Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ETA: Eureka! (burrow restrictions - bug/feature?)  (Read 660 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ETA: Eureka! (burrow restrictions - bug/feature?)
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »

So, fooling around with a savage embark.  I have what I think is a secure moat (so far, all the caravans have come in via the bridge) and a burrow that encompasses the area inside the moat.  I have a civilian alert on that burrow.  I also have a scattering of cage traps out there to catch elephants and other delightful fauna; I d-b-f forbade them, to be reclaimed individually when there aren't ambushes and wild tigermen swarming around.  For good measure, I also forbade every single cage and mechanism in the whole damn place via z-stocks.

My civilians are still trooping out like suicidal lemmings, wandering halfway across the screen to store Armok knows what in a damned stockpile.  I tried actually assigning them all to the burrow I had the alert on, which seems to do nothing.

Restricting them to a burrow worked beautifully in .14.  What am I doing wrong here?  :[

[ETA]:  EUREKA I HAS IT.

Deleted burrow, turned off alert.  Remade burrow, turned alert back on.  Worked wonderfully.

Then I decided to expand the burrow a few squares to include some of the traps right by the bridge, so the mechanics could sneak out and reload them.  They ignored them.  Turned off their hauling, idled their workshops.  Nothing.  Turned alert off and back on.  They hauled off the cages and started reloading.

(Next stupid question that was almost asked:  Why aren't they using all those empty cages, the stockpile is in the burrow and I have about eighty bajillion green glass--right, green glass...  the color of forbidden.)

So, yeah.  Turn it off and turn it back on.  Dur hur hur.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:34:44 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong with burrow restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:31 am »

Burrows are detailed, precise, and a real pain in the b*tt.  You have to define the burrow (w) area by area, and then set an alert level under the Militia Screen - [m], then [a].  Don't ask me how.  I just push buttons until I get a level that the little maggots are confined to the burrow.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong with burrow restrictions?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:32:48 am »

It's not that; I have the "Yellow Alert" burrow, I made the HIDE YOU MORONS alert with the "Yellow Alert" burrow as its (only) burrow, and it says Civilian Alert: Yellow Alert at the top.

Forbidding every freaking cage trap and its components helps, but there are still tree-cutting and maybe even dig designations out there...  somewhere.  (On a volcano.  The surface is broken up along 21 z-levels, and even if I wasn't used to flatter maps it'd still be a pain to look things over.)

Gonna try deleting and recreating the burrows.  If that fails, I'm dressing my woodcutter up in steel plate and sending him out there with an axe.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7