Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Microsoft Word Templates  (Read 695 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Microsoft Word Templates
« on: October 08, 2010, 06:12:13 pm »

I'm writing up a document related to an RPG I'm playing with a couple of my friends, and while I was typing in all the class information I wonder - is there a way to use templates inside the document?

Not as in, apply a template to the document, but as in have a master template - say;
Class – (discipline, influence)
[Description]
[Abilities/Skills]

That way, any changes I want to make to the way each section is formatted can simply be applied to the master template, and thus all of the sections, rather than having me click and manually chance the formatting for every single section by hand.

Just to clarify - I have used google search and looked around for information on this, but either my search terms are too vague or there isn't much precedent for this.
Pretty much everything was either on downloading new whole-document templates, or advice on how to code your own whole-doc template.

Thanks in advance.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Word Templates
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to enter the data in a spreadsheet and use mailmerge, but then it's all on separate pages.  I suppose you could stick a garbage character at the end of the template and do a global find/replace finding the garbage character + the newpage non-printable (you can copy/paste this in by highlighting from the garbage character down through the newlines) and replacing it with nothing.  This will just delete them.

Then you just copy/paste the whole thing into the appropriate section of the manual.

Or do it all up as a web page in the first place and use the PHP style sheets.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:45:49 pm by Astramancer »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Word Templates
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:39:34 am »

Word (2007, probably older versions too) has a feature called "styles". I've not used them extensively; I recall it was a bit of a bother to edit them, thought probably not as bad as manually editing each section. Look on the Home tab of the ribbon for the styles group, it's big.

Or do it all up as a web page in the first place and use the PHP style sheets.

This might be easier, but I believe (hope) Astra meant to say CSS style sheets. Depending on how fancy you want your formatting and your level of familiarity with HTML/CSS, this could be much easier or far more work than you care to invest.

If you're into technology, learning (X)HTML/CSS can be quite fun.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch