Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39511 times)

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 10:31:20 am »

I agree with Seth, I cant wait to see what will happen, and also, love the screen shots, esp the ones with all the gore, Ogres sure do hit hard, don't they  ;).

*edit* Oh, and its great we have a hospital now, I was wondering when you would make one, what with all the potential wounded, be sure to keep lots of splints and plaster, to me crutches don't matter as much as them two.

Also, speaking of Ogres, their name is perfect for the purpose of dispensing gorey death....Think about it...Ogre.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:16:53 am by Flyingdwarf »
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »

Seth is the one who made the Hospital, I only added the well and the tables for surgery...or should I say i will add them. Last night my computer crashed, I'm back at 23rd granite.

I'm going to edit my posts because of the new reality.

EDIT, Im going to continue down here
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:26:19 pm by xczxc »

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »

Journal of xczxc, an ordinary peasant
1st Felsite, 523

Today, I woke up in the dinning room...I have a terrible hangover, diary. You know how it is, in the middle of the party of your newborn child, someone starts passing the gnomeblight hallucinogens, you consume a little bit. Colours...
I had a weird dream, a lucid dream about Bellwaxed, like a vision into the future...I don't know if it was true but Thob says I should take precautions anyway, All I know is that I need to build a well and pay a visit to my old friend Tekkud

11th Felsite, 523

I saw a dwarf that I hadn't seen in months. The last time we saw Tekkud Ablelusan, he told everyone excitedly that he was going to create a magnificent object, he then proceeded to get some supplies and head to the barely transited Trade Depot and craftdwarf workshop.

Almost unrecognizable now, Tekkud had all the symptoms of depresion, I believe he failed at making his artifact.

We all fear for his life, he is a good friend.

Some coffins are now ready to host bodies. I know it's meager, but with all the stuff that has been happening lately, nobody gives a damn

The well is up and functional! No more risking oneself at the surface, fresh water here.

Looking at all the halls, I reminded myself to clean up this fort the next year...

We also started a tiny metal industry...we are going to make some iron weapons, maybe steel ones.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:13:43 pm by xczxc »

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:32 pm »

Coffins, cant have to many of them, and steel armor sounds good right about now....

*edit* Hey Seth, I was wondering, did you tunnel down into the cavern right at the beginning, or was that near the end of spring?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:29:22 pm by Flyingdwarf »
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 04:25:42 pm »

Alas, Tekkud is doomed no matter what the reality  :)

*edit*
Hey Seth, I was wondering, did you tunnel down into the cavern right at the beginning, or was that near the end of spring?

I hit the cavern sometime in Felsite, I think.  In personal forts I usually go there straight away for farming and fun, but here I just drained a murky pool for the plots.  Speaking of which, it might be good to wall up the hole that was left behind.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 04:34:31 pm »

Ah, I see, in I'm guessing you didn't find much in the way of monsters to kill down there, did you?

*edit* Btw I've been playing a decently long game of DF, since I havent played since early 2010, and it seems that the goblins are much more fierce....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:38:58 pm by Flyingdwarf »

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 04:54:08 pm »

17th Felsite, 523

Apparently the elves didn't think we could turn this place into a proper fort: they only sent two guys...

We traded all of our crafts for ropes, wood (ironic) and cages for our traps.

10th Hematite, 523

The first z-level of the entrance is finished.

I'm going to tell the mechanics to hurry up.

On the upper levels I'm planning to build a danger room, shooting spots (for marksdwarves) and a place to build our siege machines. Any kind of threat will be disposed before you can say adamantine.

Also, my secret project is complete, diary.

If somehow our defences are breached, I have assigned a burrow in this inner room, there is a level in there. If it's pulled, it will collapse the support and seal the entrance, eliminating any type of danger. Now, we only have to bring supplies and picks...

Leaving the ogres at the start aside, the local wildlife has been very calm, right now there are a couple camels near the entrance.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:44:56 pm by xczxc »

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »

*edit* Btw I've been playing a decently long game of DF, since I havent played since early 2010, and it seems that the goblins are much more fierce....

Yes...a goblin squad can easily kill a full steel-clad military if those dwarves aren't trained (dabbling in all), luckily they give us enough time to train before coming.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:16:57 pm by xczxc »

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »

Too bad for me I didn't know how to make my military train properly until afterwards, when I looked on the wiki.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »

Journal of xczxc, an ordinary peasant

5th Malachite, 523

We are in the middle of the Summer and it's deadly hot...all the lakes have dried and the air is moist, there are a lot of bugs. I envy the dwarves who doesn't have to go to the surface to build.

