Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress, so crazy it just might work!  (Read 17411 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 01:49:50 am »

And it must be a fractal!  place the dwarves in an alphabetical pattern throughout it.

Name my dwarf "enosX"  (Xenos but alphabetical order ;D)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 05:02:27 am »

And it must be a fractal!  place the dwarves in an alphabetical pattern throughout it.

Name my dwarf "enosX"  (Xenos but alphabetical order ;D)
You can have your silly need for alphabetical order and perfect 3d symmetry.
I
MUST
HAVE
FLOORS

Also are there any rules regarding which dwarfs can be killed?
"Assuming you don't all kill each other first"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:07:08 am by lolghurt »
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:49:50 am »

Act I Scene 2

Setting: The Road.

The wagon trundles along, wheels skipping over rocks and dips while the passengers stare blankly into the distance.

“We’ve been traveling for a long time now Graebeard, don’t you think it’s about time to pick a site for our new home?” said the pudgy Erith as she rhythmically clenched and opened her hands.

The eight exiles had set off before the height of winter.  Now winter was drawing to a close and their modest stores of cat biscuits and plump helmets was running low.

Graebeard, staring straight down the road, replied “You know we can’t stop until we find a place without any dirt.”

He was gaunt before the trip began.  Now he looked emaciated.  Just a bag of skin holding his bones and withering organs together.  But his fingernails were still clean.  Yes, very clean.

“You know that’s not going to happen.  The world is made of dirt” she said.

Graebeard blinked, seemingly with his whole face.  Erith had been confused by this at the beginning of the trip, but she slowly came to realize that he blinked every time the wagon passed a willow tree.  Poor soul.

“I said we keep going.”

“Look, I know you’re…”

“This is very simple” he sighed, “we go until we find a place with no dirt.  We can’t have our home be all dirty.”

“But we’re running out of food.”

“We?”  he said with a sick smile.  “You look just like her, you know.  The Queen.  Fat.  Fat and sloppy.”  He unconsciously caressed the pick at his side.

“OK” she burst “we’ve all been willing to let you lead this far, but there’s only so much we can put up with.  What happens when we run out of food?”

The six other passengers continue to stare into the distance, refusing to make eye contact with the other dwarfs.  The wagon, now following a winding river, gave a sharp jolt as a wheel bounces over a large rock.

“Did you know what a prime number is?”  he asked.

“What?  I don’t know what you’re…”

“It’s not even.  No, it’s not even at all.  Even is best, but at least it’s prime.”

“What is prime?”

“Seven” he said as his pick flashed out, the flat striking her in the temple.

The six other dwarfs didn’t flinch, didn’t even break their gaze, as Erith’s unconscious body fell from the wagon into the river.

“There” he said “now we don’t have to worry so much about food.”  He smiled to himself.  “And I don’t even have to wash my pick.”

The wagon continued down the road.

Xenos: a booming cry declares: "Enough! Fifth honor goes, in just kind, lo. My newly opened path quietly runs straight towards utopia.  Very wise Xenos: you're zenith."

loglhurt: It might be poor taste to kill a nicknamed dwarf or, like, a legendary armorer.  Otherwise, just be sure you clean up any mess.

Right now I'm at 3rd Galena.  I should be able to wrap up my turn and get a decent narrative up (and the map and save) by late tonight/tomorning.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:40:45 pm by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 03:01:20 pm »

Act I Scene 3

Setting: Volcanic Foothills.

Grinding to a stop, the wagon’s wheels gently settle into the soft yellow sand that extends as far as the eye can see in three directions.  Directly ahead are steep metamorphic hills.  Volcanic smoke from “The Spicy Fire” rises in the distance, though the caldera itself is not in view.

“Here.”

“Here?  Are you sure?”

“Yes.  There is no dirt here, only sand.  We will make our life here at the side of the mountain.  We will transform these sands into a glistening sanctuary.  Green and hard.  Sharp and slick.  Free of error, corruption, and impurity.  Perfect.  We are home.”

The seven grasp their tools and begin to work.
At last, she is done.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:05 pm »

As here is magma, sand.  Yessssss..... Able am I blood & dandruff mix whenever created artwork, deadly instruments; am I satisfied?

