Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39505 times)

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:33 am »

I decided I might as well do the write up myself. It would take too long to pass the writing on to my brother. So here it is.

Log of McGuinty, formerly known as Feshimush Wingdikes

Granite
It seems the well is blocked up by a tree so I've had another one made while it is fixed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been noticing since I got here that the halls are getting more confusing and maze-like. I think I may be able to sort this out by separating different sorts of workshops to areas most suited for them. For instance food preparation and carpentry near the surface, crafting for trade and the like by the trade depot, and metalworking by the magma.

It looks like there isn't a safe place underground for military training either so I've designated a suitable area to be dug.

I'll try to keep the amount of rubble created to a minimum. I know how too much of it slows everyone down.

The military is back in order. Something was going wrong when their uniform had any sort of glove. I think they're preferences are going to cause a lot of lost hands but what do I know, I'm no militiadwarf.

Early Slate
I've started the military on a training schedule and it looks like they've picked up most of their uniform.

The old well has returned to functionality.

I started designating what was needed for the new groupings of workshops. I don't think the nobles will mind moving to communal office spaces.

I think I found a few good candidates for guard duty. Some might think them too ordinary or not strong enough but at least we won't see any smashed skulls over unfulfilled work orders. I decided to just go with Edem, our strand extractor.

Late Slate
Alith, our Chief Medical Dwarf died en route to the hospital after being beaten by Edem our new Captain of the Guard. Our Fortress Guard apparently was issued a silver hammer even though the requisition form clearly stated they are only supposed to get adamantine hammers. I've promoted Atir the farmer to chief medical dwarf. I'll send another requisition form so this doesn't happen again

Our bone doctor Datan was struck down. I'll have to bring her the right hammer in person.

Ral our woodworker was killed. I wasn't able to get to Edem in time so I've suspended her position as fortress guard. I hope the message gets to her before another dwarf dies.

I heard a commotion in the dining hall and I was able to yell out a move command for Edem's squad and for her to throw away the silver hammer. The criminal was none other than Lolor, one of our militia captains. It seems our proud military would rather die than fight back against the Guard. Luckily he only sustained a few bruises.

I told Edem she could pick up suvasumoz the artifact adamantine mace but he headed off after Lolor. I don't think fists will be too much of a problem for a dwarf in full adamantine plate.

After a long walk back to work I've come to realize that even the most noble of dwarves shouldn't be given authority to beat any criminal with impunity. Given the chance to wield an artifact and refusing! I hope I never sink so low.

I've made sure Edem left her position. It took some negotiating but another miner, Melbil, was willing to get her punishment over with. I only heard later that her husband, the surgeon, was the one who's mandate she didn't fulfill.

Felsite
Tired of waiting around, I decided we needed to go on the offensive. I ordered the military to suit up and wait a little ways inside. After stationing a few dwarves on the ballistae and starting up the spikes I lowered the entrance bridge. The humans didn't charge in so a scout looked outside and they only saw two of the buggers still out there. Under constant barrage I'm actually surprised they held out this long. Our military executed the two stragglers shortly after. I almost feel sorry for them being left behind and all.

As the siege was finally lifted an Elven caravan arrived.

Some Kobold ambush squads appeared and were quickly dealt with by the squad left by the gate. I think they were glad to have something more to kill than just two humans.

We purchased some of the basics like food, booze, and a caged tiger.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:12:03 pm by mcguinty »

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »

Hematite
The Liaison finally concluded his business with us. We are now a county!
Here is the export agreement.

The military has been sparring almost non-stop and as a result we now have an Axe Lord and two Sword Masters

Malachite
Not much happening. Just moving stuff around some to increase efficiency.

Galena
Another siege. It looks like they are employing the same tactics. I get the feeling I wouldn't get lucky, like the last time, if I try to fight them head on.

Adil Sodelokir was crushed by one of the drawbrides on his way inside.

I sent some of the marksdwarves to a bunker near them but their lead marksman was able to shoot through the fortifications. So now we only have three mobile marksdwarves left.

The humans are slowly moving towards the gate. They must be pensive about an all out assault or they're trying to surprise us.

They charged over the bridges but we were able to time the levers well enough so a few at the front were caught in our courtyard, a few on the spikes and a few in the ballistae's line of fire. The military cleared them out easily.

The next squad was eager for revenge. They recklessly busted in and fell in to the same trap. That's two of the five squads taken care of.

