Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress, so crazy it just might work!  (Read 17408 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: Argonnek)
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »

Love has bloomed in the fortress of Whiskeybridle!

The Doctor Datost and the Scribbler Ducim have started eying each other amorously, perhaps this will mean marriage!

Love had bloomed before between the original Graebeard and Fivex, but they're both dead now.
I have proof:

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2010, 04:47:12 pm »

Even between crazies and obsessive maniacs... love can bloom.
That was actually a reference, I bet nobody gets it though.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Izual6764

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2010, 02:17:40 am »

@Oglokoog
Let me guess... Metal Gear Solid? Can't remember which one, though.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:52 am »

I love how the first google result for "Even between crazies and obsessive maniacs... love can bloom." (without quotation marks of course) is the TvTropes Ax Crazy page.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2010, 05:06:52 am »

Try just "love can bloom".
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2010, 12:56:09 pm »

I've been wondering something. Has my character created an artifact? If so, Where is it?
He claims to be the creator of Niral Dal:

And yet there seems to be no such artifact made in our fortress:

I'm pretty sure that any artifact created in the fort would be listed, and if it was no longer on site, it would be listed as 'lost.' Has the way artifacts get listed been changed in the new version?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

Autumn Report of the fortress Whiskeybridle.

We've embarked upon the final leg of the year, we shall continue to live and live well thanks to those before me. I believe I've done a fine job of keeping us alive and fed, I've not caused any deaths and have brought us closer than we were before.

But we still have one season to go. If we don't do anything idiotic, the current way of things will continue without interruption.

Forgive me for these very short reports, but we all know that the biggest danger in the fortress at the moment is the alarming number of useless animals we have.

And finally, here is the broker's report on our status:

Note: I have begun flooring projects in the floorless areas of the first cavern, as there is far, far too much loose stone in this fortress.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:10:09 pm by Argonnek »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2010, 04:14:45 pm »

((OOC: I hate to triple post, but there's very little activity right now.))
Final status report under Argonnekkian rule.

We have made it, my stint here is done, I thank you all for cooperating and for not getting yourselves killed.
I feel I have achieved a good deal. I cleared the loose orthoclase, I have reduced the amount of floorless open space in the first cavern, I caged the animal menace, I stockpiled the irritatingly loose gems, and I have expanded our food stores.

I now formally pass on the leadership role to DuckThatQuacks.
There are a few jobs left unfinished, as there is too much ore. I have left orders to smelt enough of it to reduce the stone numbers to 30. I recommend that you allow the ores to be smelted and create nickel bins to store the resulting bars. I began the process, but further work will be necessary.

Well, that about sums it up. I've mentioned what needs to be done above, so here is the save.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

I'm going to be boarding a flight soon, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow at least to get started on this. Expect the first update at/around Tuesday.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

This is a stone tablet. It does not menace with spikes of any sort, nor is it adorned with any hanging rings. On it are an engraver's musings. The musings are inlaid in the stone, blending with it to form a perfectly smooth surface.

1 Granite, 1058:
At last, I am in command. I can run this fortress much more effectively than the idiots who have been in charge so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those short-sighted fools were obsessed with "cleanliness" and "symmetry" and "soap" (actually, I rather like soap; it's very... smooth). They failed to see the real problem facing Whiskeybridle:

So... much.... unsmoothed stone! And not only did they fail to smooth the stone caverns they carved out from the earth, they also committed an aesthetic atrocity when constructing the tower:

Such poor decisions ensure that the tower is nothing more than a monument to their madness.

It is a stressful time to be a reasonable dwarf here in Whiskeybridle. Fortunately, I have persevered

and am now in a position to correct the situation.

My first act as overseer will be to order all dwarves to smoothing duty, except for three masons whose job will be to produce smooth stone blocks for future constructions.

4 Granite, 1058:
It has come to my attention that in the lowest cavern the miners have spotted adamantine, smoothest of metals. I have taken our best miner off of smoothing duty and sent him to harvest the wonderful material.

24 Granite, 1058:
Work has been progressing slowly but smoothly. However, today I received reports of a living fireball in the upper caverns.

According to the books of lore, this can only be Zikoth Dusaksoshosh, a dread beast not seen since the world was young. We are few enough as it is, so I can't possibly sacrifice any dwarves in a battle with a sentient ball of flame. We'll have to leave it be.

27 Granite, 1058:
I noticed today a small gap in our walls, through which I could glimpse the caverns. Worrying about Zikoth (who, if the books are to believed, has wings and can presumably fly, despite its bloated body), I ordered it sealed (with smooth stone blocks, of course).

7 Felsite, 1058:
The caverns must be a nice place for ancient terrors to hang out, as Zikoth appears to have invited a friend:

15 Felsite, 1058:

I've invited the elves inside to trade. We're busy, but I'm sure we'll get around to it eventually. Many of my compatriots hate them, but I rather like elves. They're very... smooth creatures. Perhaps we dwarves could learn something from them.

28 Felsite, 1058:
We've brought most of the goods we're trading to the elves in the trade depot, but we still haven't found time to actually trade with them (there is so much to be smoothed!). Tomorrow will mark a new season. I plan to celebrate it by introducing a landmark piece of legislation.

Sorry about the rather uneventful update. It took longer than I expected, because the first time through the game crashed halfway through Slate. Almost exactly the same things were happening, though, including the appearance of a forgotten beast on 24 Granite. That one was a little more menacing, though.

