Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: *Reh2ḱele, *reh2ḱele...  (Read 7131 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: *Reh2ḱele, *reh2ḱele...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:23:09 am »

I agree, you should definitely wait until you're out of school or uni or whatever, then wait some more, and, shall you succeed, never mention you were her student.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 10:17:44 am »

Don't listen to anything Vector has to say on the subject.

Hahahaha >_>

No, I too am in the "don't be creepy" camp.  Fantasizing is one thing, but crooning her name in Proto-Indo-European is another.

I personally find that I fall hard for people who teach me stuff, in general.  I end up feeling such strong admiration for the master of the subject, and passion about whatever I'm learning, that it turns into this sort of problematic crush complex.  The nice thing about this is that, since I know this about myself, I've been able to build up reasonable mental defenses so that I don't do anything extraordinarily stupid.

Maybe you should just study your history, apply your warm feelings to that, and just move on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:18 am »

Thanks for not taking that seriously. Listen to Vector, she's right. I sort of assumed you (OP) were in college as you posted this, which would only work if she has interest in you, which I would automatically assume doubt. If you are in high school, seriously, find someone your age to mingle with.

I would personally look for someone outside you school, so you don't get the drama associated with your peers, the break-up complications, and making her part of an already boring routine. Out-of-school relationships are based on your interests more than your proximity, and you won't have to deal with him or her for 8 hours a day when you don't want to.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 06:33:25 pm »

I sort of assumed you (OP) were in college as you posted this, which would only work if she has interest in you, which I would automatically assume doubt. If you are in high school, seriously, find someone your age to mingle with.
In one of his previous posts, he said he's a high school student.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »

Yeah dude, it's cool for you to think a teacher's hot, but it's never, ever ok to actually date her.

First off, it screws her career. Forever. Remember that one lady who got caught having that relationship with one of her students? Totally consensual, yet her career was ruined forever and she's now always going to be remembered as "Ms. Hadsexwithherstudent"

Don't do it. At all. Find someone else. You're in High School. Trust me, you'll get over her.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:35 pm »

I'm wondering: what makes all the posters here think that she would actually consent?

... in fact, I'd expect her to be the one to make those considerations... if the only reason she wont have sex with a student is because the student acted more mature than her (thanks to one of the few examples of non-destructive advice on Life Advice, of all things), then that girl has a problem...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 09:20:46 pm »

I don't think we're assuming she'd go with it.  I think we're trying to apply to his theoretical empathy for her position.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:07 am »

I wonder if the original poster has even come back to the thread...?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »

Maybe he's getting busy with this Rehkle of his while we are arguing here like monks.  :o
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:35 pm »

Seriously, why does Indo-European or whatever have so many numbers and asterisks?  How do you even pronounce that?
Shoes...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 01:31:13 pm »

The asterisk says that the word is reconstructed, i.e., it may also be complete bullshit.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 04:04:43 pm »

AFAIK indoeuropean is not as much a real language as a synthesis on how it might have sounded like based on the existing indoeuropean languages.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »

It sounds like the official language of Starbucks.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 12:11:11 pm »

Man, the lack of romance in this thread is appalling...

Here's what you should do:

1) Go to your nearest video store and look for an anime DVD whose plot is really similar to the situation you are describing. This is useful to know what you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinen_manga

2) Imitate absolutely everything the hero of said anime does.

3) ???

4) Happiness!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:16:15 pm by Sergius »

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 12:59:53 pm »

I am in mad love with my history teacher (whose name is Rachel).

No you aren't.

Back in highschool I had a literature teacher who declared to the class one day, after some giggling schoolgirls had disrupted class for about the third time with their tales of love, that highschoolers were constitutionally incapable of love.  I was, of course, offended at the time.  I was personally deeply in love with the woman who would eventually become my wife.  But, actually, he wasn't that far off the mark.

It isn't so much that highschoolers specifically are incapable of love...  Only that it takes quite a bit longer to genuinely fall in love than most highschoolers can maintain a relationship.  Most US citizens, actually.

Love isn't what you feel when you see a cute girl (guy?) across the room.  Love isn't what you feel when you want to jump somebody's bones.  Love isn't what you feel when you like hanging out together and talking. 

You have to genuinely get to know somebody before you can love them.  You have to see their flaws and accept them.  I'd suggest that until you know somebody well enough to genuinely hate something about them, that you don't know them well enough to genuinely love them either.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7