Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39496 times)

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »

Oh dang, I forgot to ask earlier. Can I be added to the turn list again?

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2011, 12:43:31 am »

From the Log Book of Glacial Nitigkikrost, Big Game Hunter

22 Galena, 531
On the positive side, the goblin ambushes at the gate are broken with minor casualties; one clothier found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. The champion swordsdwarf Donpatrick Zuntirkan Ugosh Alnis seemed to particularly enjoy herself in the battle; reports indicate she bit a goblin's foot off and then methodically removed the rest of his limbs, one by one.

On the negative side, Donpatrick has passed out after the battle -- not due to wounds inflicted by the goblins, but due to blistering all over her hands. This looks suspiciously like the magpie's toxin that killed three members of the Trampled Stockades, but I can't find any trace of poison on Donpatrick.

24 Galena, 531
Donpatrick has made it to the hospital. I've asked the fortress medics to devote themselves to healing her. Let's hope they stop drinking long enough to obey.

15 Timber, 531
Donpatrick is back to full health. The kobolds are so happy to see her that they can barely hang onto their loincloths.

Also, having completed work on a new well, my clever compatriots somehow managed to open the wrong door in the pump stack supplying it, flooding a lower level of the fortress.

I've ordered Cheetah to beat the offending parties with her adamantine hammer.

*SPOING* *SPOING* *SPOING*

18 Timber, 531

Siege! The goblins have dispatched three squads, including one cluster of archers.

Make that four squads -- I missed a bunch of trolls.

22 Timber, 531
Four days later, the siege has been broken, with only one death -- a child in the wrong place at the start.

For once, dwarven tactics worked perfectly. I led my fellow marksmen to the top of the main Bellwaxed castle, and we pinned down the archers while the the Trampled Stockades and the Beans of Silver swept down the main entrance, working their way through one enemy squad at a time. There was a rough moment when the recruit squad camptain of the Beans of Silver decided to wrestle four trolls at once... but astonishingly, it worked, occupying them until the axe-dwarves arrived.

8 Opal, 531
Alas, one of the gem setters lost her mind, demanding 'yarn'. I am unclear what this 'yarn' might be, but know I have never seen any. I offered her some shells and body parts, but was rebuffed.

Guess what happened next?

I've decided to pretend this was the artifact she made. No one needs to know.

20 Opal, 531
I have set myself a goal: use up all the coke in the fortress.

Sniff!

28 Opal, 531
Bellwaxed is now a duchy -- with no duke or duchess.

14 Obsidian, 531

18 Obsidian, 531
A vile force of darkness regrets its decision to mess with Bellwaxed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarven tactics worked fairly well again, except for an elite goblin archer who returned fire on my squad of marksdwarves. By the end, three of us, including myself, needed assistance to the hospital.

Dude, there's STILL free food here!

1 Granite, 532
I've decided to hang up my mantle of leadership in favor of leeching off the welfare state from the hospital. Naturally, I left a bunch of work unfinished.

I have the Beans of Silver and Trampled Stockades down in the lowest cavern, harvesting nether-caps and protecting construction of a bridge to MORE ADAMANTINE.

I didn't manage to use up all the coke, but I used a whole bunch, and expect to see more used up in the months to come. Bellwaxed, fortress of coke!

To future overseers, I offer this advice: build a megaproject. The Bellwaxed military is hardcore, and my efforts to make things Fun by taking on all the forgotten beasts ended in a glorious victory for Bellwaxed.

Here is my final report.

Game save here!

Finally, I leave you with this fine example of dwarven industry, circa year 531.

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2011, 03:55:38 am »

I looks like it's Terrahex's turn next. I sent him a PM because it doesn't look like SethCreiyd has.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2011, 09:19:34 am »

I poked Terrahex right after finishing, and have PM'd DorvenEngineering now.

DorvenEngineering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »

Okay. I just got the PM. I'll download the save now. However, it could be that it will take a while until I actually get to play it, schedule issues. If you're willing to wait until - most likely - Thursday or maybe Friday for the update, that would be great, otherwise you may want to contact the next guy.  :-\
Why I think goblins are the superior species? In Goblin (language_GOBLIN), "Armok" literally means "skirt-whore", as in "ar" = "skirt" and "mok" = "whore". So while the other languages fail to deliver even as much as a direct translation, to the green-skinned people of the towers, the almighty God of Blood himself is but a little bi*ch. For this, one might induce, they pay with many a hapless siege, yet still, they don't give up and change insults or anything like that. Go, goblins!

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2011, 02:27:06 pm »

Wow, it is awesome to see that this Fort is still alive and kicking, if a bit slowly progressing. :D

Loved your turn Glacial and I agree: New challenges have to be found! Imo letting our fort die in an unheroic fashion or to a doomsday device would be unfitting with the lore, though. Do something heroic, challenge hell itself or something. Or we could try to become a mountainhome, build a megaproject and call our kingdom saved without actually getting wiped. Maybe a bit undwarvenly, but fitting for the original mission.

Out of curiosity I took a little look through our military and tried to assembled a current kill-ranking. I went by notable kills and used other kills only on a tie (sorry Glacial :P). I also cannot guarantee that the lower ranks are correct with all those dwarves. All of those soldiers are or were legendary masters in their trade except for the Marksdwarves. The * stands for the year they joined the fort.

