Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22474 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: PeTA
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2010, 03:17:46 pm »

Fair enough reason I suppose and a good one. Though I was argueing from a merely ethical standpoint, eating anything except your own species is acceptible unless absolutely nessicary, your reason against it is completely logical. I'll back out of the argument for now, lest one of us gets angry and begins flameing or something.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »

No cannibalism. Sapient species have rights over that of non-sapient species. We shouldn't torture them or anything, but the truth is that we need food, and they are a food source to us.
Sounds like some arbitrary rules pulled out of one's arse.
If you have somthing better, go ahead.
It's funny because, "We shouldn't eat them because they're sapient" is as arbitrary as, "We shouldn't eat them because they're sentient" is as arbitrary as "We shouldn't eat them because they're alive" is as arbitrary as "We shouldn't eat them because they're made of matter" is as arbitrary as "We shouldn't eat them because they exist."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2010, 04:38:45 pm »

Cannibalism being a no-no is probably a byproduct of biological influence. When you eat something the same species as you, you are so so so much more likely to pick up any diseases inside of your meal. Cannibalism is a very risky practice, which probably lead to it being discouraged long long ago in human history.

That's why we eat other animals, because they are different enough that we are far less likely to pick up any diseases they may be carrying upon consumption.

I'm all for eating animals, personally. I just think animal cruelty is pretty fucked, as well as killing for fur. I guess I'm a moderate animal rights activist, being semi-vegan and all.
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »

Not as arbitrary.

And is there anything that exists that is not matter?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2010, 04:44:11 pm »

How can you be semi-vegan? That's like being semi-alive, or something.

And I generally don't take Greenpeace, PETA, Sea Shepherd etc. seriously. They're rather silly if you ask me.

EDIT:
Not as arbitrary.

Antimatter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:46:23 pm by lordnincompoop »

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2010, 04:47:16 pm »

It means, I will try to eat vegan as much as possible, but if it's an inconvenience for someone I'm with, I can eat vegetarian or even meat if I really have to.
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »

EDIT:
Not as arbitrary.

Antimatter.
Energy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »

Yes, those things. Incidentally, I'm not saying arbitrary is necessarily bad here, I'm saying I don't think it's possible to make a judgment of this kind for non-arbitrary reasons. There are also tons of non-arbitrary reasons (disease, etc) for not eating SPECIFIC other creatures, but there's no sapience-related reason that isn't arbitrary.

EDIT: To the post below, I was mostly thinking of energy anyway. Photons and suchlike.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:57:21 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2010, 04:56:18 pm »

Antimatter is matter as well, confusingly.  E=mc2 and all that.  /nitpick

edit: Energy is matter.  The two are different sides of the same coin.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:01:12 pm by BigJake »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2010, 04:58:15 pm »

There are also tons of non-arbitrary reasons (disease, etc) for not eating SPECIFIC other creatures, but there's no sapience-related reason that isn't arbitrary.
Well... They could try to eat you back.
That would count as non-arbitrary, in some circles.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »

Yes there is.  It's dreadfully impolite, and a sapient creature might get offended if you eat one of their kind.  Wouldn't want to be rude, would we?

EDIT:
Not as arbitrary.

Antimatter.
Energy.

E=MC2.  So, by that token, energy exists but is also matter.  Sort of.

And I thought it was fairly tricky to decide if antimatter really "exists" or not...  But that's mainly a semantics issue, I'd assume.

EDIT:  Goddamn it...  Just got beaten by two people on two fronts.  Well, bugger all.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:59 pm »

Antimatter is a type of matter, so it does not count.
Maybe.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »

There are also tons of non-arbitrary reasons (disease, etc) for not eating SPECIFIC other creatures, but there's no sapience-related reason that isn't arbitrary.
Well... They could try to eat you back.
That would count as non-arbitrary, in some circles.
Yes, and "They will eat us in turn" has nothing to do with their sapience. There is also the possibility of a sapient race that wouldn't object that strenuously, or might be violently allergic to humans and/or incapable of inflicting harm on us. My point is that's a reason that ISN'T inherent to being sapient.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2010, 05:24:54 pm »

I am almost certain light does not exist.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2010, 05:26:22 pm »

My point is that's a reason that ISN'T inherent to being sapient.
Not an actual physical reason, no, but no matter what argument you make, people will still say it is "wrong".
Differences of morality, and such.

NINJA: If Light did not exist, then all those criminals would still be alive.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16