Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22505 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: PeTA
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2010, 02:57:18 pm »

What I meant was that we should treat species like the species they are instead of like humans (which is what PETA advocates), and this will help resolve our issues with them. Like in the example about dogs I gave. As for canibalism, very few species practice it, although with humans it has been both present and not between different societies. Suprisingly enough, using your own population as a food source doesn't tend to assist survival.
*nods* And I agree completely. The question is, how are those species to be treated when they clearly object to being killed, the same way humans do.

You can make a solid argument for cannibalism vs survival. We have a large population over reproductive age, many of whom are retired. We could potentially tap that to feed more people that are younger. Assuming we can overcome the loss of skill that would result (big assumption, I know), and lacking pressures such as prions, wouldn't it make sense to butcher and eat everyone over 50? It's just a question of logic - no one would seriously advocate it - but when you're talking about survival and bias towards intelligence I think it's interesting.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2010, 02:58:41 pm »

Eat the homeless and people so insane they can never be cured?....Nah, even with overpopulation Cannibalism is just......no,just no.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2010, 03:01:23 pm »

Cats taste bad.
But dwarves eat them all the time...

And mostly what I know of PeTA is the south park episode I watched. XD

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »

You can make a solid argument for cannibalism vs survival. We have a large population over reproductive age, many of whom are retired. We could potentially tap that to feed more people that are younger. Assuming we can overcome the loss of skill that would result (big assumption, I know), and lacking pressures such as prions, wouldn't it make sense to butcher and eat everyone over 50? It's just a question of logic - no one would seriously advocate it - but when you're talking about survival and bias towards intelligence I think it's interesting.
In other news: Soilent Green is people, and Logan is running.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

No cannibalism. Sapient species have rights over that of non-sapient species. We shouldn't torture them or anything, but the truth is that we need food, and they are a food source to us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 03:04:37 pm »

Who cares if it's Sapient? If it tastes good, is good for us, and isn't your own species, why shouldn't you eat it if given the chance? Of course raiseing Sapient species specificly as cattle, or hunting them down specificly as such, is another thing alltogether.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »

No cannibalism. Sapient species have rights over that of non-sapient species. We shouldn't torture them or anything, but the truth is that we need food, and they are a food source to us.
Sounds like some arbitrary rules pulled out of one's arse.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:55 pm »

I find cannibalism to be morally acceptable only if the person was not killed for the specific purpose of being food.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »

Who cares if it's Sapient? If it tastes good, is good for us, and isn't your own species, why shouldn't you eat it if given the chance? Of course raiseing Sapient species specificly as cattle, or hunting them down specificly as such, is another thing alltogether.
I'm not certain of a situation where that would come up. The only one is death by accident or old age, but chances are another sapient species would attach some value to their remains like most of us do ours. So, no.

Sounds like some arbitrary rules pulled out of one's arse.
If you have somthing better, go ahead.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2010, 03:08:17 pm »

People taste bad and are bad for you.

Mad cow anyone?
I bite my dog when he looks at me funny. Keeps him in line.
I'm not sure if your jokeing or not to be honest. Though to be honest I've thought about biteing my dog's ear so he learns to stop biteing my anckles, and pants, and sides if he jumps up >.>.

Not joking, he is a dog. He thinks I am a dog. I need to act like a dog for him to understand some times.

Or rather, he does not comprehend that others think in different ways them him, he most likely knows I am not a dog.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2010, 03:09:44 pm »

Well assumeing, assumeing, we do run into another 'fully' sapient species, on the level of humans atleast. What would be to stop us from going to war with them like we do with ourselves? Eat the war corpses.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2010, 03:10:54 pm »

...because commiting atrocites on another species won't do wonders for stopping any sort of war?
No Gods, No Masters.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »

I'm not argueing about war, I'm argueing about a hypothetical situation where the dead bodies of another sapient species would be availible, war was just the first thing that popped into my head, I'm saying if the bodies where availible and not humans, why not eat them?
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:54 pm »

I don't know, what are the chances we can eat some species that evolved so different from us?

Although because of practical reasons we did not eat humans.

Now it is more tradition and less practicality. So we would most likely not eat the aliens because of tradition. Unless we saw them as less then human somehow.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »

Kaguro, I really don't want to be the one to Godwin this thread, but you aren't giving me many options for an example here. The reason to not is because we'll be seen as sapient-devouring psychopaths and the other species will try to wipe us out.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16