Kill Top 10:
1.Thikut Idenkon (Axe); *523: 65 +5
2.Donpatrick (Sword/Wrestling); *523: 45 +14
3.Thob Lertethorith (Sword); *523, RIP 531: 44 +10
4.Momuz Sebirshorast (Sword); *524: 27 +3
5.Tholtig Edimshen (Axe); *523: 23 +5
6.Urvad Logemgosmer (Hammer); *523, RIP 531: 14 +6
7.Lolor Luzatkel (Sword); *523, RIP 531: 11 +5
8.Lokum Mengimesh (Spear); *526: 6 +0
9.fivex (Crossbow); *522: 5 +1
10.Glacial (Crossbow); *528: 3 +8

Honorary mention: Cerol Erushmafol (Crossbow); *528, RIP 529: 1 +19
So yeah...3 of our best warriors died during your reign Glacial!! Remember their sacrifices and honor their memories! D:

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2011, 03:47:11 pm »

So yeah...3 of our best warriors died during your reign Glacial!! Remember their sacrifices and honor their memories! D:

That's because I fight my sieges. :)

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2011, 05:11:53 am »

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure they get the glory they deserve. Fighting and dieing for the fort is what they are there for after all.
I am also surprised and impressed that my dwarf still lives. The safe live of an paperpusher I guess. :D

Btw. I would like to take another turn, if no one else is volunteering. You can put eventual newcomers before me though.

DorvenEngineering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2011, 05:29:56 am »

Oh, wow... Guys, I'm sorry, but my machine is pretty fucked at the moment. Can't realistically run the game, FPS is somewhere around 2 to 3 and everything keeps crashing and bluescreening. So I guess whoever's on the turn list after me should do it and I'll be back whenever I manage to get this thing back to working order.  :-\
Why I think goblins are the superior species? In Goblin (language_GOBLIN), "Armok" literally means "skirt-whore", as in "ar" = "skirt" and "mok" = "whore". So while the other languages fail to deliver even as much as a direct translation, to the green-skinned people of the towers, the almighty God of Blood himself is but a little bi*ch. For this, one might induce, they pay with many a hapless siege, yet still, they don't give up and change insults or anything like that. Go, goblins!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »

Okay, that brings us to Baron Baconeer.  PM pending.  Also, epic, hilarious turn Glacial.

If we don't get any new players, then we can wrap up the fort after Felcis plays, but if we go that way, we should come up with a proper sendoff.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2011, 10:58:26 am »

A silent graveyard. Lightning strikes. A hand rises from the ground.

I LIVE AGAIN.

That's right, it's summer and I actually have time to play DF again. So not dead. Much. I'll read what I've missed and start playing.

EDIT: By the way, what has happened to my dorf? Can't find him anywhere. So he is called famous squid of talking now? Titlesomeful.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:24:23 am by Baron Baconeer »
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »

proper sendoff? What better way than a fight with the clowns!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2011, 06:29:24 am »

"And there I was, surrounded by thirteen goblin spearmen, all alone, when suddenl..." Baron interrupted his passionate and mostly true speech to the recruits, and looked behind him. A dwarf in regal (mostly unrotten) clothing was treading down the hall towards him. Baron stood up and faced the dwarf. "Is it the goblins again, or...?"
"No, not at all." The dwarf muttered with the monotone voice of a life-long clerk, "You may know that we have been promoted into a duchy lately? Well, we don't have a duke, and the queen doesn't like when the place is runned by couple of soldiers. She has threatened that if we don't promote somebody to the job we won't be visited by beer-caravans for next seven decades. So, you're closest to a noble we have at the moment. You're now the emergency-baron of Bellwaxed until actual nobility arrives. Have a nice day." The dwarf turned away and walked back the corridor. Baron himself was left awestruck in the middle of the bewildered soldiers.

1st. Granite 532
So, it's Emergency-duke-baron Baron Baconeer the famous squid of talking the speardwarf now? Okay, I can live with that. Hopefully they don't make me to sign anything. My day as the reigning, I don't know, overseer? Was to take a tour of the place. I think the fort-gate-whatever-building's bridges are supposed to be retractable, but nobody really knows where the levers are. This place is an architecht's nightmare anyhow. I can't even visit my wife's and daughter's graves because I don't know where they are! A kobold was spotted hanging around on our bridge, but one of the recruits kicked it.

9th. Granite 532
I was awoken by someone knocking at my door. Behind it was yet another clerk-dwarf who told me that the ordered 20 doors had been built. Why on earth would I need that many doors anyway?

10th. Granite 532
I was attacked by a smith raving "I NEED BLACK BRONZE MATERIALS NOW.", followed by somebody crying about lack of hair. Well, not really attacked, but it was way scarier than those trolls and forgotten beasts and whatever. The old leaders have been up to some really weird stuff.

16th. Granite 532
Some cheetah was scaring masons outside, so I decided to start the hunting season.

Awesome. And some engraver was really inspired about it and started to build something.

22nd. Granite 532
The mayor wants a turtle shell table. Maybe he'd rather want a magma tapestry in her room...

24th. Granite 532
Migrant wave. Good that so many people have died that we have room for the new ones!

...Wait.

28th Granite 532

Engraver just made this. It has a nice goblin-stabbery theme.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:17 am »

Woo hoo! Great start, Baron Baconeer. I look forward to seeing more.

The bridge controls are in a big, central dining room about three or four levels down from the surface. There are a bunch in a vertical line.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:16 am »

1st. Slate 532
It's my month off from the militia, so I decided to go wander around the fort. There are way too many cats and kittens, so I ordered them all to be butchered.

2nd. Slate 532
Started building a huge-ass house for me. That's obligatory for leaders, isn't it?

13th. Slate 532
The mayor has finally gained his sanity back, and demands spears. Ah, the spear, such a slender yet effective, graceful and glamoro Note to self: No free-form poetry after thirteenth dwarven rum.

24th. Slate 532

Good to see more and more good warriors being brought up.

5th Felsite 532

Nom nom nom.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19