Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39504 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:29:48 am »

Unattributed Diary, Unsigned Entry

The Dwarves of the Ordered Hatchets have been at war with the vile humans for centuries.  The Empires of Yelling first attacked us in 135 when they conquered our beloved city Controltown, which has been oppressed by their ilk ever since.  Led by a fearsome brute in the shape of a lizard, they are a constant terror to us, and there is no end in sight to their bloody ways.

Our homeland is rotting, swathed in a grim shadow.  Political upheaval is at an all-time high.  A new Queen has just been crowned, a usurper of questionable parentage.  Word on the street is, the humans are planning to attack the capital sometime in the next few months.  Food is scarce and so is booze.

We are the last of her former Majesty's personal guard, and before she died she left specific instructions for us.  We are to journey into the Flighty Hills and establish a citadel capable of withstanding not only the treacherous humans, but the ravages of political strife as well.  Our home shall be a lantern of hope to be seen across all the Legendary Dimension.

The ruins of an old fortress can be seen in the distance by the foot of the mountain.  May we have more of luck's blessing than they.  Here we are, at the site of what will one day be the greatest fortress known to dwarfkind.  Strike the earth, and let us build the future here, at BELLWAXED!

...Where you can always hear the ogre howling...

Our embark site, located in the Flighty Hills, is a known haven for an assortment of novel creatures, such as ogres, harpies, werewolves, and also the occasional giant scorpion.  We're at war with both the humans and the goblins.  We will make them pay.

Due to the military nature of the expedition, each of the starting seven should possess some fighting skill.  The presence of monstrous creatures roaming the Flighty Hills should be considered a fortunate blessing of the landscape and a natural defense, so long as we build walls quickly enough.

World genned in 31.16, no mods, turns for 1 game year.  Sign up today!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:15:30 pm by SethCreiyd »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:30:13 am »

Order of Play

Turn 1:  SethCreiyd      1 2 3 4
Turn 2:  xczxc          1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Turn 3:  Argembarger     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Turn 4:  Mzbundifund     1 2 3 4 5 6
Turn 5:  Flyingdwarf
Turn 6:  Felcis          1 2 3 4 5
Turn 7:  fivex          1 2 3 4
Turn 8:  Zaik          1
Turn 9:  LilGunmanX
Turn 10:  cappstv          
Turn 11:  DuckThatQuacks           1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Turn 12:  MrNuke         
Turn 13:  Baron Baconeer         
Turn 14:  mcguinty          1
Turn 15:  Glacial        1 2
Turn 16:  Terrahex
Turn 17:  DorvenEngineering
Turn 18:  Baron Baconeer     1 2
Turn 19: mcguinty
Turn 20: Felcis
Turn 21: Dariush
Turn 22:
Turn 23:
Most Recent Save

Map of Bellwaxed, Granite 526
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:58:13 pm by SethCreiyd »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:55 am »

May I be dwarfed but not take a turn? If so I would like Kadol, as a hammerman/weaponsmith combo.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:00 pm »

This one looks cool, sign me up!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »

Sign me up for a turn as well.

I'll claim As; I don't care what profession you decide to give him.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:53:45 pm »

I'll take a turn.  Dwarf me as Deduk, adequate swordsdwarf and otherwise mason/architect.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

Okay, dwarves have been assigned and turns have been updated.  I've started playing and should have an update later tonight.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:22 pm »

Ill take turn five, also are we going to use graphics, or is it up to the player?

*EDIT* Btw do we need to pick a dwarf now, or can we do so on our turn?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:23:54 pm by Flyingdwarf »
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »

I would also love to take a turn. This fortress looks really interesting. I never had war with humans before. :D

I would also pick one of the remaining dwarfes. A Marks- or Speardwarf if possible, but anything else would do too.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:58:01 am »

Welcome aboard, you're both listed.  I've never had war with humans either, it should be fun.  Anyone know when we should expect the attack?

Ill take turn five, also are we going to use graphics, or is it up to the player?

*EDIT* Btw do we need to pick a dwarf now, or can we do so on our turn?

It's fine to wait.  Graphics are up to each player, but if you use them, please replace the raws at the end of your term to give the next player a clean slate.

Journal of Sethis Wheeltheaters, Commandant of Fort Bellwaxed

Felsite 28

In the name of her former Majesty, Who Waxes the Bells, today begins a brighter tomorrow.

