Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Villus Mod  (Read 1192 times)

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Villus Mod
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

I'm trying to make a mod based on the races of Vilous, a fictional universe. (http://www.goldring.wikia.org) I'm having trouble figuring the whole thing out. Is it possible to create humanoid sized beaks, or feathers? Is it possible to create a single civ with two distinct races and genders for each that works together? Is it possible to make two different genders be colored in two completely different ways?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes or such, I'm typing this all out on an iPhone. I'll be sure to come back and ask more once I'm home on Monday. I'll be checking the thread then, too.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Villus Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »

Sorry for any grammar mistakes or such, I'm typing this all out on an iPhone. I'll be sure to come back and ask more once I'm home on Monday. I'll be checking the thread then, too.

Ewwww, apple D:< but more to the point, copy-pasta the human thingy (in creature_standard.txt (or elf if it more resembles the elven hierarchy)) and copy it to a new file, make your edits and things, and put it back into the file, then go to "entity_default.txt" and do the same to the dwarven hierarchy, then put it after the races, then search for the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag, and cut it from the dwarves, and put it right under the area tag for the new race!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:57:27 pm »

Ewwww, apple D:< but more to the point, copy-pasta the human thingy (in creature_standard.txt (or elf if it more resembles the elven hierarchy)) and copy it to a new file, make your edits and things, and put it back into the file, then go to "entity_default.txt" and do the same to the dwarven hierarchy, then put it after the races, then search for the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag, and cut it from the dwarves, and put it right under the area tag for the new race!
You don't need to remove the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag from dwarves to be able to play other races.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »

And how would I get it to describe things like beak length, height, tail length, height, etc.? And how do I make different physiologies for different genders? How do I make them drop feathers or fur and such when butchered?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:14 pm »

And how would I get it to describe things like beak length, height, tail length, height, etc.?

From creature_standard.txt:

Quote from: CREATURE:DWARF
    [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:CLOSE_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
            [APP_MOD_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:DEEP_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:ROUND_VS_NARROW:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LARGE_IRIS:25:70:90:100:110:130:200]

It's that simple. Applicable example:

Code: [Select]
    [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:BEAK]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:65:80:90:100:110:120:135]
            [APP_MOD_NOUN:beak:SINGULAR]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:WIDTH:65:80:90:100:110:120:135]
        [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:65:80:90:100:110:120:135]

etc.. You should be able to figure out most of the descriptor types (HEIGHT, WIDTH, etc.) by looking through the vanilla civvers.

And how do I make different physiologies for different genders?

Specifying body parts while a specific caste is selected will result in that body part being applied to that caste (in addition to any declared before that caste was selected).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »

Consider this:

[BODY:BEAK]
   [BP:BEAK:beak:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][MOUTH][SMALL][APERTURE][CATEGORY:BEAK]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:30]

Where the relsize is the relative size of the organ to the body. In theory this should scale with the size of the creature so that human size creatures would by default have appropriately human sized beaks.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 11:37:52 pm »

You can modify that ad hoc like this:
     [RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:BEAK:300]

Making one entity with two races is a bit tricky, you can give it any number of castes, and those castes any gender, but they will all breed with eachother and their children will be a of a random caste, rather then one based of their parents. You can also simply specify two creatures in the entity file, but this just makes it pick one random creature.

As for butchery items, if you give it feathers (look for birds in the stock raws for examples on that) it should drop feathers when butchered. You cant do anything with them, though if you give the material the [TOOTH] and [ITEMS_HARD] tags can solve that.

Fur is bit more tricky, you can either modify the creatures leather material in the creature itself, or you can add a seperate fur material and replace this tag in the skin material
    [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]
with
   [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FUR]
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 05:36:02 am »

How do I make them drop feathers or fur and such when butchered?

If you don't feel like writing this up from scratch yourself, I wrote a fairly straightforward mod a while back that will add fur, scale, gut thread, etc, to your game (as well as adventure mode reactions).  It's here, and should work fine with the latest DF version - just don't use the modded creature raws, since they're from something like .12 or .13.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »

http://pastebin.ca/1959537

What am I doing wrong?

This is pretty much all me just fucking around trying to figure it all out, by the way.