Edit: "Update" is a better word than "turn".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:16:54 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »

1 Hematite, 1058:
Attention, dwarves of Whiskeybridle: from this day forth, beards are no longer permitted. All male dwarves (and any females who might have beards) are required to shave their beards immediately. Any dwarf found with more than 1/256 of an inch of facial hair will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It is only with smooth faces that we can move forward to our glorious future.

- DuckThatQuacks, Overseer

3 Hematite, 1058:
The men have been complaining quite a lot about my groundbreaking new law. I think they are slacking off as a form of protest. I'll need to find something to motivate them.

5 Hematite, 1058:
A dwarf came sprinting back into the fortress today. He rushed into my office and desperately tried to tell me something.

"Oh Armok (*gasp*) they're coming!" he said, his face a mask of terror.
"What? Who is it? Who's coming?" I asked him.
"(*pant*) The el- (*wheeze*) It's the el- (*cough*)"
"Spit it out, man! Are the elves attacking us?"
"No, ma'am! It's worse," he said. "It's the elephants."

"What? Everyone knows that elephants are just stories told to scare dwarf chil-" I was interrupted by a thunderous trumpeting from outside that seemed to shake the earth itself.

I felt the blood drain out of my face.

But as the overseer of this fort, I don't have the luxury of being afraid -- I have a mission, and I will complete it. I forced myself to keep the fear out of my voice.

"Did they chase you?" I asked the shaking dwarf.
"No, ma'am, I don't think so. They didn't seem interested in coming after me."
"Alright, let's hope they stay away. When the elves leave, we'll have to seal the fortress again -- we don't want them getting in."

6 Hematite, 1058:
Attention, dwarves of Whiskeybridle: from this day forth, any dwarf not clean-shaven shall be thrown to the elephants. Any dwarf not deemed sufficiently productive shall be thrown to the elephants. Any dwarf actively engaged in sedition against my rule shall be thrown to the elephants. Have a nice day.

- DuckThatQuacks, Overseer

9 Hematite, 1058:
It seems that the dwarves' motivational problems have evaporated. Nothing like good motivation for producing results.

10 Hematite, 1058:
The elves announced that they would be leaving soon, so we finally got around to trading with them. We gave them several piles of knick-knacks in exchange for wood, food, and drinks.

23 Malachite, 1058:
The otherwise calm summer has been interrupted by a grim event:

I wonder what's so interesting about the caverns that they attract so many ancient horrors.

28 Galena, 1058:
Work continues to proceed smoothly. The men are getting used to doing without their beards. Things are so much nicer now. However, our numbers are few, and our policy of splendid isolation means that no migrants will be coming from the mountainhomes. We'll have to do something about that -- perhaps during the next season.

Another uneventful season. I guess that's what happens when you have thirteen dwarves in a hermetically sealed fort.

Also, rather than risk encountering weird bugs in version .17, I'll just stick with .16 for the remainder of my turn.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 09:12:31 pm »

Probably a good idea to stick with .16 for the time being if the history of odd-numbered releases continues.

Also, this beardlessness is intolerable.  A shaggy beard is one thing, but mine was so neatly combed!  There may be retribution in order once I regain command...
At last, she is done.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:59 pm »

Also, this beardlessness is intolerable.  A shaggy beard is one thing, but mine was so neatly combed!  There may be retribution in order once I regain command...

If you would like to discuss alternatives to beardlessness, you may take it up with our beard-stylist, Mr. L. E. Faunt.

1 Limestone, 1058:
Whiskeybridle has only one chance at long-term prosperity: reproduction. We simply must have children, or our fort will die, and the ravages of time will destroy the smoothness we have worked so hard to create.

Unfortunately, we are all so busy that we rarely have time to talk to each other. I've ordered all dwarves to spend the autumn socializing. Hopefully the forced interaction will produce some lasting relationships.

1 Moonstone, 1058:
Well, that was an unequivocal failure. Not one additional couple after an entire season of mandatory social interaction! I for one blame the unattractiveness of the men -- the beardlessness helps, but they still seem very rough. Oh well, back to work -- there is still smoothing (and a lot of hauling) to do.

3 Sandstone, 1058:
We have a great deal of clutter in the fort, but we've run out of bins! I've ordered a handful of wooden bins built for the short term, and some copper ones for the medium term. But we have limited quantities of wood and copper, and the long-term success of Whiskeybridle depends upon nice, smooth bins (wood in particular does not fit the bill), so I've made sure to implement a long-term solution.

1 Granite, 1058:
Things are going reasonably well.

I've implemented a number of policies that will ensure that the fort will continue running smoothly. It hardly needs an active leader, now. So I think that I will step aside, and focus on smoothing the rough stone that still remains in the fort.

I know that some of my policies have not been entirely popular (whenever radical changes must be made, there are always those who stubbornly resist, no matter what benefits the changes bring). I have even heard whispers of possible attacks against my life. Fortunately, I've planned for that:

And that concludes my turn. Not much happened, but I feel that I have set us on the path to a better tomorrow. Also:

Map has been uploaded, but I can't seem to see the lower levels (I would have put a P.O.I. for the adamantine mines there): http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9818-whiskybridle

Save has also been uploaded: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3402

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2010, 01:46:16 pm »

I would like to take aother turn here
I think you might have not noticed this post.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2010, 02:57:55 am »

Great writing, Duck.  I'm really happy with how integrated all the characters are and how the writing's turning out.

I would like to take aother turn here

Year 13 is yours fivex.  Duck, 14 is yours if you want it.  Otherwise I'll open it up to the general public.

lolghurt, it looks like you're up!  Let's keep the hilarity rolling.
At last, she is done.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12