(TRANSLATION:  Yessssss...Sand is here, as is magma.  Whenever I am able to mix the blood and dandruff of the earth to create works of art, and instruments of death I am satisfied.)

I think I will not put my words in ABSOLUTE alphabetical order, but rather keep phrases alphabetical.  Make sure you guys order plenty of pearlash, potash, lye, and logs.  I want to work with clear glass...and can we have one unified goal that we all must work on in addition to whatever CDO whims we get during our year?  ;D

EDIT:  Can I be our architect/mason?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:04:37 pm by Xenos »
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

Alright, that introduction has sold me on this.

Throw me in next available turn. Name a random dwarf after me.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:54 am »

Am I allowed to change EAT_SAPIENT from UNTHINKABLE to ACCEPTABLE, or is that going too far? (Lye maker roast anyone?)
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 03:18:34 am »

Am I allowed to change EAT_SAPIENT from UNTHINKABLE to ACCEPTABLE, or is that going too far? (Lye maker roast anyone?)
Yes but it wouldn't effect anything because entity changes require a regen no matter what.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 08:36:48 am »

Yes but it wouldn't effect anything because entity changes require a regen no matter what.
Fine, I'll feed them to the elven scum instead.
EDIT: You'll see why i can't do that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:01:38 am by lolghurt »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 09:52:53 am »

Act II Scene 1

Setting: Whiskeybridle, Graebeard’s Room.

Graebeard lies on his bed, scratching away at his journal.  The room is perfectly neat but for the flurry of half-finished designs surrounding him on the bed and sliding onto the floor.

He speaks to himself as he reviews what has been written and begins to write anew.

1 Granite.

“Obviously, it had to be a circle.  We all agreed on that.  I was fine with simple bilateral, but enosX insisted on perfect symmetry.  More is always better, so I started drawing up plans.  The walls are a pure white; symbolic of our new start.  There will be plenty of time and space for glass later.  For now we are as pure as snow.”

“The underground will, of course, mirror the above ground structure.  We will not mine outside the footprint of our fledgling tower.”

2 Granite.

“An unexpected complication.  There is no dirt here.  But neither is there soil for planting or water for irrigating.  We have no musky fundament in which to plant our seed.  Perhaps the rain will come to our aid…”

5 Granite.

“There is plentiful obsidian in these hills near the volcano.  This we will use for our furnishings.  The hard and glimmering sheen of Armok’s glass reflects the strength and edge of our souls.  Later we may need to create our own.  For now we dig out what Armok has given us.”

“The rain will not help.  These murky pools dry as quickly as the rain fills them.  We must find some other way.”

1 Felsite.

“There is a cavern below our feet, a cavern where water and fertile soil abound.  There’s no way I’m wallowing in the mud down there, but others are willing to go and plant crops.”

25 Hemetite.

“Seven other freaks have found their way to our home and wish to stay.  Some may be useful.”

3 Galena.

“The farm is producing plump helmets now.  Thank god.  I almost died of thirst when we ran out of booze.”

15 Sandstone.

“More migrants.  Seven once more.  Three sevens, it must be a sign.”

“The halls are beginning to feel… cluttered.  I do not know how many more times I can stand that grimy clothier brushing up against me.”

22 Sandstone.

“We’ve been pumping out obsidian crafts for some time now in anticipation of trade.  The figurines Ducim creates are extraordinary.  Today marked his first masterwork.  The detail on this thing is amazing.  I’m sure such work must tax him greatly.”

24 Sandstone.

“Busy month.  Morul the wood burner was the first of us to snap.  He hijacked the forge, grabbed some iron, and ran around drawing something no one can make out.  He looks pained.  He scribbles franticly, tracing the lines again and again.  His marks look more and more like an open black maw waiting to consume me.”

3rd Timber.

“No one is sure, but some think Morul’s drawings are stacks of cloth.  I thought so too, but he merely flings away the cloth we show him.  He has not slept or eaten since his breakdown.  I do not have much hope for him.”

