it does this but it's great) of completely separating corpses from the equipment when you look at it with k, so you can sort through what to dump and what to save much easier. To make it more secure, you can add retracting bridges over the hole into your bunker and the Juicer to prevent flying enemies from getting inside your fort

Pictures here since my explanation sucks:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 06:32:04 pm »

It's a take on a fairly old concept.  When I build a goblin hole, I usually make it ~8 stories deep (or enough to cause decent wounds without killing) into a pit of spikes.  One Z level up are fortifications and a walkway for marksdwarves (if I want to train them) and - of course - you can send a normal squad inside after the critters land in their damaged state to get them more kills & a title.

I did a sort of variant on this once that combined it with a noble trap, and instead of murdering my baroness I ended up giving her a title.  It was actually kinda badass so I ended up letting her live and accepting the fact that I would have a few rooms decorated with native silver furniture (made from imported ore, hence the original reason she was in the combat pit).
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:09 pm »

It's a take on a fairly old concept.  When I build a goblin hole, I usually make it ~8 stories deep (or enough to cause decent wounds without killing) into a pit of spikes.  One Z level up are fortifications and a walkway for marksdwarves (if I want to train them) and - of course - you can send a normal squad inside after the critters land in their damaged state to get them more kills & a title.

I did a sort of variant on this once that combined it with a noble trap, and instead of murdering my baroness I ended up giving her a title.  It was actually kinda badass so I ended up letting her live and accepting the fact that I would have a few rooms decorated with native silver furniture (made from imported ore, hence the original reason she was in the combat pit).

I used to just make 15 zlevel drops, but i'd have so many freaking corpses to dump going up and down 15 z levels and miasma everywhere even if i channelled out the tile all the way to the surface because of body parts flying off everywhere. Much cleaner and quicker this way.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]