Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Universal SPEED tag edit  (Read 1261 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Universal SPEED tag edit
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:19 am »

So if I wanted to speed up ALL the creatures while maintaining their relative differences with movement speed, is there a way to do that without having to edit each creature entry separately? I'd be happy with double speed, I think.

EDIT: I sprouted a pair and started modifying the raws manually. This is a copy of the post some ways below, copypasted here for convenience.
Ooookay. Here are the modified raws (22 files) in a zip archive (whole 116 528 bytes). Took about an hour to edit all the files, so it's not ultimately all that arduous task. An hour well spent, in my opinion.
http://www.easy-share.com/1912590073/DF-creatures-speed450.zip

Here's what I did and didn't do to them:
- Added the [SPEED] tag (or is it token?) to all creatures, if none was present, and set it to 450.
- If the tag was already there, I just halved the associated number.
- I noticed that MOST of the time the [SPEED] tag was under the tag [HAS_NERVES], so that's where you'll find the added tags.
- I DIDN'T touch the swim speed, so that's a separate thing.
- No creature was spared from this speedboost treatment. Wagons, horses, bats.. all faster. Hopefully.
- Tested only in very limited fashion - with the current fort, dwarves, cats, dogs and horses seem to move faster, and at about equal speed, after the changes. I did play for few hours, and didn't get any crashes, or other weird behavior. Tested game version 31.16.

Make backups. Extract to anywhere and copypaste the included txt files (aka raws) manually to the relevant folder, which would be something like "C:\DorfFort-3116\data\save\region1\raw\objects"
Use with caution! And use your own discretion. Like I said, limited testing. Plus, I'm not exactly a DF modding expert.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:21:15 pm by albatross »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Universal SPEED tag edit
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 08:22:54 am »

you could probably write a macro to do it, but that would be more work than manually changing all of them.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:16:40 am »

Macros? But... they're for recording a series of commands, and later recalling them with a single key press, aren't they? They can't be used to edit the raws, or creature properties... can they?
But I was thinking, what if there was a program that would:

1. First add an extra [CREATURE] tag at the end of each creature_ txt file
2. Then find the [SPEED] tags between two [CREATURE] tags, and halve the associated number
3. Then do a second check for [SPEED] tags, if no [SPEED] tag is found between two consequtive [CREATURE] tags, add one and set it to 450 (I assume 450 would make the creature twice as fast, 900 being default?)
4. Remove the last [CREATURE] tag from each txt file
(5. Save changes to files and quit)

I think in theory that would work, but I don't have the skills to pull that off. Is hard work (i.e. manually editing them all) the only viable choice?  :(

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:43:06 am »

You could just double the max framerate.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:01:35 am »

That would require doubling his max computer, too.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:15:29 am »

I've never fully understood the purpose of FPS_CAP in init.txt, if that's what you're talking about. All I've noticed is that lowering it makes the game bit smoother when the fort is at advanced stages. Raising the value above the default 100 makes the game just bit laggier or more stutter-y, be it a new game or advanced. I've tried it with values 50, 100, 200 and 0 (= uncapped). Editing the [SPEED] tag yields far more visible results.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 10:27:25 am »

Macros? But... they're for recording a series of commands, and later recalling them with a single key press, aren't they? They can't be used to edit the raws, or creature properties... can they?

sure they can. It's just a text file. simply write a macro to hit enter X times, write in speed:0, repeat.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 10:41:48 am »

Whatever. I started editing the raws. Not sure what'll happen, since I'm almost done. But I did notice the oysters, for one, have [IMMOBILE_LAND] tag.  And 7 out of 22 of the creature_ files contain the word "immobile" (used a search utility for that). Also, I thought the default speed for all was 900, right? There are many creatures that have SPEED specifically set at 900. Why is that? Why specify something separately that's default?

EDIT: For example, several creatures in creature_small_mammals.txt. The squirrels, hedgehog and chipmunk. All have [SPEED] set to 900.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:15:36 am by albatross »

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:16:27 pm »

I don't think all creatures have the same speed.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:36:28 pm »

Whatever. I started editing the raws. Not sure what'll happen, since I'm almost done. But I did notice the oysters, for one, have [IMMOBILE_LAND] tag.  And 7 out of 22 of the creature_ files contain the word "immobile" (used a search utility for that). Also, I thought the default speed for all was 900, right? There are many creatures that have SPEED specifically set at 900. Why is that? Why specify something separately that's default?

EDIT: For example, several creatures in creature_small_mammals.txt. The squirrels, hedgehog and chipmunk. All have [SPEED] set to 900.

If it works please post raws?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 03:10:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can find the speed using adventure mode. It shows the speed in the lower right. You can play as any creature in the arena to get a baseline.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can find the speed using adventure mode. It shows the speed in the lower right. You can play as any creature in the arena to get a baseline.
I think you mean arena mode. And not all are available, actually.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:07:11 pm »

I think you mean arena mode. And not all are available, actually.

And the displayed speed is inversely related to the raw speed.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Speed
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »

Ooookay. Here are the modified raws (22 files) in a zip archive (whole 116 528 bytes). Took about an hour to edit all the files, so it's not ultimately all that arduous task. An hour well spent, in my opinion.
http://www.easy-share.com/1912590073/DF-creatures-speed450.zip

EDIT: blah blah blah... the rest is adjoined with the first post. See that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:22:52 pm by albatross »