The overall attitude is optimism: we have been doing very good lately. There is no sign of monsters, humans or goblins. Life is peaceful. One can almost forget that there is a war going on with brave dwarves getting slaughtered every day...one can almost forget...

15th Malachite, 523

For several weeks, Tekkud refused to drink or eat. Today he collapsed in the middle of the dinning room.

He was half naked. Two dwarves have died since we first arrived and one has been born. Tekkud wasn't exactly the social kind for he spent half a year hiding in a workshop, so very few people will miss him.

Argembarger is starving. Nobody wants to give him food and he is too weak to get some.

He has been near death more times than the rest of us together and he is still here, because of that, Zaik nicknamed him Argembarger "dead-dodger" Mebzuthnëlas. The dwarves are rumoring he is eaten plump helmet, specially with that mangled spine, and nobody wants to have a burden to care for. Perhaps that's why no one is feeding him.

26th Malachite, 523

The glorious Squad of the Godly Mechanisms has been disbanded and the Oily Gulfs has been created, featuring 4 full-time soldiers. We all have high expectations for this squad. Training has started.

2nd Galena, 523

Elephants have been spotted in the surroundings.

The Oily Gulfs are still too weak for any encounters so I ordered to raise the first bridge. We are sealed until further notice.

The linking of the upright spears at the danger room has begun.

6th Galena, 523

Argembarger received food and water today. He is starting to feel depressed. The doctors still haven't diagnosed him, but they think he will probably never walk again...poor dwarf.

10th Galena, 523

I have ordered to place several stone-fall traps thorough the whole fortress except on the way to the hospital (we don't want a dwarf passing out over a trap). If enemies enter the fortress or if someone goes berserk, we will be protected.

19th Galena, 523

A giant mole entered the fort. It was a nice time for the Oily Gulfs to shine.

One on the new recruits, Thob Lertethèrith, chopped the mole to little pieces all by himself.

Afterwards, he said he enjoyed it thoroughly.

20th Galena, 523

Atís Idenurvad, a novice surgeon, went to check how her patient was doing and found Argembarger trying to choke himself with a piece of camel meat someone gave him before.

He cried, telling her how he has heard everyone talking that he is a pest and that he won't walk again. He forced her to tell him that that was a lie, that everyone still loved him, that he would walk...Argembarger then tried to leave the bed, fell down to the floor and he started crawling with tears on his face.

Going to my room I encountered two dwarves talking about how they all expected that to happen and I could not help thinking that they were right. However, he is one of the starting seven and was a very popular guy, back there, in his golden days.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:04:55 pm by xczxc »

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:46 pm »

Nuuu...Argembarger, if only we had some experienced doctors in the fortress, then he may not have to suffer this fate..Alas doctoring isn't a sought after profession in dorfdom.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 07:40:38 pm »

Argembarger is one of those guys the RNG hates
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:16:34 pm by xczxc »

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

Lol, hope we don't lose any more dorfs for the rest of the year,  maimed, but not lost....

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »

Yes...a goblin squad can easily kill a full steel-clad military if those dwarves aren't trained, luckily they give us enough time to train before coming.
Huh, in my experience Steel-clad dwarves are usually almost invincible unless the enemy lands a lucky hit at the throat or uses heavy blunt weapons. But then again, I always make sure to have a well trained military on the field and training mostly works fine by now...

Neat idea with the entrance, I was thinking about a similiar design. :D
Poor Argembarger, being a cripple in such a proud militaristic fortress must have been too much for him. Did you assign a doctor as the "Chief medical dwarf"-noble? Afaik only those will diagnose patients.

I really like the updates so far. They maintain a good balance between game description, screenshots and storytelling.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »

Lol, hope we don't lose any more dorfs for the rest of the year,  maimed, but not lost....

Don't worry, I, xczxc, head of security, don't leave dwarves behind. Except when I'm on break or drinking, or sleeping or eating or partying or... :D

The dwarves are rumoring he is eaten plump helmet, specially with that mangled spine

The dwarves summarized it pretty well...he wasn't meant to live...we did all we could. I had to fucking create a feeder to save him and he got melancholic... fucking jesus! these dorfs drive me mad! but I must say Argembarger is epic, he fended off an ogre, he nearly starved twice, nearly dehydrated once  and he is crawling around the fort with a broken spine ...crying...but he's a badass. Like Kaguro in seth's turn. (Kaguro has now become a dwarven bureaucrat btw)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:58:55 pm by xczxc »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19