The crossbowmen had me worried for a second. Trying to pull the same trick we lowered all the bridges and waited till they crossed the first one to pull them all up. The only Dwarves available to pull the levers were a ways away so all the Humans almost made it to the courtyard. Thankfully the bridge slammed shut right in front of the leading Human leaving them all trapped in a room full of retracted spikes at the ready. Suffice to say their screams drove the remaining humans back to their castles.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2011, 03:23:51 pm »

That's quite the pile of bodies you got there.  Nice turn so far.

edit:  I did a double-take on that massive gem stockpile.  Any encrusting going on?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:42:39 pm by SethCreiyd »

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2011, 05:42:53 pm »

That's quite the pile of bodies you got there.  Nice turn so far.

edit:  I did a double-take on that massive gem stockpile.  Any encrusting going on?

Thanks.  :)

Yup, we have our best people Dwarves on it. We can probably even add two more workshops.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:33:18 am by mcguinty »

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2011, 04:04:26 am »

Sandstone
A nightwing showed up. I've never heard of them before. Sadly it picked off a surgeon before the military could take care of it. They say it was trying to suck out his blood when they got there.

Some migrants arrived. Two of them were siege operators, one was a siege engineer, and none of them were nobles. I think the bureau of immigration finally has their stuff together.   

I think I'll inaugurate their arrival with some elephant roast.

Timber
The liaison and some merchants from Shedkadol arrived. I've heard rumors that the merchants always carve a more favorable picture than the liaison. I hope we can keep him occupied till the merchants have a good head start.

Wow, there's seven pack animals loaded with goods. It may be because of all the time I spend in the mines but that has to be more than average.
Here's an interesting tunic I found out we had, while trading.

Logem a three year old has been struck by a fey mood.

Moonstone
The child finished his mysterious construction and is now a legendary bone carver.

Another nightwing attacked one of the new siege engineers. They survived thanks to a quick response by the military.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »

Moonstone
The child finished his mysterious construction and is now a legendary bone carver.

And Toady fixed a lingering, annoying issue with bone artifacts, too!

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2011, 11:55:47 pm »

Opal
Work has begun on the arena. I think a safe deadline is before year's end.

O-Oh biscuits. Starting on the new project I forgot to unlock Sethis' office after the merchants left. A respected leader of this fortress is dead because of my stupid mistake. I could hear the liaison yelling as he stormed out of the fortress.

I can't look anyone in the eyes anymore.

I need something good for people to remember me by.

I have to keep digging.

Obsidian
Adil? Is uh... I didn't... You can't be here. I'm just-I'm just low on booze that's all. Why is he standing so close... Somebody make a memorial slab for Adil!

My thirst for beer is quenched but the apparition isn't gone. I'll just go back to the dig site and act normal. If anyone asks why I was babbling to myself I'll just say I didn't have enough to drink.

Back to digging. Get a hold of yourself McGuinty.

Curses. A vile force of darkness. They have trolls and all but one of them is a marksgoblin. Two cats were killed by volleys of bolts. Less to kill us with I guess, hah, heh...

The arena is all dug out and bridges are designated. I can't Imagine not finishing this before the year is up.

There's so much work to do. Not enough time.

Spring has arrived. Our count is dead. The arena is an empty husk. The trolls are pounding at the gates. Maybe I can convince them to leave... Yeah! I'll come running out the gate warning them of the Forgotten beasts below. Hah, heheh... this can't fail.

OOC: Here are the plans for the arena if the next person wants to finish it.

Edit: Gah, I forgot the save, end of the year report, and the character sheet for 'mcguinty' feshimush.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4162

EotYR:
Don't worry we have 600 prepared meals.

Mcguinty:

Edit2: Sorry about killing you SethCreiyd. Would I be able to get another turn at the end of the list?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:47:34 pm by mcguinty »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 11, 2011, 10:35:46 am »

Posting to follow.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2011, 11:49:46 pm »

I am up next! I will start... soonish!

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2011, 09:51:09 am »

Yes, I'm stretching the definition of soonish. I'm downloading now!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »

Edit2: Sorry about killing you SethCreiyd. Would I be able to get another turn at the end of the list?

That's the second succession dwarf of mine in a row to die that way.  The Universe must be telling me something.  :P  I'll put you down again and update the OP as soon as I get a(nother) moment.

Good luck Glacial!  Please dwarf me as a migratory mason, I want to see how long it takes me to wall myself off and starve.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2011, 01:06:55 pm »

See, I'm earning my username. If anyone is impatient and wants to seize Bellwaxed now, let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep crawling along.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2011, 06:49:59 pm »

From the Log Book of Glacial Nitigkikrost, Big Game Hunter

2 Granite, 531
As I was heading down to pick up some new ammunition, I passed Captain McGuinty. "You there!" she shouted at me. "You're in charge now!"

Without waiting for an answer, she started to head up top. "Where are you headed?" I asked her.

"I want to check out the siegers."

