Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My floodgates... are flooding  (Read 1242 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My floodgates... are flooding
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The picture pretty much explains itself.  That is normal water that is literally ignoring the fact that there is a floodgate there.  For clarification, they ARE closed, and haven't been linked to a mechanism.  Does it have something to do with the fact that I am at the river source possibly?

EDIT:  Just looked, the text is nigh unreadable :P  It says "Andesite Floodgate" then "River" then "Water [2/7]."  Also, there are 3 other floodgates that form a sideways l, so it is positioned to work right.  They all have varying amounts of water on them (one has 5/7, one two have 3/7).  I put in the floodgates while the river was partly frozen, and when they thawed the river didn't start drying out after them nor did they have water on them at first, it eventually started being on top of them.  There isn't any water on the z-level above them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:02:49 pm by Namfuak »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: My floodgates... are flooding
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:01:31 pm »

Water can travel through diagonals, so unless you've got all those blocked too (it doesn't look like it in the picture) then the water will still flow through, just at a reduced rate.

To be honest, I've never tried damming the source of a river. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »

1. You have to actually build it using B>X
And even then 1 floodgate will only block a 1-tile wide pathway

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:05:31 pm »

those are built, and I think what he's saying is that there is water in the same square as a closed floodgate...

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:05:59 pm »

Yeah, sorry, that picture is very unclear.  Here is what it looks like:

x7 7 7 F x
x xF F F 7 x
x x x 7 7 7 x

F is floodgate, x is wall, 7 is water.  Sorry, it's hard to keep them straight in a text field.

Also, the thing for me is that the water is literally occupying the same space.  And they are built, I double-checked, I don't even see how they could be there if they weren't without some real effort on my part.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:11:34 pm by Namfuak »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:22:41 pm »

I bet you you hit a "surprise" aquifer tile, I lost a fort to almost exactly the same kind of terrain (irritated me enough to disable aquifers actually).

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »

I bet you you hit a "surprise" aquifer tile, I lost a fort to almost exactly the same kind of terrain (irritated me enough to disable aquifers actually).

There weren't any aquifers in the embark though.  Hell, there couldn't be, on the other side of the embark is a volcano (which is why I'm rerouting the river).

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:48:53 pm »

Nevertheless :)

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:03 pm »

There weren't any aquifers in the embark though.  Hell, there couldn't be, on the other side of the embark is a volcano (which is why I'm rerouting the river).
Actually you can get aquifers with volcanoes, it's a regular nuisance where I embark generally.
Try blocking the river with a drawbridge? Drawbridges tend to make good dams in my experience.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:53:07 pm »

Actually you can get aquifers with volcanoes, it's a regular nuisance where I embark generally.
Try blocking the river with a drawbridge? Drawbridges tend to make good dams in my experience.

Next time it freezes, I'll try that.

I have a question though, does the number of z-levels in between a well and its source affect how long it takes a dwarf to use it?  Basically, the river is about 30 z-levels below where my fortress is, so I figured that it would be easier to just dig down to it rather than trying to pump it up.  So, there is a nice long vertical shaft that goes down to where the water cistern will be.  But, will that mean it will take my dwarves a couple minutes to use the well, or does it not matter?

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 09:55:26 pm »

Next time it freezes, I'll try that.

I have a question though, does the number of z-levels in between a well and its source affect how long it takes a dwarf to use it?  Basically, the river is about 30 z-levels below where my fortress is, so I figured that it would be easier to just dig down to it rather than trying to pump it up.  So, there is a nice long vertical shaft that goes down to where the water cistern will be.  But, will that mean it will take my dwarves a couple minutes to use the well, or does it not matter?
Yes, it makes a difference. You can actually watch the little bucket go down the shaft and back up, which takes longer the longer the shaft is. Try to have your wells close to the source if you can, basically, otherwise you'll have a pileup at the well.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »

Another option is since you're digging a hole anyway, you might as well sink several wells (I tend to drop 5 together).  Of course if it does turn out to be an aquifer you could get your water from there...

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »

Yes, it makes a difference. You can actually watch the little bucket go down the shaft and back up, which takes longer the longer the shaft is. Try to have your wells close to the source if you can, basically, otherwise you'll have a pileup at the well.

I figured as much, maybe when I've got the whole thing working I'll look into making a pump stack for it.