Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What the- NO URIST! NOT JUST THE CAGE! THE CREATURE TOO!  (Read 1933 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
What the- NO URIST! NOT JUST THE CAGE! THE CREATURE TOO!
« on: October 09, 2010, 07:37:39 am »

I've just had a Fun event occur.

The cage traps I've placed around my fort have caught an alligator. This was hastily moved to my animal stockpile, which I'd put in a spare room a couple of levels down.

Then some traders arrived, and I thought it'd be a good idea to sell the alligator. Imagine my surprise then, when the hapless dunce assigned to that takes the cage but leaves the alligator where it is, free!  :o Needless to say, he was quickly killed.

I've actually still got the game paused, and am wondering what to do now with this menace stuck deep in my fort. My plan is to take all those worthless immigrants I've assigned to my military list and get them to swarm the thing.

Anyway: Is there a way I can stop them just taking the cage? Can I get them to take the cage WITH creature inside of it?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the- NO URIST! NOT JUST THE CAGE! THE CREATURE TOO!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:45:19 am »

As far as I am aware, no you can't :D I generally (D)ump my exotic animals under my atom smasher...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

You can put it in a fortification-walled room with a forbidden door and shoot it to death with impunity. It's like public execution, too bad DF's civilians are not fancy of such sight so dont do it at the meeting hall.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:59:15 am »

lay cage traps at the entrance/exits, then lure
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:30:15 am »

Edit: Whoops!

Update!

The Alligator was successfully wrestled to death, with four dwarves and a war dog dead. But now my question is: What about Goblins?

My map has no hills you see, so I've built a sort of stone shelter with a ramp that extends down into the fort. Surrounding this rock building is two layers of cage traps.

Because I've suffered at least SEVEN Goblin Ambushes already (and I'm not even in my third year!) I now have about thirty Goblin prisoners.

What do I do with these guys? Perhaps build a green glass tower to throw them off?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:57:41 am by Mantonio »
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:03:32 am »

Be glad its not a cave crocodile.

Cave Crocodile: 55
Dwarves: .5 [it crawled into a corner and got sealed off.]
Cage traps are my magma.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:24:46 am »

If you want to move the cage, build or dump it.

If you want to sell the alligator, then bummer.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:07:19 am »

Somehow ended up messing up my post.

Update is above.
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:38:43 am »

It's possible to disarm them, either locate their weapon in stocks and 'D' it, or d-b-d everything on the cage tile to take all his equipment. And then my usual execution method is to have them freed in the barracks while soldiers are there, it's pretty good practice for them.

I have one civilian who always volunteers for the job, and somehow always gets away without a scratch, even with an Ettin chasing him.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 01:08:25 pm »

I'd drop them in the caverns, with their weapons and armour since I like to consider myself a reasonable bloke. They can earn their freedom by making a dent in the local population of nasties for me.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

As the good people of Louisiana will tell you, them are good eatin.

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »

In my experience, you can toss tame animals and gobbos into a pit, but can't do the same with wild animals.

What I would do is rig up two or three weapon traps in a narrow hallway with a pit config done. Animal stockpile on the far side, with the pit designation (pit out to the caverns is generally fine). Urist walks up to the cage, opens the door and runs for his life back over the traps. The newly released critter follows happily and is reduced to kibble by the traps (10x serrated bronze blades each). Butcher picks up from there.

Gobbos would get dropped into the pit, which, if I've designed it with gobbos in mind, is a 2x2 or even just a 1x upright spike trap linked to a lever on repeat. Gobbo lands, gets perforated by 10x "menacing steel spikes" several times, and then I go in and clean up later. An airlock to the spike room holds either more cage traps (just in case) or weapon traps.
"Extinction is not an option."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »

I've had some mild success with dwarves pit-ing wild animals (and goblins) from cages.  The trick seems to be to build the cage adjacent to the pit.  The critter ends up in the pit almost immediately after being released.  Before the dwarf realizes what it's leading and flees and before the critter can react to being free and escape/attack.

There have been a handful of escapes despite that.  Probably the tick it is released is some global AI update tick or something of the sort so it escapes.  But at least 9 out of 10 critters end up in the pit as planned before they even know what is happening.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 05:26:59 pm »

Goblin thieves and child-snatchers can break loose from dwarven grips, in my experience. Ambush and siege units cannot.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »

Update!

This is getting ridiculous now! I have over FIFTY Goblins held! All their gear could fit an army! AND THEY KEEP COMING!
A hero of renown?
BILLY!
Pages: [1] 2