Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adamantium Spire Redux  (Read 4819 times)

Felgraf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adamantium Spire Redux
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »

After embarking in Vanilla 0.31.16 (No Dwarf Therapist, no mods, no nothing!), I notice my map is a bit odd. There's no cliffs (there should have been!), and there's a large 'black' spot on the surface, like a section of cave that needs to be explored.

So I sent my dwarf to go take a look.

And I found this:

It goes up farther, but I didn't want to wear out my shift key.

I'm utterly flabbergasted, and also rather excited. As far as I know, this only happened once before, right? Maybe a second incidence will allow us to figure out WTF is causing it?

I can start uploading the world-saves and the fortress-saves, if someone could tell me a good upload site? I'll also create a copy, abandon, and go to reclaim to try and figure out where it *is*...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantium Spire Redux
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:19:12 pm »

It's happened a (very) few times before I think...and people were perplexed to find that different folks embarking on the same spot saw different things there.

Do you have the relevant seeds?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Felgraf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »

I'm not sure if I *do*. I just told it to use a random seed: Would there be a way to 'extract' the seed/does DF anywhere tell me the last seed it used? I just made this world, and this was the very first place I embarked, so...

AHA! FOUND IT!

The seeds:
Last Seed: 3519171754
Last History Seed: 1207645776
Name Seed: 4027429749
Creature Seed: 4269989117

The setting: It's the normal "Medium Region" setting, *except* I copied it, renamed it "Medium Young", and set it to stop advancing history at 250. That's it.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:29:18 pm by Felgraf »

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

Yes, go into legends mode and export map/gen info, then check your DF directory and there should be a file there that contains the parameters.

I would like to see the seed too, to add to my library. It's quite exciting since you can apparently actually dig and chop trees (Or you have not alluded to being unable to)

Felgraf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:30:19 pm »

Last Seed: 3519171754
Last History Seed: 1207645776
Name Seed: 4027429749
Creature Seed: 4269989117

I'll export in just a second! And.. I actually haven't tried digging or chopping yet, I just wanted to immediately export this. Let me test that now.

Yep! I can dig! And chop! Tihngs are moving at almost glacial speed, (but I'm also just on a laptop).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:37:17 pm by Felgraf »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:44:24 pm »

There was at least a second one in the original topic.

Then there was this one, which also had magmafalls.

Add stuff like this into account and I think something terribly wrong awesome happened to the terrain generator between 40d and DF2010.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Felgraf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

Okay, here's the world gen info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's where I put it:

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 07:05:37 pm »

It might be also helpfull if you upload the specs of your system (cpu type and manufacturer, OS version etc. ) because it may be a hardware problem and not a software sided one - could be something akin to the "Pentium FDIV Bug" where the Floatingpoint units did misbehave but this is rather farfetched.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:17:08 pm »

I generated your world and embarked there, no spire, just a snowy flat embark. I suspect this is something to do with borderline unstable computer configurations. Similar to graphical corruption in other games, this time something went wrong somewhere during world gen. I bet you could generate the world again and it would be gone.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:20:05 pm by NKDietrich »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »

Did you do anything else before worldgen OR before embarking?  Like, did you play another fortress, or view Legends, or etc?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 08:37:50 pm »

Corrupted save, maybe?

That can make world data go fruit loopy sometimes.

Felgraf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »

I'm currently using a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i. I had a few other things running, like firefox...  strange. I don't think my laptop is quite *that* unstable...

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 10:59:29 pm »

I can start uploading the world-saves and the fortress-saves, if someone could tell me a good upload site? I'll also create a copy, abandon, and go to reclaim to try and figure out where it *is*...

Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »

I don't think my laptop is quite *that* unstable...
Laptops are unstable processing units by definition.
~95% of them overheat nigh-constantly.

DF sucks up virtually all available CPU power on one core.  If you have multiple, yeah, that's fine, it'll take one of the back ones and leave the others for other stuff.  But if you only have one core, everything using any amount of CPU time is going to detract from performance/stability, and on a laptop, there's really not much to "spare".
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 11:39:44 pm »

I'm utterly flabbergasted, and also rather excited. As far as I know, this only happened once before, right? Maybe a second incidence will allow us to figure out WTF is causing it?

Man, no offence, but you can't beat this:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67846.0
Pages: [1] 2