Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22487 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: PeTA
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2010, 08:16:16 pm »

Wait which space pope are we talking about? The one who dumped us into volcanoes off 747s or the other one?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »

One of the reasons I've been convinced that the expressed Monty Hall problem is incorrect is because almost all of the supposed proofs I've seen for its validity are either confusing, logically unsound or just downright wrong.

However, this;
When the other doors are eliminated it has a 99/100 chance to bring it down to your door and the right one or a 1/100 chance to bring it down to the right one (yours) and a random one.
this makes sense to me.  This I can understand, and I can see the logic in it.  This is the only way the problem needs to be explained.

I'm still uncertain, however.  Just because I can see some logic in that explanation does not mean I agree with the problem itself, either in its proposed solution or the manner in which it is presented.  I've started reading a 62-page paper on the subject written by a PhD in Mathematics.  I want to hear his explanation of why switching is the correct course of action, and how he illustrates the problem.

Also, I would like to point out that on a fundamental level I believe at least 80% of the world's population to be wrong in some way.  Majority opinion has never equaled truth in my mind, so that is why I pay very little heed to many people telling me something if I disagree with it.  I need quality of arguments, not quantity.

That said, I think this thread has effectively run its course.  I didn't get anything of what I originally set out for (verifiable sources in regards to PeTA allegedly fabricating animal torture videos), but I do feel content in the knowledge that I'm not the only person who thinks they're complete wackjobs who do more harm than good to the process of improving the treatment of animals (I happen to agree that a very large number of people with pets have no idea as to how to properly interact with said pets).

We've got a number of different tangents here, regarding animal rights, statistics, theoretical physics, the concept of being on a tangent, and space pope.  None of them are particularly structured at the moment, and the thread's title isn't exactly helping matters.

What say we put the old girl down then, eh?  She's had a good run of it now, but everything comes to an end sometime.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »

...but everything comes to an end sometime.

The office of Space Pope is eternal.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2010, 08:34:29 pm »

People for the eating of Tasty Animals? I endorse them heartily.

The group itself is like any other extremist group. Except they kill defenseless animals. I hate them deeply for that.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2010, 08:37:14 pm »

...but everything comes to an end sometime.

The office of Space Pope is eternal.
Only when said space pope has a finite life span. Otherwise, it's equal to the inverse of the shelf life of three and a quarter raspberries on Alternia, give or take a few solar sweeps.
That being said, just change the thread title to lolwat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »

lolwat.

Aaand that is why I'm locking it.  Thank you all for coming, it's been a great night.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]