Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surprisingly Cheap Artifact  (Read 1628 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Surprisingly Cheap Artifact
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:19:10 pm »

Wow, really?

The dwarf picks up a copper bar, an alder log, a cow bone, and a bauxite boulder, and this is what I get?

This is, without a doubt, the least valuable artifact I have ever seen. 2,640 dwarfbucks? I have several masterwork rock crafts worth significantly more, and I wasn't even aware the value of an artifact could be that staggeringly low.

It's not even decorated. It's... just rather awful.

If it wasn't a functional item, I'd be really bothered.

EDIT: Scratch that, I realized that another dwarf had already made a cow leather left sandal worth 2,280. It is adorned with hanging rings of cow leather. It menaces with spikes of failure.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:20:53 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Surprisingly Cheap Artifact
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »

Bone artifacts are bugged, and get no decorations of any kind. Be glad it wasn't gold and platinum bars with GCS silk and cut emeralds. -_-
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »

i've had bone artifacts worth 1200.

and yes, bone artifacts are bugged.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:24:34 pm »

That's awful...

But I guess I'm glad it's not my dwarf's fault that the magnum opus of his entire life is less valuable than what my stonecrafter and jeweler crank out regularly.

But this does mean that the cow leather sandal is simply a horrible failure, right?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 01:53:48 am »

I've got you beat...

That fucker got adamantine cotton candy bars for that worthless coffin. I have him making bone bolts out of what's in our refuse pile... when he's done I plan to send him to the magma.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 02:11:30 am »

Yeah, for artifacts, I look at possibly getting a Legendary dwarf in a useful skill.  Anything that involves a bone generally will not be worth zillions.

That's why possessions generally suck, and also artifacts produced by leatherworks, clothiers, weavers, woodcrafters, bonecrafters, and glassworkers don't really excite me.  Just got a general layabout (slight skill in metalcrafting) produce a Copper Earring (worth 51600) but the main advantage is that I have a legendary metalcrafter now, who can churn out lead bins and barrels...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 03:00:41 am »

Well atleast now when your hunter is looking to grab a stack of bone bolts made from hes last kill, they will be of great quality.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 04:07:33 am »

Well atleast now when your hunter is looking to grab a stack of bone bolts made from hes last kill, they will be of great quality.

If masterful bone bolts are used, it make the bonecarver sad though.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 05:08:51 am »

not if he's churning out over 9000 masterwork stacks of bolts he won't
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:23:14 am »

Sell the master works, or let him get upset, both good options.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:38:28 am »

Generally if a Urist McMoody asks for anything bones I just wall him in and let him starve, That is if I don't have the nobles death room ball room yet. If I do I just place a 1 tile stockpile there assign him to it with a burrow (so he can't pick up stuff from anywhere else) place that bone piece he really wants there, and when he gets there, woooosh.

Unless he is REALLY useful, like one of my experienced military dwarves or a guy with 2 legendary skills already. If he is I just let him do it. But most of the time it seems that my farmers tend to get out of their place and want to build artefacts.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:41:50 am by Victuz »
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:03:51 am »

Quote from: Pukako
That's why possessions generally suck, and also artifacts produced by leatherworks, clothiers, weavers, woodcrafters, bonecrafters, and glassworkers don't really excite me.  Just got a general layabout (slight skill in metalcrafting) produce a Copper Earring (worth 51600) but the main advantage is that I have a legendary metalcrafter now, who can churn out lead bins and barrels...

If magma is handy and it's a sand biome, it's easy to build an entire city in a hurry out of green glass with a single legendary glassworker and a team of masons. And, from what I've seen, a Legendary Weaver is actually more useful than a Legendary Clothier since a no quality cloth craft made out of masterwork cloth will still be listed and priced as a masterwork item.

I avoid bonecrafters like the plague anymore so I'm not sure, but do they still use a single bone at a time to make bolts? If so, they're totally useless since your average hunter will fire off an entire stack of five bone bolts in two or three seconds and either cancel the hunt to get another stack or try to mix it up with his prey as a hammerdwarf. This tends not to turn out so well if the previously hunted creature is, say, a lion or bear.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 11:07:19 am »

Since you have all the bone/horn/ivory/hoof chunks sitting around anyway, why not just make a somewhat centralized crafts shop with remains stockpiles and decorate everything with bone? It's not like you're gonna be studding every bed bin barrel bag and cabinet with gems and gold. Free wealth is free wealth?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08:37 pm »

Wouldn't masterwork-quality bolts, even bone ones, be quite effective compared to adequate copper or iron ones?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »

Wouldn't masterwork-quality bolts, even bone ones, be quite effective compared to adequate copper or iron ones?

They are pretty good, except that bone bolts are made in stacks of 5 while everything else comes in stacks of 25. From what I can tell, without supremely annoying quiver-fiddley glitches marksdwarves will grab 15 bone bolts, pew pew for a second, then relinquish the guard post for the next guy who will start from the barracks/meeting hall, go pick up ammo, meander up to the firing line, pew pew for a second, then .... etc.

OR they run out with quivers of 75 bolts and kill/cripple several gobbos before switching out.
Pages: [1] 2