Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22525 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeTA
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 08:59:56 am »

There are the crazy and the not so crazy.

I've been in the controversial animal growing business.  'We' are afraid of PeTa people coming in and messing things up, making it look as bad as possible, just so they can use it as fodder against 'us'.

Otherwise, got no problems.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 10:01:53 am »

I don't get their stance on pets at all.  Most pets have been bred to live better in households (compare a dog (domestic) to a grey wolf (original version in the wild) or a cat (domestic) to a desert lynx (original version in the wild)).  They wouldn't really be able to survive in the wild, and... well, I don't see why they'd particularly suffer in a caring home.  Dogs seem happy to live with their owners, and apparently think of themselves as part of their owner's "pack".  Cats generally aren't constrained very much... they often come and go as they please, take food and get to be stroked when they like (hey, who hasn't wanted to be a cat every now and again?).  I mean, I suppose it would be bad if you had an ideological belief in freedom, but pets just don't seem to have this concept.
I agree with what your saying, but I'd like to add something. Many living circumstances of today's society simply isn't fit for having animals in. Many people also aren't knowledgeable enough about their pets to treat them right, hence why we have people, for example, leaving dogs to die in their cars on hot days, or people who persist in keeping their horses alone, even though horses are so "sociably dependant", pack animals as they are, that they'll bond with rocks if they have to.
And don't get me started on the cages we keep our birds and rodents in. That's just a fucking disgrace, keeping something genetically bound to move over and/or survey large areas confined like that.

To summarize; I am not content with the minimum standards society has set for pet-keeping, both with the responsibility expected from the keepers, and the environments for keeping them in. The bar could, and in my opinion should, be set higher.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:07 am »

They aren't sentient

Yes they are.

If they were not I would have little issue with abuse of them because it would not be abuse.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2010, 11:10:40 am »

PETA ranks as high as Scientology and Tea Party in my big book of loonies.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 11:18:38 am »

I have read some stuff on their website.

I am disturbed by the lack of citations.

They have some 'citations' but almost all of them just link to other articles on the peta website.

You can not be your own source.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

They aren't sentient

Yes they are.

If they were not I would have little issue with abuse of them because it would not be abuse.

Most people think of sentient as being self-aware, even though it's just the ability to perceive and feel (which pretty much all vertebrates can do; insects debatably, if I recall). So there was probably some semantic confusion going on here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:54 am »

A lot of animals are sentient. We only know of one living species that is sapient.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 11:57:17 am »

Sapience is sorta fuzzy. Humans are sapient. Things like bugs are not. But where is the line? Can there be more then one level of sapience? If so I would say higher mammals are low sapient. If not then I suppose I would have to say only humans are.

But I have a hard time not thinking that some higher monkeys and stuff are low sapient.

So there was probably some semantic confusion going on here.

Oh. That makes sense.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 12:00:00 pm »

I have one big problem that makes it impossible for me to take PeTA seriously.

Sea Kittens.

That is all.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 12:08:53 pm »

Well, there is that mirror-test that several other species has passed. Oh, and the fact that we human are not especially sapient either, if one defines it as "aware of and able to overcome one's own nature/instincts.

What are those Sea Kittens, really? Do I wish to know?
Love, scriver~

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »

"Fish are ugly and fish is a ugly name.

Lets call them Sea Kittens so people think they are adorable."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:06 pm »

Damn, I'm craving some kitten sticks now. Now where did those two kittens of mine go?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:14 pm »

Damn, I'm craving some kitten sticks now. Now where did those two kittens of mine go?
:D
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »

Cats taste bad.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16