Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22541 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: PeTA
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »

The only ethical way to kill Criptfeind is through a massive tribal frenzy around him, ending in hewing the entire neck through with a machete.

The horror. The horror.

You'd have to be there an awfully long time to hack off a person's with a machete...  Depends on the guy, of course, but Criptfeind is beefy (...).

If you've seen the scene, they actually make it most of the way and kill (not fake-movie-kill but literally kill) Criptfeind on-screen dead in a single blow. It strikes me as pretty efficient, if you like your human seasoned with deep philosophical questions about human nature. I prefer medium rare myself
Fixed? :O  Double fixed!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:51:01 pm by Euld »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 08:50:04 pm »

The problem I have with them is the way they kill hundreds of animals at their shelters.  I mean, apparently the animals are suffering too much, but similar shelters in the same areas get a lot more animals adopted, while PETA ends up putting down the vast majority of the pets given to them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 08:50:21 pm »

The only ethical way to kill a Criptfeind is through a massive tribal frenzy around a Criptfeind ending in hewing the entire neck through with a machete.

The horror. The horror.

You'd have to be there an awfully long time to hack off a Criptfeind's head with a machete...  Depends on the Criptfeind, of course, but those monsters are beefy (...).

If you've seen the scene, they actually make it most of the way and kill (not fake-movie-kill but literally kill) Criptfeind on-screen dead in a single blow. It strikes me as pretty efficient, if you like your human seasoned with deep philosophical questions about human nature. I prefer medium rotted myself
Fixed? :O

There.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 09:13:05 pm »

Well, at least nobody's fighting...

The problem I have with them is the way they kill hundreds of animals at their shelters.  I mean, apparently the animals are suffering too much, but similar shelters in the same areas get a lot more animals adopted, while PETA ends up putting down the vast majority of the pets given to them.

Apparently, PeTA has one of the lowest adoption rates of any of the shelters.  As they regard keeping an animal as a pet to be tantamount to slavery, they would rather put them out of their misery than subject them to the torture of being put in a home under the yoke of humans.

Okay, granted.  It's a looney idea, but at least it's consistent.  Except for the 17% or so that they actually do put up for re-adoption.

I really just have no idea what to think of these people.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 03:01:50 am »

I agree with you on peta, bu you choose the very worst organization.
Greenpeace or sea shepherd, while extremist at time (and depending on the individual you face), are much less silly.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 03:39:10 am »

Except for the 17% or so that they actually do put up for re-adoption.
It's around 1%.

On an amusing note, I once saw someone demonstrate (with math and samples and whatever) that the vegan food production process (from seed to plate) kills many many more animals (around ten times) as lamb production process (per meal).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 04:38:41 am »

And energy conversion is by far less efficient for growing grain to feed the lamb than it is to just eat the grain.  We use up a huge amount of our food in order to feed our food.

All the same,  I'd very much like to see how that conclusion is reached.  I remember seeing a very entertaining group on Facebook called "We who stand for real fur and meat", and went on to explain how synthetic fibers and imitation meat were destroying the environment, and how we should all do our part to further the natural method.

That just happens to be the kind of humor that I find attractive.

Also, what?  Greenpeace is an eco-terrorist group.  They're easily as nutty as the PeTA members.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 05:06:20 am »

Greenpeace are not terrorists. To call them that is.. just stupid. There's nothing crazy about them either, unless you judge all who's opinion differs from yours mentally disturbed.
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 05:08:24 am »

I think some of their acts fall under the definition.

But that's just hearsay, really.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 05:13:46 am »

They're activists, not terrorists. While they do try to interfere with stuff they don't approve of/make it harder doing such business, they do not attempt to scare anyone to give in to their demands.
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 05:16:43 am »

PETA counts, though. Via proxy, but still.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 05:19:46 am »

Yea, PETA might count, but I couldn't say either way. We don't really hear much about them here up northways, so all I know about them is learnt from South Park.

edit: watched the link. I thought it was gonna be one of those "exposing" things about how animals are treated, hence why I wrote above stuff first.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:22:09 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 05:27:14 am »

The're a few tools short of a toolbox, if you understand me. Think animals and 'just like people' and should be treated as such is rediculas, as is the idea that pets are slaves. I will admit some people make their pets do rediculas things *looks at dog show people* but it's not slavery then, and its definately not slavery normaly. Animals are Animals, they do deserve protection, and their own rights, like makeing sure people can't throw them out a window withour reprocussion, or people like that one prick from france are punished. But still, they don't deserve, or need, human rights. They aren't sentiant and wouldn't understand half the 'rights' they would be given anyway, and would have no use for them. I love my dog, I love my cat who lives outside. I hug them, I pet them, and I even talk right to them sometimes(with the dog it's mostly 'stop eating my pants leg!') but they aren't human.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 06:54:31 am »

And energy conversion is by far less efficient for growing grain to feed the lamb than it is to just eat the grain.  We use up a huge amount of our food in order to feed our food.
This is true, if you're using the intensive cattle ranching model of "Stuff cows full of food that could feed humans".

On the other hand, cows and sheep can turn grass (something we can't eat) into meat and milk (stuff we can eat).  Pigs can turn food waste (which would otherwise be thrown away) into meat.  So, basically, it shouldn't be a campaign against all meat, just specific types of intensively farmed meat.

I don't get their stance on pets at all.  Most pets have been bred to live better in households (compare a dog (domestic) to a grey wolf (original version in the wild) or a cat (domestic) to a desert lynx (original version in the wild)).  They wouldn't really be able to survive in the wild, and... well, I don't see why they'd particularly suffer in a caring home.  Dogs seem happy to live with their owners, and apparently think of themselves as part of their owner's "pack".  Cats generally aren't constrained very much... they often come and go as they please, take food and get to be stroked when they like (hey, who hasn't wanted to be a cat every now and again?).  I mean, I suppose it would be bad if you had an ideological belief in freedom, but pets just don't seem to have this concept.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 07:09:08 am »

I too got a dog when I was a small child.  We would go on adventures and shit.  Like running down the street together to escape from my mom while she tried to catch up to us while carrying my infant sister.  Good times. :)

We have tons of pets in our household but I don't think of them as people.  They're beloved members of the family.  They're even a bit like babies in some ways.  But part of the reason I like animals so much is because they aren't like people.

I guess I don't know all that much about PeTA.  I haven't really sought out much about them since everything I have heard and seen without trying has been either silly (Sea Kittens!) or disturbing, (Hello little girl, here's a picture of a dead dog.) or both (that thanksgiving video).  The idea that they think animals should have the same rights as humans is news to me.  It certainly goes against several other things they claim to believe.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16