Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Modding Questions Thread  (Read 1904 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The DF2010 Little Modding Questions Thread
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:27:16 pm »

I'm surprised there isn't anything like this, given the popularity of the similar thread in the Gameplay Questions forum.
Whenever I have a small question about modding and ask about it in the aforementioned thread, I'm usually directed here. So I figured why not create a question thread for this forum as well?

So ask all your questions that you think are undeserving of their own threads!

And to start us off...

My question: for modded creatures that produce webs (in my case, simply copy+pasting from the cavespider data and modifying a few strings) is it possible to give their related thread and silk products a different adjective than that of the creature itself? Example: I'd like the Magmaclutch Spider to produce Ember Silk Thread, not Magmaclutch Spider Silk thread. Is that possible?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Modding Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:00:43 pm »

Yes. Give me a minute while I check the raws for that mod...

Under
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SILK:SILK_TEMPLATE]

add
      [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:ember silk]
      [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:ember silk]

and tell me if it works.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:03:55 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »

I got questions not answered in the main modding thread yet either so I might as well try again.
I was capible of modding it so I can play as a batman(and every cavern civ) but my guy is completely useless, no skills, no armor, no clothes, and a copper spear. How can I mod it so that at the very very least these guys start with basic armor?

If I modded it so Slade was minable does the game already allow you to make weapons/armor out of it? If so what skills does it use to make better slade stuff? As I'm pretty sure it's a rock not a metal. If you cannot make stuff out of slade with it being minable how could I edit the creation of slade stuff into my Smelter or something similer?

How can I mod it so Adventurers start with more availible skill points at character creation?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:05 pm »

I got questions not answered in the main modding thread yet either so I might as well try again.
I was capible of modding it so I can play as a batman(and every cavern civ) but my guy is completely useless, no skills, no armor, no clothes, and a copper spear. How can I mod it so that at the very very least these guys start with basic armor?
They are useless because underground civs don't have sites, so they don't have a proper civilization for you to start from, which seems to be required for you to start with skills and items.  You will need to actually create a proper civilization for them, one which has the ability to make clothing and armor and weapons and which has aboveground cities of some sort.  Your best bet might actually be to just copy the dwarf entity data, rename it and change it to use bat men instead of dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »

There IS such thing started by me. Also there's a whole MODDER'S WORKSHOP thread... No need to multiply those, honestly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:52 pm »

There IS such thing started by me. Also there's a whole MODDER'S WORKSHOP thread... No need to multiply those, honestly.

I think the goal of this thread is slightly different from the Modder's Workshop thread, but to each their own.

[quote author = Urist Imiknorris]
Yes. Give me a minute while I check the raws for that mod...

Under
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SILK:SILK_TEMPLATE]

add
      [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:ember silk]
      [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:ember silk]

and tell me if it works.
[/quote]

Indeed, it does. After I added "Prefix: None" anyway. Before that I was getting Magmaclutch Spider Ember Silk Web. Now it's just Ember Silk Web.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:08:47 pm by veok »

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:10:03 am »

I'm a bit new to modding, and i tried to make a creature that's a gas, but whenever i examine it (using v>z) the game crashes.

HElp.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 02:34:30 am »

How the goal is different if it's the same (questions and help)?

!!crundle!!: post your creature raws, how can we help without you sharing the info? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:17:18 am »

How the goal is different if it's the same (questions and help)?

!!crundle!!: post your creature raws, how can we help without you sharing the info? :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

there. If you can't guess, it uses the iron man raws as a base.

EDIT: fixed the crashing by switching to tissues, but now my gaseous men melt...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:25:22 pm by !!crundle!! »
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »

If I modded it so Slade was minable does the game already allow you to make weapons/armor out of it? If so what skills does it use to make better slade stuff? As I'm pretty sure it's a rock not a metal. If you cannot make stuff out of slade with it being minable how could I edit the creation of slade stuff into my Smelter or something similer?

How can I mod it so Adventurers start with more availible skill points at character creation?

I can't help with#1 or 3, but I may be able to help with #2.

