Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need assistance with makeing a map.  (Read 1662 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Need assistance with makeing a map.
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:58:52 am »

Ok I have had this fantasy strat for forums in my head for months now. I asked one of my friends to help me with the map, but....well, he's been busy, and while It is mostly finished I doupt he's going to be able to help me rework the map for each update, like showing where people have cities and such. I could really use some help with the map if I get the game started.
This is the map as it is now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The green is forests, dark green is jungles, light green planes/grasslands/vallies, light brown is desert, dark brown is jungle, grey is mountains, light blue is frozen snow covered areas and glaciers. The red lines are the fault lines of the world.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Need assistance with makeing a map.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:03:18 am »

Is the white the ocean? Because that's blue.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:05:27 am »

Creative projects. Also what do you want from us, it is your world, we will need more info to make things on it.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:08:33 am »

Barbarossa like I said it isn't completely done yet.
And Criptfeind I wasn't sure if this went there or not.
Now the land is mostly done, and I'm actuilly very happy with it, and the oceans will be rather easy to add. What I mostly need is someone to edit it for me so I can show each side's territory and their cities, as I lack any tools to do such things on this computer.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:53 am »

You need mountains. They crop up either of two ways: Volcanoes or along fault lines. Not that you have to account for orographic precipitation and rain shadows, cloud movement, wind etc too, so you get deserts on one side and jungles on another like in RL.

Nevermind. I see you have those, but they all seem to be on the wrong side; clouds move in from the sea IIRC, so jungles should be further out. There's a small area of land near the middle almost completely surrounded by mountains, and that definitely shouldn't be getting much rain.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:19 am »

Those red lines seem like pretty clear borders to me. Just use paint to edit in names of kingdoms. Same for cities, just use small red circles with captions.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:51 am »

Red lines are fault lines.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:18:40 am »

Oh. Well, I see no need to display those, so just use red lines for borders instead.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 11:19:48 am »

Oh. Well, I see no need to display those, so just use red lines for borders instead.

They're useful for making realistic maps. They'll probs be removed later, but as I said you need them to make the surrounding geography; where mountains go, where trees grow and sand dominates.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 11:20:46 am »

Well, since you got a single massive continent, Pangea-style, most of the central plain should be desert.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 11:21:58 am »

Yeah I know it isn't fully realistic, but it's not meant to be. I just wanted a map that would be fun to play on becouse each general type of area is home to species, fantasy and real ones, that make those types of places their home.
Also DJ, the game will start each side as a barly formed city state, one in that cut off area on the east of the central landmass. The sides, due to being cut off from most of the world, don't know much aboutt he lands beyond their home at the beginning, plus the cut off area has few fantasy creatures resideing there. Once each side gets past the mountains they will encounter many species, some with their own civilisiations from tribal to equal to the players, some without. How you react to the creatures you find influences your side's culture, weapons/armor, units(IE allying a troll tribe gets you trolls as units), and even enemies as some tribes or nations dislike one another.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 11:24:44 am »

They're useful for making realistic maps. They'll probs be removed later, but as I said you need them to make the surrounding geography; where mountains go, where trees grow and sand dominates.
I used to do that, and then I realized it's not really needed. Just eyeball it, it's not like player can tell whether you used tectonics or not.

Anyway, I'm not sure what exactly are we supposed to help with here. be more specific, please.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 11:27:25 am »

What I mostly need is someone to edit it for me so I can show each side's territory and their cities, as I lack any tools to do such things on this computer.
I said what I needed mostly, I lack the tools nessicary on this computer, I don't even think I have MS paint on here.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:26 am »

Yeah I know it isn't fully realistic, but it's not meant to be. I just wanted a map that would be fun to play on becouse each general type of area is home to species, fantasy and real ones, that make those types of places their home.
Also DJ, the game will start each side as a barly formed city state, one in that cut off area on the east of the central landmass. The sides, due to being cut off from most of the world, don't know much aboutt he lands beyond their home at the beginning, plus the cut off area has few fantasy creatures resideing there. Once each side gets past the mountains they will encounter many species, some with their own civilisiations from tribal to equal to the players, some without. How you react to the creatures you find influences your side's culture, weapons/armor, units(IE allying a troll tribe gets you trolls as units), and even enemies as some tribes or nations dislike one another.

Then why the fuck are you using tectonics! Eyeball it!

Oh, and as a GM you are not supposed to have fun with the players. You are supposed to crush them. They are your sworn enemy. Thwart them at every turn, as Tycho would say.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:39 am »

I was going to point out that ecologically, the map doesn't make any sense (Rain forests next to deserts, no rain shadows, no desert belts), but I see you're not going for accuracy in that field. Other then that, if you're looking for ways to depict the different countries, it's probably easiest to make a contour map, showing only where the land ends and the sea starts (and maybe the mountain ridges, though those are usually done using relief shadows and that's hard) and on that map draw the different countries. Height maps, rainfall maps and population density maps could also easily be made starting from a stock contour map, as well as most other kinds of maps (earthquake chance? magic power concentration? Amount of gnoll raids per year? all can be done with the contour map and some shading)
Pages: [1] 2