Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 22479 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
PeTA
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »

Now, I'd very much like to believe that everyone can keep a civil tone in a serious discussion, even though I am absolutely certain that this will turn into a debate of some sort.  However, I'm not quite that naïve, so I'm going to ask again that everyone please try to remain calm while talking in here and also state that I will personally lock the thread and let it at the very least cool off for a day before opening it back up again if anybody gets out of hand.

I'd also like to add something else.  If you had something in mind to post after just seeing the thread title, please don't post it.  If you saw a message forming in your mind, whatever that message may have been, before even clicking on the link and waiting for the thread to open, I implore you to discard it immediately.  One of the absolute worst contributors to a raging argument is impulsivity.  Regardless of how calm or level-headed you may feel or you may think your message is, please think it through carefully before posting.  Impulsive posts can cause equal or even greater damage than aggressive posts that were carefully thought out, and are an almost certain recipe for disaster.

With that stated, I'll get on with the real business.

I'd like to state my position.  I was raised alongside the family dog, my parents having acquired a German Shepherd puppy roughly a year before they "acquired" me.  The dog quickly took up the role as a third guardian, seeking to keep me safe and cared for at all times, such as watching over me when I was an infant and getting my mother from the garden just as I was waking up (a behavior he picked up by himself).  I developed an incredibly strong bond with this dog, and I have ever since had a certain connection and affinity with most animals, although I am of course most at home around dogs.

I was raised a pescetarian, avoiding land-based meats primarily because of health reasons regarding commercial farming in the meat industry.  I also spent most of my life lactose intolerant like my mother, so I was brought up accustomed to cow's milk alternatives like soy, rice, and almond products (although there was very little that could keep any of us away from goat or sheep cheeses, which even now after having grown out of my intolerance I still regard as utterly superior to cow cheese).

By all accounts, I should be a strong and proud supporter of groups like PeTA and Greenpeace.  But even though I strongly believe in proper care of animals (I hesitate to use the word "humane"), I am absolutely opposed to most of the animal rights groups I am aware of.

I consider PeTA to be a very bad joke, one that an unfortunately small number of people seem to have gotten.  Every demonstration or release I've seen related to them has given me the impression that they are insane, delusional, and far more dangerous than people give them credit for.

Through connections on Facebook, I have learned quite a bit more about some of the people I know than I previously thought.  For instance, I now know that a number of them are staunch supporters of PeTA.  Some I regard as lost causes, utterly swayed by the 'animals are people too' doctrine spread by misguided animal rights organizations like PeTA.  But a few I know to be otherwise intelligent individuals who simply aren't aware of PeTA's insanity, and support them out of a misinformed hope that they're actually helping to fix a real problem.

I've seen the outstanding reports of PeTA's unclaimed animal euthanasia, but I remember hearing a long time ago some comments about the many shock videos that they release, claiming that some were faked by PeTA itself.

Considering their other acts, I would not be entirely surprised to find that PeTA had in fact filmed the brutal torture of a few animals "for the good of the cause".  But however likely or unlikely it may be, I refuse to believe in it until I can see some sort of verification for those claims.

Attempting to find any information on the subject is proving difficult, however.  Maybe I'm just searching in the wrong places with the wrong tools, but in searching Google all the terms I used resulted in hits coming either from PeTA itself, or from the opposite bias of sites funded by meat and fur companies.  Either nobody ever reads professional news sources and so just push the hits way down through the pages and out of sight, or PeTA isn't regarded as particularly newsworthy and as such isn't extensively covered by the (somewhat) independent media.

I think a large problem is just how nobody really pays attention to PeTA.  Some new flip comes out and everybody laughs at the silly vegans, and then they go back to whatever it was they were doing beforehand.  Nobody seems to consider the truly insane levels of support this organization receives, both in funds and in people, and what they can and are doing with those resources.

As it stands, I don't think PeTA is helping anybody.  Through their antics and frankly absurd views, they make a mockery of the organizations that actually are trying to do something about animal treatment.  And through sheer force of power and people, they impede important research efforts and the people who use animals but don't treat them poorly.  The only group that PeTA doesn't hurt in some way is PeTA.