25 Moonstone.

“Morul lost whatever shred of sanity he had left today.  Breaking a months-long silence he began stumbling around muttering gibberish.  I felt sorry for him until I saw him throwing his filthy clothes around the dining hall.  Such a mess.  There’s no way I’m touching his refuse, and for some reason I can’t convince the others to either.  Magma may be the only realistic solution to Morul’s sock problem.”

10 Obsidian.

“I feel a little… hazy.  The last thing I remember it was the middle of Opal.  I was staring at Morul’s socks and fingering my pick as the rage welled up inside me.  I felt myself smile as something deep inside me moved.”

“Waking up on the floor near the mason shop I hurt.  I was confused about how I got up several flights of stairs without remembering it.  I was ravenous, dying of thirst, and my hands were covered with cuts and scrapes.  My fingernails were filthy.  Those surrounding looked at me but wouldn’t meet my gaze.  I asked how long I’d been out.  ‘Months,’ one said.”

“I gazed to my left and saw a thing more beautiful possible.  It was a hatch cover.  A threshold barrier to keep the chaotic world at bay.  Gleaming obsidian with exquisite silk decorations.  ‘Stalrakas’ came unbidden to my lips. ‘It means ‘busted stranger.’  There could be no more auspicious name.”

“I refused the others’ help as I rose to my feet.  Taking my creation gently in my hands I went to my burrow, removed the roughshod obsidian hatch cover that was there, and replaced it with Stalrakas.  Now I could abide in my burrow truly protected from the world.  This space is small, but it is a perfect haven.  When I return here the chaos and confusion melt away as I pass Stalrakas.  Here I am at peace.”

22 Obsidian.

“The happenings in the fort barely penetrate into my burrow now.  Ducim’s hold on reality loosened a bit as news circulated of thieves making off with two of his prized masterwork crafts.  Hopefully their loss is not enough to send him over the edge like Morul.  Morul.  A smile flashed across my face as I recalled his death a few days ago.  He finally fell from lack of alcohol.  He deserved much worse.  His socks still mock me, defying reason as they refuse to be moved from the dining hall.”

“It must be something with that name.  This is the second Morul to mar one of my creations.  I must address the Morul problem preemptively the next time I find one.”

“As the year draws to a close I consider what we’ve accomplished.  Much work remains.  We have barely plumbed the depths of this place.  At three stories tall the tower does not even scratch the sky.  There is no permanent home for our workshops, no permanent source of fresh water, and no reasonable way to protect ourselves.  But what we do have is beautiful.  It shines with the unspoken promise of what this fortress will become.  It is a start.”

The save.  The map.

Lolghurt: You're up, knock 'em dead.  Heh.  Can you dwarf Arembarger and enosX?

Arembarger: You're on the list!  Glad we could hook you.  Lolghurt will have to name your dwarf for you.
At last, she is done.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 11:16:00 am »

in the tower sand...*twitch*...around channel out sand the tower. Construct floors from obsidian only.  Any crystals of rock?  Construct dome using...yes...

T:  Get rid of the sand in the lower levels of the tower, channel out the sand immediately surrounding the tower?  make the floors of tower from obsidian.  And has anyone seen any sign of rock crystals?  I want to make a crystal glass dome if we have them then...

I also think grinding architecture will be an excellent way of disposing stone ;D
[DWARFINEERING]

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 11:27:45 am »

And has anyone seen any sign of rock crystals?  I want to make a crystal glass dome if we have them then...

I haven't seen any yet, but I haven't dug very deep or very wide.  I love crystal glass as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, the stone left at the end of my turn:  16 quartzite, 12 obsidion, 4 other miscellaneous.  32 total.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:34:36 am by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 01:56:47 pm »

I saw a roomful of ore at the bottom of the map you uploaded...had that been used by the end? 
[DWARFINEERING]

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 02:36:16 pm »

No, I wasn't counting that.  I only meant to count buildable stone in the 90-stone limit.

However, I hope we can keep the ore manageable once we reach magma and can smelt it en masse.
At last, she is done.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 01:23:43 am »

Can we upgrade to 31.16?
are there any init file restrictions?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12