Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress, so crazy it just might work!  (Read 17409 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: Argonnek)
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2010, 06:01:35 am »

Great writing, Duck.  I'm really happy with how integrated all the characters are and how the writing's turning out.

I would like to take aother turn here

Year 13 is yours fivex.  Duck, 14 is yours if you want it.  Otherwise I'll open it up to the general public.

lolghurt, it looks like you're up!  Let's keep the hilarity rolling.
I'll try, but my internet connection is recently being... slow.
like maxing at 10kbps slow.

It may be some time before I can begin ranting about various things.

EDIT OF IRATE FEELINGS.
I START THE DOWNLOAD AT 6:01:35 AM FORUM TIME.
IT FINISHED AT 5:20:12 PM FORUM TIME
ELEVEN HOURS TO DOWNLOAD A NINE MEGABYTE FILE.
OUR CIV HAS NO IMPORTANT LEADERS.

TIME FOR STORY NOW (narrated to the scribbler):
1st Granite
I have been re-instated as leader. With my command, we shall be unconquerable.
but first.
WHO KEEPS OPENING OUR GLORIOUS FORT TO THE ATROCITIES OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD!?
Also our GLORIOUS FORTRESS needs MORE CYAN.
AND MORE FLOORS.
Several days later
WHAT IN THE MERCY OF ARMOK DID THOSE MORONS STICK ON TOP OF MY MEGAPROJECT IT IS NEITHER CYAN NOR DOES IT HAVE ANY AXES OF SYMMETRY.
If we weren't so damn understaffed, I'd drop whoever was responsible off the edge of his or her own blasphemous monstrosity.
An hour later
If we weren't so damn understaffed, I'd be able to tear down that stupid bloody corkscrew. Or at least make it cyan.
28 days later
Forsooth, it has become apparent to me that there is a GIANT FUCKING HOLE IN THE WALL IN ONE OF THE CAVERNS.
WAY TO GO GUYS YOU NEARLY LET A FORGOTTEN BEAST IN.
Also I'm "fixing" the remains of my GLORIOUS MEGAPROJECT.
seven days later
IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT WE ARE SWIMMING IN FOOD AND DRINK. I SAY THAT THIS IS A GOOD DEVELOPMENT.
14 days later
My scribe, write a memo to be given to the next overseer, for I am too busy to deal with this issue myself, what with the restoration of my GLORIOUS MEGAPROJECT underway. "Figure out what to do with the fucking animals. They are filthy. Their reproductive spores cover every surface. They must be purged from this earth if we are to keep it clean and smooth, and above all, cyan."
7 days later
3 days into summer, eh? Interesting. We shall celebrate by expanding what i managed to build of my megaproject. That pattern was gonna loop, but NO, SOMEONE HAD TO BUILD A FUCKING CORKSCREW ON IT.
3 hours later
Scratch that, we can build on top of that corkscrew, can we not? The atmosphere doesn't mysteriously vanish above that level, does it?
17 days later
I have ordered the beginning of another cross, on top of the corkscrew. This time it had better be left alone. Everyone shall be drafted as a mason, except our miners, so we might be able to finish before it is interfered with. AGAIN.
10 days later
I hate summer.
We have run out of adamantine threads
Scribe's note: I will add dates from now on, as I wasn't expecting Lolghurt to not say the day nor the time.
24 Timber
Traders left some objects outside our fortress. These items are slowly disappearing.
Intriguing. We have a thief outside.
Obsidian
I am terribly sorry to be writing this, but Lolghurt has been shouting incomprehensibly all month.
Something about a new leader, ruined projects, and variants of "I'll kill anyone who interferes with my megaproject"
I advise the next leader to leave the current top level of the fortress as it is. He seems to have completed all plans.

