Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battle Realms  (Read 3541 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Battle Realms
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

Battle Realms is an quite old game (And also quite challenging) which faded into obscurity- But still a funny one. It`s a typical RTS-Game, set in an asian setting, with some unique touches. Peasants, for example, are produced for free and don`t just build and harvest but are also trained into soldiers. Oh, and there are Undeads, Samurai, Ninja, Demons, witches, Werewolves, Barbarians, Gunpowder units, monks, wizards, maggot ridden abominations etc. 

I could write much more, but i guess the wikipedia article sums it up better than i can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Realms

The best thing? You can get it for free. Look for a link called Gamesranger patch at the bottom of the site- I won`t give any direct link since i don`t think the Board rules allow it.

Maybe some would like to play a few games, eh?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Realms
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »

I think Battle Realms is one of the few games considered abandonware, even by the developer, and is this legally free.

Don't quote me on that though. I know Nox is legally free now though.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

It is a very nice game, not a classical RTS, and very fun, also rather hard, or it just might be me who played it at a rather young age.The graphics are still one of the more beautifull and it's quite nice to see a 3d RTS from that period that isn't plain ol' ugly.

And kabuki warriors were my favourite for some reason, they were cool, also it was always funny to see a sumo wrestler totting a keg that fires grenades at the enemy enter a dojo and exit a fully armored and very sexy samurai XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:16:32 pm »

Battle Realms.... Ugh.  I could never get past the first level where the main character suddenly decides to start using a pee shooter instead of his big ass sword.  It was pretty cool from the little I could actually finish of it though.  Kinda feels like the precursor to Warcraft 3 or something.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »

Battle Realms.... Ugh.  I could never get past the first level where the main character suddenly decides to start using a pee shooter instead of his big ass sword.  It was pretty cool from the little I could actually finish of it though.  Kinda feels like the precursor to Warcraft 3 or something.

Serpentholm?

God, i nearly despaired, too! I`m currently playing the campaign again (Serpent side this time, though.) And i`m looking forward to and dreading serpentholm at the same time.

Currently i have to kill some wolf clan members- And the a.i is tiresome. I mean, if just one peasant escapes they build new huts and i can search for them. <-<

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 06:35:00 pm »

I tried to play it but whenever I tell my troops to move the game freezes for about a minute so it's basically un-playable for me.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 06:46:27 pm »

Now, that`s strange. I never experienced any problems. (Except some laggs during large battles. Guess it`s the dated engine.)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:58:38 pm »

sounds pretty cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:20 am »

God damn it, that game is hard as hell. I hate it how the enemies can get top tier troops while i can only get second tier units yet.
Serpent clan campaign is even harder than dragon; But Jerkass Kenji is so much fun. Guess i will play a bit dragon clan now, though, for i see no way to defeat the wolf clan at the moment.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:28 am »

I played this a while back, I couldn't imagine playing it now though.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 06:14:23 am »

I think I got to the last mission of the good guy side in one play through, if not last one or two before it... Quite a fun game...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:16:50 am »

Doesnt this game have a ton of factions?
Thank you based dwarf.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:21:55 am »

3 I think, not sure.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 06:31:35 am »

Yeah three if I remember right. Your basic Samuria guys, a 'ninja' esk clan and Mercenary and ronin clan...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 06:35:18 am »

3 I think, not sure.
I was thinking of Warlord's Battlecry
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2