Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39535 times)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2010, 06:11:51 pm »

Edit: btw, do we need to be training siege operators for something, or are the catapults just for moving stone somewhere? I can make a way more efficient "Range" for them if we're training them for defenses or something.

We only have one siege operator and he's legendary, so we really have no need to train him.
I have set one*  more person to be a seige operator
*Technically two but I decided that he should just be focusing on seige engineering.
Anyways the catapults were for both things

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2010, 11:49:03 pm »

A quick test I just ran required 81 logs for an unskilled siege operator before we got three *superior quality* siege engine parts.  I estimate another 50 or so logs before he starts producing parts of that quality as a regular occurrence.

So, uh, if you want to train up a siege engineer, better break out the lumberjacks I guess.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »

Exerpts from the journal of one "Zaik2" Egommebzuth, Miner and former overseer of Bellwaxed:

I had originally come to bellwaxed looking for my father, who had ran out of our previous settlement after building up one too many drinking tabs, and left me to work them off. I wasn't sure if i'd kill him or be glad to see him, but it turns out i didn't have to bother with doing either, since he'd apparrently died once i started looking for him around Bellwaxed. Apparently he died in battle actually serving out a military draft, rather than running away, so i was at least less pissed. He must have done something right too, since upon hearing i was related to him i was immediately installed as the next overseer of Bellwaxed. However i've got no idea what i'm doing and this place is a crazy mess and i'm not really sure I know entirely what is going on.

1st Granite: There is one thing I do know though. These hallways are way too small and it's causing all sorts of issues with two dwarves moving in opposite directions through the same space. Firsty thing i'll be doing is having this fixed. Can't do it myself, i'm in bed from a cave-in earlier.

2nd Granite: Previous overseers have allowed animals to continue spewing offspring until they're everywhere, tripping, delaying, or otherwise obstructing dwarves from getting their tasks done. I've ordered all non-livestock and non-trained animals butchered to clean this mess up. Normally i'd not consider training animals, as dwarves tend to get attached to them and then throw a fit when they inevitably die, though someone seems to be using most of them as guard dogs on the surface, so i'm going to assume he had some sort of plan or purpose for it and leave them be.

5th Granite: Just noticed we're oddly short of food in comparison to our sizable alcohol stockpile.

7th Granite: Noticed we're running short on iron and adamantine, and there's tons of readily available ores located. I've since ordered a bunch of it mined out, and hopefully I can put more work orders through the smelters soon, they're sitting down there doing absolutely nothing at the moment.

8th Granite: Olan Nilakmam finished grabbing stuff for some artifact, seems to be really expensive stuff and some bones, out to be something interesting.

13th Granite: Olan Nilakmam finished up, he's made an Adamantine Breastplate, looks expensive.

4th Slate: A Forgotten beast found a way into our fort, likely from digging out adamantine in the caverns. Since they have nothing else to do, i set all of the militart at it. Shouldn't be a big deal, aside from filling coffins with those that already got caught.

also a migrant wave hit at the exact same time.

6th Slate: The forgotten beast was quickly dispatched by Thob Lerterherith, beyond a few useless craftsmen, it seems that nothing of value was lost. He promptly named his sword "Imikelis", which nobody understood, after which he elaborated that it meant "Chuckthin", and everyone regretted asking.

13th Felsite: Elven Caravan arrived, i sent the broker with instructions to take everything useful and send them home.

23rd Felsite: There was an ambush today, got wiped out pretty quickly though. One plebian was wounded, and one was killed.

25th Felsite: Another ambush, we lost a marksdwarf.

18th Hematite: Mistem Zuglarmamot got all quiet and rushed off looking for some workshop.

19th Hematite: He's found his way to a Magma Forge, we had no idea why until someone mentioned he had a bit of experience as a weaponsmith a long time ago.

26th Hematite: Mistem finished up collecting crap, we'll see what kind of weapon he makes shortly. Also apparently another Forgotten beast snuck in, it's killed a plebian and is ripping limbs off another.

