Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22506 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: PeTA
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 06:49:26 pm »

Argh, why are you guys not capitalizing the E?  Ethical is a full word, it deserves capitalization.
Shoes...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 06:51:52 pm »

I do agree with PETA on a very basic level. I am a person, and I am for the ethical treatment of animals. It's the specifics where things break down. I am also a person for the ethical treatment of people, for example.

Where I define "ethical" is where things are different. Is it OK to take a dog, kick it in the face, break it's legs, and throw it against a tree? No. It's not. In fact, I think that should be a crime. Is it OK kill and consume a cow? Absolutely, as long as the means of killing it aren't insanely violent. The typical means via a simple puncture to the base of the brain with a pneumatic spike is fine.
!!&!!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 06:58:01 pm »

A bolt seems gruesome to me. No any worse mind you but gruesome.

I 'like' the put them to sleep and drain the blood method.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 07:06:24 pm »

I'd also like to add something else.  If you had something in mind to post after just seeing the thread title, please don't post it.  If you saw a message forming in your mind, whatever that message may have been, before even clicking on the link and waiting for the thread to open, I implore you to discard it immediately.  One of the absolute worst contributors to a raging argument is impulsivity.  Regardless of how calm or level-headed you may feel or you may think your message is, please think it through carefully before posting.  Impulsive posts can cause equal or even greater damage than aggressive posts that were carefully thought out, and are an almost certain recipe for disaster.
It's funny because everything you said popped into my head when I saw PETA as the thread title.

I don't mind their ideology much. It's not a difficult concept for me that animals can suffer and that intelligence is not necessarily of primary concern for determining what rights something has. They're just fucking terrible at actually getting their points across with any intelligence or good poise.

That said, I am a cuteitarian. I will eat anything that is not cute or potentially friends 4eva. It's just as biased as not eating intelligent things.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »

The only ethical way to kill an animal is through a massive tribal frenzy around a bull ending in hewing the entire neck through with a machete.

The horror. The horror.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

Man Nikov, there are more ways then that.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 07:17:39 pm »

I heard once, I forget where, that there was some person who wrote to PETA about some lizards in a pet shop being maltreated. PETA decided not to get involved because the lizards weren't cute enough.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »

Hypocrites!

They must have been too far away to help. poor things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »

Lizards are awesome though! As are snakes, and most reptiles.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »

Argh, why are you guys not capitalizing the E?  Ethical is a full word, it deserves capitalization.

Bugger if I know, but that's how they do it.

Yeah, they should be respected, cared for and cruelty towards them should be punished, but why should they have the rights we have? They are a rich source of materials and should be used as such, provided we don't overuse them.

There's that, but it's also incredibly important to realize that they're just different.  Many of the animals PeTA is 'defending' have absolutely no use for human rights, as that's just not how they live.  Animal rights for animals, human rights for humans.  It just doesn't make sense any other way.

There are animals that don't even have the brainpower to comprehend pain, but PeTA insists they are tormented and suffering.  The modern chicken is a particularly strange example of this misinformed protection as they are frequently fawned over and championed by nutjobs, but their brains are so small and underdeveloped that you can stun them by just holding them and looking them in the eyes.

My father used to do this on his grandparents' farm.  He'd sneak into the coop, hypnotize all the chickens, and then lay them out on the ground to freak out his grandmother.  These are not intelligent creatures we're talking about, and certainly not creatures that have any concept of slavery or voting rights.

And although it is an incredibly widespread practice, treating dogs like people not only doesn't make any sense but is actually detrimental to the dog's psyche.  You treat a dog like a dog, because that's what they are.  They're dogs.  You treat it like a human, and it's going to have some very deep-seated emotional issues.

I heard once, I forget where, that there was some person who wrote to PETA about some lizards in a pet shop being maltreated. PETA decided not to get involved because the lizards weren't cute enough.

Much as I dislike hearsay, that really wouldn't surprise me.  They're just mediafreaks.

Also delusional, because as Criptfeind has demonstrated, reptiles and amphibians are just as capable of being cute as the rest of 'em.

The only ethical way to kill an animal is through a massive tribal frenzy around a bull ending in hewing the entire neck through with a machete.

The horror. The horror.

You'd have to be there an awfully long time to hack off a bull's head with a machete...  Depends on the bull, of course, but those monsters are beefy (...).

mama kills animals

Those gits absolutely made the vegetarian levels easier.  Also, did you see the look on that turkey's eyes at the end as she was hugging it?  Poor thing was horrified.

And with good reason.  Anyone with a personality that bounces between polar opposites like that can't be safe to hang out around.

Still, none of this helps me find out anything about the staged video claims.  I am intrigued by Tumorbunny though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »

The horror. The horror.

You'd have to be there an awfully long time to hack off a bull's head with a machete...  Depends on the bull, of course, but those monsters are beefy (...).

If you've seen the scene, they actually make it most of the way and kill (not fake-movie-kill but literally kill) the bull on-screen dead in a single blow. It strikes me as pretty efficient, if you like your steak seasoned with deep philosophical questions about human nature. I prefer medium rare myself

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:14 pm »

Sorry Jack, alllllllllmost quote worthy. But not quite.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:27 pm »

Of course not. It doesn't have your name in it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:58 pm »

Good point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16