Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mechanical Erupting Volcano + Fast Magma Pumping  (Read 26586 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Erupting Volcano + Fast Magma Pumping
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 07:04:51 pm »

An aside: Real volcanic eruptions in the game would be terrifying. Imagine having to face a pyroclastic flow.

Seeing how nearly every volcano in DF is a Hawaaian type, I don't see much pyroclastic flows coming forth.

Though more realistic volcanoes and eruptions would be awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 07:35:48 pm »

The Nature Arc, including volcanoes, thunderstorms, floods, etc.  Should happen, eventually.  After the caravan and army arc, and whatever is after those.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »

On the concept of magma pistons: If you had a piston that extended 5 levels above the surface, and had it above a reservoir that was 5 levels deep, then when dropped, would 5 levels of magma suddenly appear above-ground?  Could we create an insta-flood of magma by suddenly generating a 20 tall tower of magma?
That's basically what i had planned, Just haven't gotten around to it yet, although i would have gone with a 20x20x20 cube piston with a 20x20x20 reservoir and some sort of resettable system to drop the old piston into the magma sea, cast a new piston and refill the reservoir...... But an above ground reservoir dumper would probably work easier.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »

Actually, I've been thinking about a rapid liquid applicator.  Be it magma or water, the goal will simply be to output as much water as possible in as short a time as possible.  This involves several pumps facing towards a center tile, so that the fluid is being pushed to one central column.  When this column is opened at the bottom, it will NOT enjoy pressure from the chamber, as the 4 pumps facing inwards will clog the area and prevent regular pressurization.  However, it WILL enjoy pump pressure, which can be several magnitudes more terrifying.  Anyone who's toyed with pressurized pumps before will know how this works, with a pump pressing water into a tunnel it can move water at a rate of 7/7 every few frames, which is enough to rush through a pipe pretty quickly and overflow it.  However, 4 pumps facing a central open shaft, will pump 4x as much liquid, giving a faster flow.  5 layers deep, that's 20 pumps providing constant pressure down a tube that will far surpass traditional pressurization.  Done correctly, this can easily result in superpressure pumps that can deliver a solid 1 tile wide tube of liquid to nearly any corner of the map near-instantly, promptly overflowing.  This could be used to have one central reservoir that can instantly cause several locations to overflow, not from timing of valve release but simply from speed of fluid.  The pressure would be so high as to make the flow of liquid nearly instant!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »

Actually, I've been thinking about a rapid liquid applicator.  Be it magma or water, the goal will simply be to output as much water as possible in as short a time as possible.  This involves several pumps facing towards a center tile, so that the fluid is being pushed to one central column.  When this column is opened at the bottom, it will NOT enjoy pressure from the chamber, as the 4 pumps facing inwards will clog the area and prevent regular pressurization.  However, it WILL enjoy pump pressure, which can be several magnitudes more terrifying.  Anyone who's toyed with pressurized pumps before will know how this works, with a pump pressing water into a tunnel it can move water at a rate of 7/7 every few frames, which is enough to rush through a pipe pretty quickly and overflow it.  However, 4 pumps facing a central open shaft, will pump 4x as much liquid, giving a faster flow.  5 layers deep, that's 20 pumps providing constant pressure down a tube that will far surpass traditional pressurization.  Done correctly, this can easily result in superpressure pumps that can deliver a solid 1 tile wide tube of liquid to nearly any corner of the map near-instantly, promptly overflowing.  This could be used to have one central reservoir that can instantly cause several locations to overflow, not from timing of valve release but simply from speed of fluid.  The pressure would be so high as to make the flow of liquid nearly instant!

..... mind = blown.

Megadorf bonus for combination flash- drowning, frying, or freezing traps, toggle-able with water logic.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »

Actually, the most intended use of mine was large-scale drowning.  I'm playing Fortress Defense, and you can easily have two hundred hostile units on the screen at once.  This drowning chamber will be no smaller than 20x50, with some rather significant water pressure and tunnel systems in place to encourage smooth, rapid, and theatrical drowning.  Granted, some of the enemies in FD don't breathe, so there will be a system in place to drain the water down to 1 layer, so that my army can jump in and swim over to kill any survivors.  Only once all enemies are slain will the area be completely emptied.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 12:18:11 am »

Shameless self-promotion for the purpose of educating about a variant of the weapon system invented by the OP:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77353
(Aimable Volcanic Eruption Magma Superweapon)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 04:09:56 pm »

Oh. My. Armok.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »

I suppose this would work just as well with Water, to flood the world, making a dwarven sub?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:43 pm »

Epic.
Bump
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »

This seems to be a good invasion deterrent.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:12 pm »

Total incineration is a *slightly* effective way of roasting everything on the map.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 03:36:41 pm »

Total incineration is a *slightly* effective way of roasting everything on the map.

Also a heck of a way to tell the elves to go screw themselves.

In fact, do it on a river tile with a seperate water pump system, and you could possibly encase the entire map in obsidian, like a shiny black Pompeii.

And then maybe engrave it. Engrave it all.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:25:32 pm »

Also a heck of a way to tell the elves to go screw themselves.

In fact, do it on a river tile with a seperate water pump system, and you could possibly encase the entire map in obsidian, like a shiny black Pompeii.

And then maybe engrave it. Engrave it all.

Gears of Dorf fortress.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 02:55:20 am »

Such a neat invention must be kept alive, for !!SCIENCE!!
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4