SAVE (It's on the 28th of Obsidian, last day of the year)
I received at least two "your fortress has not attracted any migrants this season" message. We are fine, even if we have no civ.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:39:45 am by lolghurt »
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: lolghurt)
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2010, 05:58:14 am »

*Bump*
*Doublepost*
I have finished.
For once I have images, but due to previously mentioned connection speed issues, I am unable to upload them
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: lolghurt)
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:49 am »

Alright!  Let's see if I can help out with your connection issues and upload a map.

Sorry to hear your tubes are so clogged.  I'd suffocate with a connection like that.

Argembarger, it looks like you're up!
At last, she is done.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2010, 09:36:22 am »

(It's on the 28th of Obsidian, last day of the year)
It's of no concern to me, but I'd suggest turning on seasonal (or yearly) autosaves and posting the autosave from the 1st of Granite. If someone has that turned on, they'll be bothered by the autosave right after they load your save.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: Argembarger)
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

Wow I haven't actually been following Whiskeybridle at all. I knew my turn was coming up eventually, but I sort of drifted into the lower forums for a while.

I picked a fantastic time to randomly check in.

Let me read up on what happened, see what horrible, horrible fate befell my dwarf at Lolghurt's hands, and uh try to fit it in between all my classes this week.

EDIT: woo I'm alive

You know what that big, vertical project needs, yeah

a big open-air refuse platform
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:09:14 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2010, 01:36:13 pm »

Looks like a fun idea, I might join in a little later.

I do have a question though; I'm new to the whole dwarf fortress scene so I don't really know how the saves work yet, but am I able to play with a texture pack without corrupting the save?

I'd hate to see you all panicking about ACTUAL objects on the screen. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2010, 12:45:43 am »

(It's on the 28th of Obsidian, last day of the year)
It's of no concern to me, but I'd suggest turning on seasonal (or yearly) autosaves and posting the autosave from the 1st of Granite. If someone has that turned on, they'll be bothered by the autosave right after they load your save.
No, the problem is that right now DF is outright ignoring my init files. Haven't figured out why its only affecting some and not all of my versions of df (each succession has its own folder)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2010, 10:04:11 am »

Shall I move Whiskeybridle to .18? It ought to be stable since it's an even number.

ALSO: I'm sort of busy today... sorry :\ school's cutting majorly into my gaming time in general. I plan to start this tomorrow afternoon/evening, because Friday.
I can see it now.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:13 pm »

I haven't paid any attention to the .18 bugs, so I don't know how stable it is.

It's up to you.  If you want to move it over for all the fun stuff and you think it's stable enough I'd go for it.  Might be fun if we got some haunting.  I don't know if everyone ended up buried or not.
At last, she is done.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2010, 01:27:09 am »

I haven't paid any attention to the .18 bugs, so I don't know how stable it is.

It's up to you.  If you want to move it over for all the fun stuff and you think it's stable enough I'd go for it.  Might be fun if we got some haunting.  I don't know if everyone ended up buried or not.
There's a ton of coffins in the mini-pyramid.
The only ghosts would be if someone died reaching the magma or something.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »

From my limited experience only ghosts would be dwarves that died after migration to 0.17/.18 version.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2010, 04:59:17 pm »

Duck, 14 is yours if you want it.  Otherwise I'll open it up to the general public.
I think I'll pass for now; I may request another turn later.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2010, 05:38:51 pm »

Sure thing, looks like year 14 is up for grabs.

Also, my last turn we still had pretty great fps.  I think during my next turn I'm going to try getting everyone to pair up if they still haven't done that yet.  Then, I'm going to let the fort just run for 12-15 years in the background to get a slightly larger workforce going.

I need more warm bodies for my future plans.

* Graebeard laughs manically.
At last, she is done.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2010, 02:15:16 pm »

So um I'm neck deep in schoolwork this weekend and

It's looking like I'll be even busier when I enter the week itself.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to ask for a skip :(
I can see it now.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2010, 02:41:27 pm »

Yeah, I'm getting towards finals myself.  It's a bummer how much school interferes with my DF time.

Xenos, it looks like you're up!
At last, she is done.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12