Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Which part of creating a fortress you like the most?  (Read 5053 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which part of creating a fortress you like the most?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 03:16:25 pm »

I like finding ways to work with the shape of the stone. eg, the surface level is going to be a volcano-shaped fortress. The first cavern will be a stalagmite/stalactite Venice. I haven't looked at the next two caverns enough to know what I might plan there. I also like designing traps that are effective (and sadistic) while disrupting the shape of the stone as little as possible.

I like a good battle, and spoils of war, but that part is never going to be as fun as adventure mode. I like fortress mode for the things you can't do in adventure mode.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 04:06:40 pm »

I like building above-ground constructions the most. Defying the laws of gravity, tempting fate, etc. I also get a genuine thrill whenever I get a Strange Mood.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 04:47:33 pm »

I like genning the world and designing the fort.

fort management and invasions aren't really fun for me, but modding and megaprojects are.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 05:42:31 pm »

I like genning the world and designing the fort.

fort management and invasions aren't really fun for me, but modding and megaprojects are.
In approx 2 months since I discovered DF I've only gotten past this stage less than 10 times, & only one of those made it to the 1st migrant wave (forgot to pause whilst AFK).

So I'm guessing this is my favourite bit.

GenexController

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 06:36:03 pm »

When you have the resources to make a floor that spans the entire map's canyon without any supports and have it still standing.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »

When I've got provision of the basic necessities of food, shelter and protection ticking over and can start indulging my dwarves with sculpture parks, art galleries and water features.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 07:06:59 pm »

I prefer the point where all the necessities are handled, but I don't yet have enough dwarves that I have to spend all my time reducing the population managing the affairs of my oh so happy populace.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:25 pm »

Gen and initial setup so far....but like the guy a few above me thats mostly all i do, not tried seiges yet, aiming for a smoother start first.

Each fort teaches me something...in my first i learned about caveins....this time its booze supply and how (not) to use pumps....plus dont blindly skip messages (cavern and DOOOOOOM)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 07:49:49 pm »

Fort building.  I know that sounds like a generic response, but it's the initial set-up like figuring out what to build where, and then later on, expanding my fort and conquering the caverns.

Sieges, forgotten beasts, etc... are just constant annoyances for me.  If cage traps weren't magic and if building destroyers could knock out raised drawbridges, etc... and they happened less frequently (even at high levels of fort wealth), they'd be more challenging and less annoying.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 07:54:37 pm »

I like early game, when I can micro manage my dwarfs to full effect and there are zero slackers. Nothing more satisfying then seeing seven dwarfs do early game what would take a lot more late game.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 07:57:40 pm »

Using my drawbridge to recycle cats into valuable carbon atoms.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 11:37:03 pm »

Using my drawbridge to recycle cats into valuable carbon atoms.

yes

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »

My favorite part is right about where I have 15 smelters and 5 forges going converting the earth's bounty into barrels, bins, cages, and trap components, while the neighboring Kobold civilization is too terrified to set foot near my fortress and the local Goblins provide yearly 40-Goblin sacrifices to my execution tower.

So about the 50- to 80-Dwarf mark.
Sanity is for the weak.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 04:41:19 am »

The best part for me is reading the engravings, and seeing which bits, in retrospective, make legendary reading.  Like how they can't stop going on about the awesome dog bone earring (worth 1200) that someone made 5 years ago, or being able to work out who killed who through the floor pictures.

But not so much when it's all pictures of cheese, dwarves eating cheese, or artifacts concerning cheese....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 05:21:22 am »

The mid-game mostly for me
Pages: 1 [2] 3