At least we made it here alive.  All has been quiet so far, but one can hear the baying of ogres from far off across the hills.   Today is the 1st of Granite, and so we stopped our wagon in honor of tradition.   The seven of us find ourselves in a fruitful vale not far from last night's campsite.  The surrounding view is marvelous.  The flies are annoying, but the expanse of trees about us gives us shelter from the blazing sun.  One can almost see why elves so love the woods.

We watched a herd of elephants walk by our camp, keeping their eyes averted from us.  We stared them down.  No dwarf has ever forgotten the treachery of elephants.  They left us in peace, fortunately.  We haven't the time to deal with them.  It will soon be be sunset, but we still have time to dig out a small shelter before darkness falls and the ogres come.

I was wrong!

Holy stones was I wrong

Turns out these ogres don't mind the sun, and all elephants are bastards.  We put the monsters down.  Actually, General Kaguro put the monsters down by himself.  A harpy flew off with his favorite hammer so he's been "forced" to use an axe, but to be honest he doesn't appear all that upset.  I've never seen him in action before today, but I admit he deserve his rank and reputation; the rest of us can't even keep up with him.

Due to the low-lying nature of our site, we've breached the caverns earlier than anticipated.  I've warned the miners to be careful.  General Kaguro is eager to test his might against the beasts of the underworld, but we agreed it can wait.

By Spring's end we managed to complete the stair to the cave and a crude dormitory, as well as a few rudimentary workshops, but there isn't much else to report, except for the group of lionesses that attacked the fort this morning.

The General is a brute!  I swear he bit off one of the lionesses' ears before he killed it.  His beard is all bloody.  I'll sleep better knowing I'm on his side, if I can sleep at all with all those damned ogres yodeling.

A toast, to Summ-- WHAT

WHO THE HELL

(The rest of the page, partially torn, is covered with indecipherable scribbling, as though the quill had run dry and, instead of being re-inked, was dragged violently across the parchment by a moderately angry hand.)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

I'll take dasty and a turn

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 03:25:06 am »

Spoiler: Terrain Map (click to show/hide)

Summer

Today Mzbundifund was caught outside without a weapon, when a harpy figured he'd make for a sutiable lunch.  This might have something to do with his grossly excessive consumption of our alcohol stockpiles, or it might not.

When the harpy leapt at him, he grabbed it by the throat and threw it on the ground, trying to strangle the life out of it.  The creature flailed at him with it's talons, but ol' Fundi broke its neck before it could draw any blood.  He said it felt good to kill something.

Fundi took quite a few bruises during the struggle, but is no worse for wear, I wager.  Good thing, too, since he's the only one of us with any medicinal skill.

He tells me he has a collapsed lung and what may be a ruptured spleen.  I have no idea what any of this means but it doesn't sound too serious, so I told him to take his post when he's finished coughing up blood.

I later discovered, to my unpleasant surprise, that he and the Chaplain have started fornicating in the public dormitory.  My disgust is tempered by concern for Inod.  I've known her a long time.  Wonderful lass, lips like roses, makes important decisions in the manner of a drunken cow.  They won't last long.

Regardless, it's now clear that private quarters are a top priority.

Especially now that Felcis and the Sergeant are dating.  That leaves three of us sexless.  Blast it all.

Captain Kulalnish arrived today with two soldiers and a Yeoman.  We certainly appreciated the extra hands.  With their help, we managed to complete the trade depot in anticipation of next month's caravan.

When finished, our home will be the most outstanding military base this side of the ocean.   It is here we will train and rebuild our army.  We are the last hope of our nation, and if we fall, which of our neighbors will be next?  It's my job to see to it we're ready for the humans when they come, whenever they do.  And when they do, we'll make them rue the day they first heard the name of Bellwaxed.

Summer has passed, not that you'd know from the temperature.  No sign of the the bastard humans yet, but I still don't leave the fort without my sword.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:36:40 am by SethCreiyd »

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:36:54 am »

Uh...I thought I applied to be fifth >.> Also I was asking about the graphics since I never use them myself.

*Edit* I don't think the humans will come until a certain threshold, like goblins, I could be wrong, so dont be lax, in case of an ambush by them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:22:58 am by Flyingdwarf »
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 11:45:39 am »

Fantastic writing, it's psyching me up nicely for when it's my turn  8)
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:59:09 am »

Yeah I know what you mean, though I wish my current fort had more elves to slaughter...They are so fun when they try to trade, but instead get a face full of spears.

*edit* Also on a side note, what the heck am I to do with a artifact wooden bucket...lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19