Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Largest farm youv ever constructed and what you planted  (Read 1461 times)

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
Largest farm youv ever constructed and what you planted
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »

Tell about the largest farm you have made and what you planted.
(titles pretty self explanatory actually)  ;D
Add pictures if youd like and explain how you managed
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Largest farm youv ever constructed and what you planted
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:57:24 pm »

I had a fort dedicated to the production of pig tail clothing back in 40d. Out of a fort of about 150 dwarves, about twenty were planters, six brewers, four cooks (for cooking the alcohol), about twenty threshers, fifteen weavers, ten clothiers, and the other half of the fort were haulers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:59:07 pm »

I can say I've never done this, I usually do the bare minimum for food production and then just focus on other things.  Like megaprojects.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:03:45 pm »

damn, nicee.
just started a new fort, iv got like 3 plots hahahaha pretty big ones at that.
And im just pumping out plump helmets and pigtails and brewing like a mofo. gonna go for a massive farming industry tho, thats all iv got right now, no stone or anything cause i picked a heavily forested aquifer type area. sold my anvil...... dont know why i even brought one....... problemm?
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 04:04:54 pm »

I once dug into the SMR, searching for diggable pockets into the SMR.
Then I assigned a couple per "island", each with his own farm, dining room, beds, etc.

Then sealed them up.

I left it running but got bored, as they didn't make booze automatically.

Ah, and plump helmets.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 04:17:53 pm »

I don't remember how big the farms were in my first few 40d fortresses (one died to an invasion after my champion wrestlers got ripped to shreds by snakemen in the underground river, and in the second one I deliberately flooded the fort with magma when it was clear I was screwed), but all of my successful forts have used eight 5x5 farm plots - 4 above ground, 4 subterranean (with the sole exception of the cast obsidian tower Rhymestakes, where they were 7x7 instead of 5x5), farming all of the available crops except hide roots (since they suck).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »

The largest has been three max-sized plots, with 1 dedicated farmer per plot plus part-timers who also make potash and wrangle animals. Though they got better every year, I've never once seen them use all three, or even one fully. They just about maintain the booze supply between trade caravans.

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »

I made a 10x10 before I realized how much that would output, just because I had sufficient muddy ground.  S'okay, though; everyone died of thirst when the water froze and I ran out of barrels.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »

ten 10x10 farm plots. all for rope reeds. Man, fertilizing all of those is so much pain for the trees. >:(

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:25 pm »

My first fort had my largest farm, back in 40d. It was the biggest you could make it, with lines of single tile plots beside it. I never had enough seeds/spawn/farmers to get close to filling that room up.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 11:43:03 pm »

My largest farm is the Gladiator's pit. I sewed seeds of skull seeds and watered them with the blood of my enemies...

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 03:18:44 am »

When I first started playing, I'de plant eight 5x5 plots, but quickly learned that produced too much food -- I couldn't even sell it all without just gifting it away. So I started planting only half the eight plots, saving the remainder for later expansion. Which I discovered that I would never use.

I eventually settled on clearing out four 5x5 plots and planting just one for plump helmets, saving the others for Sun Berries if they show up, or some other industry that might take my fancy later (but hasn't). Haven't seen Sun Berries in a long time though.

Also, I've seen people mention fertilizing, but the last time I took potash on my embark (a couple versions ago) they never used it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:24:45 am by AngleWyrm »

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 05:40:26 am »

7x11, and plump helmets.  Don't seem to have any, though, as I banked up the manager with Brew;30 and Construct Lead Barrel;30.

Swimming in booze and meat (if you accidently kill Urist McCrazyCatWoman, you can butcher all the breeding felines she had) but no plants.  Do Dwarves have cholesterol problems?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »

My largest farm is the Gladiator's pit. I sewed seeds of skull seeds and watered them with the blood of my enemies...
I see what you did there  ;D

- dwarf fortress wiki

Anubis039

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »

I usually have a 3x10 plot for every type of crop i have seeds for. It keeps my planters busy and makes sure i have a fair balance of crops.
TG: like if honor among thieves is something then lets call it camaraderie among ironic rapping roof ninjas
Pages: [1] 2