Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress, so crazy it just might work!  (Read 17427 times)

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: Analog)
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2010, 08:58:44 am »

... I took a look at the map... Spirals everywhere! :)
I'll grab the save later when I'm on my desktop at home.
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »

Took a couple screenshots of the work I did.  I think the stonesense one turned out best, but figured I'd post the overseer ones as well for comparison.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey analog, have you been able to play at all?
At last, she is done.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2010, 01:37:25 am »

The upper corner in the first shot needs a microcline wall to be put in.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: Argembarger)
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:57 am »

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

I lol'd  :D
Posting to follow. I don't have the required... um, talents to play a year, sadly.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2010, 09:21:08 am »

Hey analog, have you been able to play at all?

No man. I'm really sorry but I don't think I'll be able to make anymore time for it with my free time rapidly declining. I'll pass my turn so the OCD can go on!
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2010, 09:28:54 am »

This is pretty amazing.

One thing though.  Earlier on someone mentioned your civ is extinct.  That may explain why you are getting no migrants.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2010, 12:08:37 pm »

Alrighty, looks like you're up Argonnek.  I've been fiddeling around with the fort for a few days, and I've got another save you can start from if you want.  Basically I spent a year pumping magma into the cavern lake at the bottom so the stairs don't have to jog over to go through the natural pillar.

If you'd rather play from that one just let me know and I'll post it with a quick story and you can go from there.  Otherwise, you can just start from the last save I posted here.
At last, she is done.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (Turn: Argonnek)
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2010, 07:01:46 pm »

Posted on the noticeboard in the exact center of the dining area, written in perfect handwriting with the letters slanted exactly 45 degrees.

The Spring report of the fortress of Atilshalig, in the words of the esteemed Armorer Argonnek.
We have survived for the first season of the accursed year, but we still have three more to go.

I have decided that there should be no animals without purpose roaming the halls. Four cages of the same quality have been placed at the four points of the compass, each exactly ten paces from the center of the dining hall. All hoofed creatures belong on the north-south axis, while all non-hoofed creatures belong on the east-west axis. All adult animals are to be placed in the northern and eastern cages and all young animals are to be placed in the southern and western cages.

Our food storage has been lacking, so I have placed stockpiles one floor below out current ones, in exactly the same shape with the exact same allowed contents.

I have decided that I shall not be undertaking any large construction projects, for that would require stone that I am not willing to clutter our home with.

The elves were seen at our borders, supposedly to trade, and were set upon by Kobold insurgents. I promise you that I will most definitely NOT open our walls unless absolutely necessary.

May Atęsh be with us all.

Edit: I'm getting an average of 20-ish FPS, and there are far too many animals. Also, it's a little disquieting to see how even everything is.

The stockpiles are awful, how will we ever support a large population with so little room for food? (we will eventually breed ourselves a large pop)

Edit2: I notice I've been given the legendary armorer as a dwarf (not a complaint), but I don't see the artifact he created. Was it stolen? destroyed?

Edit3: Sorry for the short update, but I'm kinda tired and there really wasn't anything interesting going on.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:50:25 pm by Argonnek »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2010, 08:26:55 am »

The stockpiles are awful, how will we ever support a large population with so little room for food? (we will eventually breed ourselves a large pop)

Yeah, I had the same thought at the end of my turn.  Then I wondered that we didn't have any children.  I first thought of infanticide, but I don't think there was any intentional child-murder.  Then I checked out my relationships.

That seems a bit... sparse... for 7 years with just a small group of us.  Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the, uh, issues we all have.
At last, she is done.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »

1 tile meeting hall. 

Marriages, love, children, tantrum spirals.  It's the dwarven cycle of life.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2010, 07:33:49 pm »

Events of 22nd of Galena, 1057.

Usasp sloshed through the underground lake, calmly exploring the cave systems. In the distance, it notices a wall that is not of natural origin. What could have made a wall? Walls aren't made, they're just there, right? But if walls can be made, then they can be destroyed too, right?

This required quite some time to process, and the enormous mite decided it needed to slosh some more to properly think.

After many hours' deliberation, Usasp decided that it would try to destroy a wall. It splashes determinedly toward the first wall it spots, completely sure that any wall would do. It did its best to loom over the offending edifice and gave it a mighty kick with its right first leg. The impertinent stone refused to budge. Taken aback, Usasp continued to thrash the barrier, and yet nothing about it was altered.

Frustrated, Usasp consented to continued nomadic jaunting.

Argonnek was irate. Not just irate in his usual manner, caused by the sloppy handwriting of those around him, but irate in a special way that can only be caused when there are too many animals and not enough space to store their entrails should they be slaughtered. Why are there so many disease buckets in this fort? Argonnek thought, If they keep breeding like kittens, then we'll have so many animals that the cages won't be able to hold them!

Argonnek tried to walk it off by doing seven laps up and down the stairs, and decided to check the date. "Late summer? Blast!" He had work to do.

"DuckThatQuacks!" Hollered Argonnek from his room. She arrived a while later, explaining that she had seen some rough patches on the floor that she couldn't ignore.

"Whatever," Argonnek murmured, "You have shown interest in becoming the leader around here, correct?"

"Yes," she stated smoothly, "I shall see to it that my year as leader runs as smoothly as the floors in the dining hall."

"Good to hear, but do you have what it takes to lead a batch of dwarves such as us?" Argonnek gave her a glance filled with what appeared to be steel. "Each dwarf has his own set of irrefutable needs, such as your need for smoothness, or enosX's need for alphabetical order. Are you able to accommodate for these needs?"

"Yes." DuckThatQuacks said shortly. "But I'm not in command now, so why do I need to stand here wasting precious time I could be spendingfinishingsomerequiredsmoothing!" Her eye started to twitch violently.

"Fine, go, but remember-"

She had already left, and he could hear the sound of engraver's tools at work.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »

I would like to take aother turn here

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »

Posted on the dining room's noticeboard, written in 45 degree angle text.

Summer report.
After having a chat with out broker, I have copied and posted the current wealth of our fortress:

As you all can see, we number only 13. While a pleasing number due to the fact that it is prime, we would do well to "increase the flock" to prevent us from dying out completely. My suggestion is to increase our numbers to about 29, also a prime number, before we place a conception ban to allow for optimum work distribution and disallow overpopulation. To accomplish this, I have lowered the work load on all of us so that we may converse and hopefully intermarry.

May Atęsh be with us all.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:36 pm »

I am interested to see who, um, gets close with whom.  I expect hilarity will ensue.
At last, she is done.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2010, 07:31:26 am »

I am interested to see who, um, gets close with whom.  I expect hilarity will ensue.
All those filthy spores floating around.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12