Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39551 times)

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2010, 10:53:14 am »

Awesome job. The adamantine sutures are the stuff of legend.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:56:39 am by DuckThatQuacks »

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2010, 03:23:50 pm »

I've seen adamantine sutures once. Obviously, they were for fixing the liver, as it is most important part of the dwarven metabolism.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »

I've seen adamantine sutures once. Obviously, they were for fixing the liver, as it is most important part of the dwarven metabolism.
It wasn't the first time this happened in Bellwaxed. There was also a dwarf who got his false rip sutured with adamantine. It was before my turn, though. And there are at least 6 more adamantine strands stored in the hospital, so it won't be the last time.

BTW: I just noticed that fivex is my lover ingame. I smell a conspiracy going on about the leadership of Bellwaxed being given to another for hot dwarven sex.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »

Well done!  Bellwaxed is truly in its golden age.

I would not have guessed this was your first succession game, you certainly had no trouble managing an unfamiliar fort.  Our position looks more secure than ever now, between the mechanized spike field, Duck's shooting gallery, our adamantine military, the shooting towers, and the spike pit, we have a balanced multi-layered defense.  Of course only our soldiers protects Bellwaxed from the Deep Threat.

I also noticed the military arbitrarily deciding not to wear all the armor assigned to them.  Gauntlets in particular seem likely to be abandoned.  I'm not sure why, they're set to wear their armor all the time, even off duty.  I've noticed this in my forts as well, so I guess this is a bug?

EDIT:  Also, good job on having lots of pictures.  A succession game without pictures is simply not as interesting.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:47:13 pm by Mzbundifund »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2010, 06:16:30 pm »

Log of the overeer Fivex:

Granite, 527
After the past overseers of Bellwaxed held a meeting on who would become  the next overseer, they chose me. I was ecstatic.
Not much really happened at first, I was mainly focussed on that jewler's artifact.
I then noticed that A. We are still using catapults and B. We are running low on adamantine. I order these fixed. I can help with fixing the second problem.
Soon after noticing this, some migrants arrive.
I order the mapping(and then mining) of a adamantine vein and the constructions of ballistae in the place of the catapults.
Afterwards, the jewler made a gold beryl throne. Which has a lot of gems on it, via my attempts to influence him. According to our broker, it is worth 994800.
Slate
Nothing really of note happened this month.
Felsite
a party happened Soon after the month began. I didn't attend because I was too busy digging.
My and some other miners mined all the immanently accessible adamantine that we didn't think digging out would lead to us breaching hell. Soon after this happened the elves came.

We seized everything they had
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:01:16 pm by fivex »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »

Hematite
Not much happened this month. We constructed a room for training siege operators.
Malachite

If this place is hot/schorching like I think it is, we could just expose this to the surface and it will melt
Later, duckthatquacks requested that a ballista arrow be built so that she could try out firing a ballista. I had a adamantine ballsta arrow be forged. She has a TERRIBLE aim. Of the 3 times she fired it, the arrow wasn't even shot remotely close to the target I had set up for her that was directly in front of the only ballista we had. Luckily, it fell to the ground when it hit the edge of the fortress area for some reason.
Soon after, I had walls constructed around the bridge thing. For some reason part of the wall caved in and nearly killed 3 people.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:12:52 pm by fivex »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:10 pm »

Galena
While constucting the walls, a woodworker noticed a group of people in the distance, rushing at us. Very soon, it appeared they they were goblins. He reported it to me.
We ordered everyone inside.
They only sent one squad, which was easily dispatched
Not much else really happens until...
Sandstone
A woodcraafter was possessed! He made a glumprong toy axe. I'm not going to even bother with its description because this thing sucks. It is worth 4800
Much later...

Timber
A dwarven caravan arrived. Trade happened. Apaprently annoyed by this, the goblins ambushed us.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:41:10 am by fivex »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:34 pm »

Later, duckthatquacks requested that a ballista arrow be built so that she could try out firing a ballista. I had a adamantine ballsta arrow be forged. She has a TERRIBLE aim. Of the 3 times she fired it, the arrow wasn't even shot remotely close to the target I had set up for her that was directly in front of the only ballista we had. Luckily, it fell to the ground when it hit the edge of the fortress area for some reason.

Actually, that was Duck shooting mosquitos out of the sky.  It may have looked like she missed her target, but that's only because such an easy task is far beneath such an exemplary dwarf.

Anyway, here is a picture of a darkling beetle.  That's the second insect DF has taught me exists.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2010, 04:59:52 pm »

According to the wiki, improvements in accuracy will require a higher-quality siege weapon. In other words, I need more funding.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »

Hm. Don't beetles have wings? So, our FB here has, what, four wings now?
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2010, 11:06:09 pm »

According to the wiki, improvements in accuracy will require a higher-quality siege weapon. In other words, I need more funding.

To the tune of dozens if not hundreds of logs spent in order to get a dwarf skilled enough to produce 3 quality *catapult parts*.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2010, 11:43:09 pm »

Opal:
After the caravan left in moonstone and a guard stood around for the rest of the month before  leaving, the liasion met with the mayor and congratulating him on figuring out the puzzle to get a baron by walling himself into his room and waiting until the caravan left to unwall himself. To that he replied "So that asshole who locked me in while did it so that there could be a baron... whatever." And then he talked with the liasion about who shoud become a baron. At some point they almost decde to make the guy who's first name is baron the baron, but they decided against it if he becomes a duke/count the joke won't work. So they made the founder, sethis, the baron. They then went on with normal diplomatic things
Obsidian
A armorer started acted oddly, then went and started drawing things in a metalsmiths forge...
Granite
My turn is over. The next overseer will have to see what the artifact is.
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=3375&f=Bellwaxed.7z
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:46:09 am by fivex »

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2010, 06:30:14 am »

D'aww. Being Count Baron Baconeer would've been epic. And confusing.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »

gonna take me a little bit to get the lay of the land properly and see what all is going on at the moment, but i'll be started in a bit now, plenty of free time and the only other things i have to do is read about expert irl trolling and such for a while.

Edit: btw, do we need to be training siege operators for something, or are the catapults just for moving stone somewhere? I can make a way more efficient "Range" for them if we're training them for defenses or something.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:41:47 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2010, 05:45:54 pm »

Edit: btw, do we need to be training siege operators for something, or are the catapults just for moving stone somewhere? I can make a way more efficient "Range" for them if we're training them for defenses or something.

We only have one siege operator and he's legendary, so we really have no need to train him.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19