3rd Malachite: Well, he's finished wasting everyone's time and materials making an adamantine mace i don't even want to talk about.

20th Galena: Seems like the whole worldis against us. Goblins lead by a human recruit were discovered by a war dog, and as the military headed out to fight them, goblins lead by an elf recruit were discovered as well. Had two wounded military and one killed, uneventful otherwise.

18th Limestone: A desert titan showed up today, it managed to eat a lone recruit before being shredded by the rest of the military, as seems to be the trend these days.

7th Timber: Etur Feshimush was possessed today. He grabbed a mason's workshop and started chasing materials around the fort.

12th Timber: The Dwarven caravan arrived and was immediately surrounded by goblins. One merchant was killed, and the rest seem content standing around a wounded merchant who is unconscious.

14th Timber: Etur finished up his artifact, the dwarf must have a weird sense of humor or something though. He's made a bauxite bed.

15h Timber: Ambushes on opposite sides of our fort, i split the military to deal with each. They were defeated without any deaths and only one injured, a marksdwarf.

24th Moonstone: A brush titan attacked today, wiped out as usual. Noone was injured.

16th Obsidian: Obok Gasholem, Master Blacksmith, took to a secretive mood and dashed off looking for a forge.

That's pretty much it. I've oddly had three(almost 4, had to turn that one down) community forts come up all at once, so I kinda had to hurry and the design was really odd to begin with so i really didn't do a lot but use the military to defend and dig out some ores.

forgotten beasts in the bottom cavern can get in now, though none of them have amounted to anything so far. Just building a wall around the dug out adamantine vein would fix it, but I was too lazy. Also the blacksmith is just about to make an adamantine something.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3412
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:09:00 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45:58 pm »

What the...did you butcher all the trained animals including the 2 war leopards?  ???
I...I...why? xD
You could've at least spared the rare species and put all the war dogs not guarding someone in some sort of emergency cage that can be opened once the defense is breached. And those chained guard dogs were chained there for a reason...to GUARD shit (mainly the small entrances that are vulnerable to ambushes).
Or you could've made a zoo. ;__;

Oh, well, I guess that's one of the big FUN-factors in succession games. xD
Otherwise it was a neat, fast round. I understand, that you wanted to get it out of the way fast with the other 2 games.

Also the artifacts are really great. Again, that adamantine mace may be the perfect weapon for our future captain of the guard, if we ever employ one. And we also seem to be in the need of a new chief medical dwarf...how did Mzbundifund die?

Edit: Okay, according to legends he got shot by some goblins. Bad luck I guess.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2010, 06:46:05 am »

Mmm... Leopard brain cookies.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2010, 11:42:17 am »

Artifact or not, adamantium makes terrible blunt weapons, since it is so light.

Thanks for killing Mzbundifund.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2010, 11:44:25 am »

Artifact or not, adamantium makes terrible blunt weapons, since it is so light.
That's why it's so perfect for hammering dwarves who didn't make hydra soap for demanding nobles.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2010, 07:33:46 pm »

So its my turn now...

...hehehehe, hahahahhaa, AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway, updating later tonight.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

As a side note, I think I'll book a turn too. I have plans for Bellwaxed...

(Cue dramatic choir)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2010, 08:19:45 am »

I sadly need to drop out.
Skip me.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:19 pm »

Bummer.  Alright, LilGunmanX, you're up. 

Baron Baconeer, you're added to the list.  I hope these plans of yours live up to that suspiciously dramatic choir.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2010, 05:08:56 pm »

Can you add me to the list again?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2010, 06:29:14 pm »

Sure thing.  It hasn't been that long so I'll place you after LilGunmanX.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2010, 06:58:57 am »

My turn, already!? Oh man, I can't wait to start!

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, my *masterwork* might be a few days in the making, but consider me confirmed!

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2010, 07:47:08 pm »

Awesome
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19