Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need assistance with makeing a map.  (Read 1660 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need assistance with makeing a map.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 11:30:26 am »

All I saw is "showing where people have cities and such", which is not very specific. Do you want help with deciding where cities go? Do you just want icons for cities? What exactly is "and such"?

And you must have MS Paint, dude.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:19 am »

Then why the fuck are you using tectonics! Eyeball it!

Oh, and as a GM you are not supposed to have fun with the players. You are supposed to crush them. They are your sworn enemy. Thwart them at every turn, as Tycho would say.
It was my friend who I first asked to help with the map who insisted on useing tectonics. Also, this is DF forums, what is the differance between fun and crushing them?

DJ, players build their own cities, and even decide where they go. I can easily point out where NPC cities go. I just need someone to edit in a basic icon for each city, as well as colored borders for each side's territory. I swear to you, this doesn't have MS paint, I don't know how, it didn't always being to me, used to be my mothers until my computer completely and utterly crashed and couldn't be repaired.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 11:39:10 am »

Ehh ... Alright, I'll volunteer for keeping the map updated with city and territory locations.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 11:56:46 am »

Some minor advice. Find a paint program that can do layers. I can't think of any off hand, but they do exist. Why? To make removal of certain features possible without changing the underlying image; the tectonic plate lines for example.

Pick a direction for the wind to blow most of the time. Have forest and jungle accumulate on the side of the mountain ranges facing the wind. Think of an elevation map as well, to get some sense of the topology of the map you're making.
!!&!!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 11:57:44 am »

Some minor advice. Find a paint program that can do layers.

GIMP.

Or photoshop if you have a mole of cash.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:10:27 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 11:59:31 am »

I've heard good things about Paint.net, but I just use GIMP for my forum game needs.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 12:12:24 pm »

Thank you for the offer Nirur. I think i'll start up the game tomarrow or later today.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 10:22:50 pm »

Don't use GIMP, it's just a horrid program. For your free program needs Paint.NET excels way above it.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 11:48:02 pm »

Don't use GIMP, it's just a horrid program. For your free program needs Paint.NET excels way above it.
Eh, not so much. While they're both good programs, I prefer GIMP. I only use Paint.NET when regular MS Paint would suffice if it weren't for me needing layers. For everything else, there's MasterCard I use GIMP. There's no need to have such blind hatred for a program. The only thing I've seen that Paint.NET has over GIMP is that it has a better-looking UI and takes less time to start up.

A large number of map-making tutorials for GIMP (and Photoshop and other programs, but most of those programs aren't free; none that I've seen for Paint.NET) can be found here if you want those. They help you make a map look less thrown-together. I've used some to make maps in the past (as in, over a year ago in the past).
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 [2]