Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Which part of creating a fortress you like the most?  (Read 5059 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which part of creating a fortress you like the most?
« on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:41 pm »

As in the topic. Which part of setting up your fortress you like?
Either it is the very beginning when you scan the area for ideas and find uses for your 7 dwarves.
Or in the middle when you have +50 dwarves and you mainly try to keep them happy.
Or the very "end game" when you have a huge ass population, adamantine tooth brushes and pet dragons for dwarven kids to play with (plus you annihilate pretty much anything that faces you).

I personally like the "early" gameplay most. While I often do similar things every time I embark (order chopping down trees, build beds etc) I like the feeling when I finally get the fortress up and running. It's like in the game "Evil Genius" where the "evil" stuff is OK but building your keep is the REAL fun.
I also noticed that I often leave fortresses that reach the 50 population stage to make new ones. I had one that reached the mentioned "adamantine toothbrushes" level but tbh until I "accidentally" flooded it all with magma it wasn't really fun for me ;).

Which part do you like the most?
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Which part of creating a fortress you like the most?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »

I love the part where I have no idea what is going on and there are limbs flying everywhere.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »

I like it when the caravans come and I get to ransack the elves' caravan.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »

Probably the midgame when I have around 100 dwarves and my anti-goblin defenses are in full use.

Or the lategame when I'm covering the map with megastructures.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 01:00:57 pm »

When the initial panic to get the forges up and running is over, and a steel clad military strikes down the first ambush.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »

Genning the world, looking for a site, and making grand plans for interesting sites.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 01:04:38 pm »

I love the part where I have no idea what is going on and there are limbs flying everywhere.

I laughed just the right amount for this to be sig'd
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »

Genning the world, looking for a site, and making grand plans for interesting sites.

This.

And also losing spectacularly or very pathetically and thinking of the epic story that the Fortress has made for the world. The desperation of trying to keep your dorfs alive when you've been struck by a goblin ambush you're unprepared for is the most Fun for me.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 01:35:19 pm »

I like the randomly generated narrative.  I've been reading LPs at work, and it's great how much depth and personality there is.  I'm currently finishing up Syrupleaf which is a great example.  Every dwarf has a personality and visual description and anything can happen.  I don't really play to accomplish anything, though the sense of accomplishment is definitely amazing when you're learning this game.  I play just to see what will happen.  Will Urist McLegendary ever get taken down?  Will Uristess McHousewife snap when her husband falls in battle?  Will engravings honor the accomplishments of the local heroes, or spread doom and despair among the populace?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

At the end when armok smiles down on my last dwarf and says "pull the lever its all over anyways" and my fortress falls into the sea
 :)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 02:20:13 pm »

When my marksdwarves rush into the siege, briefly showing off their "Dabbling Hammerdwarf" skills.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »

Whenever my FPS is high.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 02:46:24 pm »

I'm addicted to worldgen and early play.

Eventually I figure I'll get good enough at that part to do it AND set up an effective military.

Panicking when the squad of trolls overrun your defenses and head straight for your meeting area, only to realize that two swordsdwarves at practice (hey, it WAS a good idea to put the armor stand there!) had already encountered the FIRST squad of trolls that got passed, and you might've noticed that, but it was over too fast and troll blood blends in with microcline...  yeah, that's up there with striking the earth for fun.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

Once I have set up elaborate and horrifying traps then provoked everyone (including my [LITTER:5:10] goblins), sieges are the best :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »

My 10x10 draw bridge over the entrance.
Or my 4-storie compact windmill farm and my pump stacks under
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: [1] 2 3