A vision of her bolt-peppered body crossed my thoughts. "As my first order, I command you to not do that."

"Right, then," Captain McGuinty declared. "Guess I'll go below and find a weapon, then." She marched down the stairs.

"Put some clothes on while you're down there!" I yelled after her.

3 Granite, 531
One of the legendary features of Bellwaxed is the magnificent stone mosaic of the namesake bell built before the castle gate. I went forth this morning to admire it, only to discover:

Some schisthead had built a new fortress entrance over it.

Does no one appreciate art? Is moving the entrance a rite of passage in every succession fort?

That's rhetorical. Duh.

8 Granite, 531
Sometimes people ask me, "Glacial, why would a famous, handsome, and successful celebrity big game hunter like you become manager of a doomed dwarven fortress where no one can wear gloves?"

10 Granite, 531
I've noticed a gaping need in the fortress: we have no Captain of the Guard. Naturally, I saw this as an opportunity to promote my lover Cheetah. Within a day, she took her duly-appointed place as the fortress's new chief of security.

She came to find me immediately afterwards.

12 Granite, 531
FOR LOVE OF ILON SHE SMASHED ME TOE! OW OW OW!

Cheetah, you should be ashamed of yourself, beating your lover. I bet you feel awful--

18 Granite, 531
Hey, wait, they bring me food as long as I'm in a hospital bed.

I've made it very clear to everyone that my toe still really hurts. It's smashed open! Look!

This isn't too bad.

1 Slate to 24 Slate, 531
"Boss, I tried to Place Item in Tomb, but Item was inaccessible."

"Open the damn gates," I groaned from my sickbed. "Send out the Trampled Stockades and the Beans of Silver. I can't take any more complaining!"

26 Slate, 531
The siege is broken. The final casualties on our side were one clothier who decided to do an interpretive dance on top of the fortress, and the valiant swordmaster Thob Lertetherith Ethadodad Oslan, who single-handledly charged two squads of bow-goblins.

Guess which one we'll miss.

1 Felsite, 531
And for our courage, a reward worthy of heroes.

Also, some twat made an elephant bone mace named the Yawning Null-Gear.

8 Felsite, 531
Food and drink supplies are running low. I ordered the farmers to plant some plump helmets.

"Er," one dissembled.

"Um," another agreed.

...really? No plump helmets in the entire fortress? How is that even possible?

Also, elves showed up.

14 Felsite, 531
So did some goblins.

16 Felsite, 531
No more ambush. No casualties, no sweat.

25 Felsite, 531
We've completed trade with the elves, and have enough supplies to avoid catastrophe until the end of my year of (mis)rule. I may even get production fixed for the next overseer before I'm through.

Why do I not seize elven goods? Because no fort needs 27 pieces of wooden armor and weapons to accidentally get equipped on the military. C'mon, folks -- trading with elves is easy: they want silk debris and metal.

1 Malachite, 531
With the siege broken and the food and drink crisis temporarily averted, it's time to focus on the big game I'm here to hunt.

These guys are my quarry:

4 Malachite, 531
We had a fey mood dyer, who produced a turtle bone earring. Yawn.

18 Malachite, 531
Another forgotten beast has joined the ranks of my prey:

10 Galena, 531
To deal with the beasts, I've built a fiendish trap filled with tasty bait animals. The idea is that the beasts will waste their time on the animals, giving me the opportunity to bring them down from afar with well-placed bolts. If I'm lucky, a war dog might even take down one of the more pathetic beasts.

Here is an engraving of my hunting blind. Note that I have two squads of adamantine-shod warriors backing me up if something goes wrong.

No one said hunting is supposed to be fair.

17 Galena, 531

Four of five forgotten beasts down... and an ambush up top! All the animals are dead, and the last beast, the toxic magpie, is at the iron door beating its way in.

19 Galena, 531

All five forgotten beasts are dead. The last one had to be dealt with face-to-face.

I have good news:

And bad news:

Now, onto the goblins.

Tune in next time as Glacial Nitigkikrost and Donpatrick Zuntirkan Ugosh Alnis answer the ever-important question, "What are those horrible blood-filled blisters on my hands, and why do I feel so dizzy?"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:08:52 pm by Glacial »

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2011, 05:47:24 am »

Awesome turn so far Glacial and well done dealing with the forgotten beasts. The military in my other fortress went up against a monstrous bloated cat and five of them were killed quite brutally by it's vapors.

From the Log Book of Glacial Nitigkikrost, Big Game Hunter

Wait, is that a pine boot you're wearing?

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:13 am »

Wait, is that a pine boot you're wearing?

Oh, schist, it is!

I rest my case on not seizing crap from the elves!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19