Slade is considered an ore, sort of, but has no metal made for it, and even if you had mined some out, you can't make a rock short sword out of it because it's max edge(as far as I know) is 1000, and you need 10000 to make a rock short sword. So, basically, you would need to make a metal for it, then specify it used for weapons, armor, etc, then make a smelter reaction to turn the ore into a bar of the metal.

Something like this, just off the top of my head:

(Goes in inorganic_metal.txt in raw folder)

[INORGANIC:REFINED_SLADE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:refined slade]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten refined slade]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling refined slade]
   [DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1]
   [MATERIAL_VALUE:300]
   [MELTING_POINT:50000]
   [BOILING_POINT:50000]
   [ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
   [ITEMS_HARD]
   [ITEMS_METAL]
   [ITEMS_BARRED]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:200000]
   [LIQUID_DENSITY:200000]
   [MOLAR_MASS:55845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:4000000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:5000000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:4000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TENSILE_YIELD:4000000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TORSION_YIELD:4000000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:4000000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:5000000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[BENDING_YIELD:4000000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:5000000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [MAX_EDGE:100000]
        [DEEP_SURFACE]

(goes in reactions_smelter.txt in raw folder)

[REACTION:REFINED_SLADE_MAKING]
[NAME:refine raw slade]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:SLADE]
[REAGENT:B:450:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:REFINED_SLADE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

(This takes 3 coke/charcoal and a slade boulder and will require either another one to fuel it or a magma smelter. You can remove the three coal by taking out reagent b.)

Chances are, even if i got everything right(which is unlikely since i just threw this together on the spot), it still might not work, pretty sure Toady said this stuff is buggy because of something in the code. You'd also have to enable the smelter reaction in entity_default for dwarves and generate a new world. ALso keep in mind each slade boulder is something like 14 tons, i think? Moving these is going to be awful, and anyone using weapons/armor made of it would likely move slow as hell.

Of course there's also the problem of actually getting the stuff to test with it, you could try removing the [DEEP_SURFACE] tags from the metal and the ore, and slapping them on something else, then giving slade boulders this tag:[SEDIMENTARY] That should turn it into a sedimentary layer, though again i've never tried it, i'm pretty much just guessing. Also make sure you remove the [UNDIGGABLE] tag, or you won't be able to dig through any of it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »

How exactly would I make a square of a workshop impassable?
Like:
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

Is it possible to use water/steam/ice in a creature, without modding in a new 'water' material?  Forgotten beasts can be made out of various water states by default, so I wasn't sure.
It is possible to use water for a tissue, it's simply [TISSUE_MATERIAL:WATER].

EDIT: And can a creature be hollow, or do you have to use some kind of filler for the interior (like the iron men have)?
RE-EDIT:  While I'm asking, can things like figurines/amulets/goblets get used for ITEMCORPSE?  I've got thieving ghosts animated by a lust for wealth that I'd have drop a treasure on death, but I've only figured out how to use toys or instruments. It's simply [ITEMCORPSE:FIGURINE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GOLD], which also works with AMULET, CROWN, and GOBLET as I've tested so far.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:05:51 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 12:41:21 am »

Like:

Add the tags

[BLOCK:1:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0]

To your building definition. Expand or contract the grid to the proper size for your building. 1 is a blocked tile, 0 is a passable tile.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 09:26:04 am »

Like:

Add the tags

[BLOCK:1:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0]

To your building definition. Expand or contract the grid to the proper size for your building. 1 is a blocked tile, 0 is a passable tile.
Ahhh. Simple binary comes in handy once again!
So, it would look like this?
xxx
xxx
xxx
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:22:41 am »

If we're asking questions in this thread now anyway, I might as well throw my own problem here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything about these reactions is functional. Except for one thing, and that is that it does not actually train the skill.

The problem is simple, and that is that I don't know the actual skill title. I believe I have the [SKILL:ARMORSMITHING] part wrong, but I'm not sure what it should be replaced with. Do I just need to replace ARMORSMITHING with ARMORSMITH?

In case anybody is wondering, I know there is a dwarvern higher learning mod, and I know this is already included, but I'm using genesis and I don't want to mess wih the raws more than I have to to get it to work, and downloading both would have it's own problems.

Apologies in advance if I'm being a moron. It happens more often than it should.
Pages: [1] 2