Maybe I've just been reading all the wrong sources.  Maybe all the things I've heard about PeTA are fabrications themselves.  But everything I've read in support of PeTA has been on a level of such freakish and absurd idiocy that I have a very hard time believing that they are actually a respectable organization.

Regardless of how respectable they may be, if there is any substantial proof to these claims of PeTA abusing animals to enforce their message, I would very much like to see it.  I feel that it would be an incredibly powerful call to reason, and would help me try to fight the madness surrounding the radical views and supporters of PeTA.

I apologize for any offense taken from this post.  I did not intend for it to be inflammatory, and I see no sense in inciting anger or hurt in anyone.  I just feel very strongly about this issue, and I don't know how better to express myself.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: PeTA
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:04:25 pm »

I'd add something, but I've never had a non-bad experience with this...group so far.

Very well thought out, though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:08:39 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »

I really have nothing add to the possible discussion here as I don't know much about PeTA. But I must say this was very well written and thought out, and extremely polite. Bravo, I do hope this does not fall into a flame war.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »

Personally Im against peta

I think that we have as much right to kill an animal as any other animal does

Yes i do think we shouldnt over hunt or or hurt animals for no reason but as long as we are not driving species extinct I think its fine for us to eat them
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:17:36 pm »

The only right animals need is the right to be delicious.

Or adorable.

I have no idea what happened to the code there but I just fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:22:35 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:28 pm »

Bravo good sir! Have a glass of scotch and a pipe!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:01 pm »

As far as I know, the farthest they've gone is fraudulently presenting the context of their videos. Something about claiming a monkey being splashed with water was being covered in acid or something. They do, however, support the euthanasia of domestic animals as "preferable to slavery", in addition to funding terrorist organizations and generally being obnoxious.

They are, however, mostly irrelevant, as mainstream society just ignores or laughs at their unhinged antics.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 05:29:48 pm »

I agree with you on many points, but see; there's one word you misuse: "idiocy". The PeTA aren't idiots, they are using a scheme that certainly works. It's their ideas and their support that reeks of idiocy, or should I be more thoughtful; unenlightenment. They don't care about the animals, they're just in for the money.

Yes, I may lack proof for my claims, but come on, it's obvious.

When it comes to my opinion on animals, I think that as long as someone cares about them, they should be kept alive. Hunting should only be done to keep them from overpopulating.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:40 pm »

tl;dr - reasonable but hippie-tastic person finds actions of an animal rights extremist lobby group distasteful, strange

in other news, sky is blue, grass green, and your mama kills animals
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »

I support peta.

People eating tasty animals is a great group.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:58:07 pm »

I support Pete to! Pete is a great guy!
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »

I never approved of PeTA's actions or mentality. It strikes me as very self-destructive.

Also they're batshit insane. So there's that.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 06:16:07 pm »

Some I regard as lost causes, utterly swayed by the 'animals are people too' doctrine spread by misguided animal rights organizations like PeTA.
This right here is why I consider organizations like PETA to be a special kind of crazy. Animals deserve to be treated with respect and care, but they're not people.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:28:16 pm by Fossaman »
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »

Yeah, they should be respected, cared for and cruelty towards them should be punished, but why should they have the rights we have? They are a rich source of materials and should be used as such, provided we don't overuse them.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 06:40:59 pm »

Yeah, they should be respected, cared for and cruelty towards them should be punished, but why should they have the rights we have? They are a rich source of materials and should be used as such, provided we don't overuse them.

This is the difference between animal welfare and animal rights. Welfare is making sure that an animal exists in whatever conditions are most comfortable, safe, and hygienic for whatever purposes the animal exists for - raising them for food, for companionship, whatever. Animal rights is basically nutjobs saying ANIMALS ARE PEOPLE TOO AND CAGE HENS ARE THE NEW HOLOCAUST VICTIMS and the like.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16