Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39509 times)

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:43 pm »

Things I've done:
-Constructed a 2 z-levels entrance which includes barracks, bait animal, traps, danger room, and marksdwarf tower.
-Built and emergency refugee which will seal the fort in case foes are out of control.
-Formed a badass militia that features legendary hammerdwarves, legendary fighters, legendary armour users, and so on.
-Forged bronze and iron weapons and armour.
-Added traction benches and soap to the hospital.
-Dug an aqueduct to bring water down to the hospital.
-Carve a mausoleum with a bronze sarcophagus that isn't assigned yet.

Things I failed to do:

-Set up a nice, clean and effective area for workshops and stockpiles
-Start clothesmaking and leatherworking industry (although we have a lot of leather and cloth in bins that we got from the traders)
-Dig down to the magma sea (I not even tried that)
-Designate a room for each dwarf.
-Build a jail
-Dig noble rooms
-Not allow dwarves to die in the Hospital

Notes for future overseers:
-The fort is very messy right now, a proper workshop and stockpile area is needed.
-All the levers are labelled with a note.
-Our military rocks but only consists of 4 dwarves
-They don't have a full armour, gauntlets and boots are still missing for all of them and other elements for some.
-The burrow to use the refugee is called abandon the fortress, to seal it just pull the lever. It would be wise to get a pick inside it.

Here's the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3269

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:23:04 pm by xczxc »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 11:07:02 pm »

Awesome, I'm good to go for this, though I must confess I will probably not work on it tomorrow as I will be busy...

Also it appears I have some interesting storytelling obstacles to overcome, being dead. I'll try to come up with something interesting, I hope it's up to par with the excellent standard of writing quality that has been set already.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 04:43:46 pm »

Im still wondering if we will ever get a decent medical force...That will save lives that would probably have died without help...
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:32 pm »

Can I ruin this fort too?
Please add me to the turn list. Please.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 08:47:09 pm »

^ so long as "ruin" means "paint with the blood of our enemies," be my guest.  :)

Thanks for playing, xczxc.  Your hard work and attention to detail has been most appreciated.  It seems we might actually survive the first human attack!

Seems we'll have some time, though:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, hats off to our former overseer.  Let's see what you can do, Argembarger.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2010, 09:38:16 am »

Hope you guys don't mind the unusual narration coming up; I want to take this in a different direction than the default ghost-possessed overseer.

I should have an update or two up by tonight.
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »

Death isn't so bad. Death by starvation is worse than many types, but still, the worst part is the dying. Once you've gotten past that, it's pretty smooth sailing. No pain, no worries, and a pervasive feeling of calm serenity, not unlike the feeling you get from downing a tankard of masterfully brewed Dwarven Beer and some spotted wobbegong, fresh from the kitchen after a hard day of work.

I can't remember how I got here, but here I am. I remember dying, and I remember the moment that my consciousness slipped away, but I don't remember anything between here and there.

When I first arrived, it was quite dull, actually. Just a void of light. I floated absentmindedly, recalling the better moments in my life. Like the time I killed that elephant. That was great; a real high point. Getting paralyzed by an ogre, that wasn't so great. Having a gaggle of chalkbrained newcomers whisper about your condition behind your back and ingratefully complain about the burden you have suddenly become, that was even worse. I'd have liked to see one of these blasted Potash makers or Jewelers fight that ogre, see who's the burden then. If it wasn't for the kind words of my true kinsdwarves, I probably would have ended it way sooner than I did. Why should I have continued eating? The gem cutter can have extra now, the hooplehead.

Anyway, after a month or two of this kind of contemplation, ripples started forming in the void. After awhile, I could feel a presence manifesting itself. It seemed powerful, but benevolent. I felt no fear. The nothingness at the center of all of this started to coalesce into the shape of what looked to be, strangely enough, like a large frog, or a toad.

This Great Toad sized me up for quite some time before finally greeting me.

"Hello, Argembarger," he said, "That Ogre sure did a number on you, didn't it?"

-------------------------------------------

The Great Toad God explained many things to me, and I understood the extent of his role in our world and the lives of everyone within it. He is the Creator, who brought logic and order to every particle of Creation.

The Toad sensed my lingering regrets at my premature death, and made me a fantastic offer. He told me he could offer me one whole year to give supernatural aid to Bellwaxed, using his mighty Tools. I eagerly agreed, glad to know I would have a chance at redemption, even if only I would know anything about it.

The Toad led me on a confusing path through the gaps and folds of the void between worlds. After what seemed like an aeon, we finally arrived at our destination: A small room with strange, painted paper covering the walls, and the fur of what must have been a very large beast on the ground. Magical torches filled this holy place with light, and in the center of the far wall stood a box of strange, Godly material, glowing with eldritch lights behind a sheet of the clearest glass I've ever seen. To the side of this box was another, this one making a low humming noise. Small, flexible axles and gear assemblies connected this smaller box to the glowing one. In front of the glowing one was a slab of extremely light god-substance, covered in many small tablets with different letters and strange glyphs marking them.

The Toad told me that this was the tool with which I would guide Bellwaxed. I was speechless, trying to take this all in and understand it. The Toad saw my confusion, and started to show me the workings of the Holy Machine.

He told me it was something like the Great Dwarven "Computer", but I've never heard of that before. It astounds me that even dwarves, with our advanced knowledge of mechanics and engineering, could construct anything like this.

-------------------------------------------------

After showing me the basics, the Toad made the "computer" show a "window" to what he called "Dwarf Fortress", a "program" He then told me he was "loading" Bellwaxed. I stared in wonder as I was treated to... a very strange rendition of my beloved Bellwaxed. I expected to actually see Bellwaxed, but the Toad told me that "Dwarf Fortress" could only handle two Ds at a time and that everything was rendered in "Askee". Nevertheless, he showed me how everything was represented and how to work the "program".

It... took me a very, very long time to figure everything out. But I did! Through lots of very careful experimentation. Unfortunately, when I was messing around with the "cursor", I think I may have accidently hurt Kaguro... I felt really bad, if it's any consolation, and I felt a lot better when I saw him recovering in the hospital.

But like I said, after a long time of practice, I finally learned how to run a fortress like Bellwaxed from this strange God-machine. When it was the first of Granite, 524 in Bellwaxed, the Toad appeared again, telling me it was time to begin.

I can't wait. Bellwaxed will know glory, I will make sure of this! Neither I or any other Dwarf who has ever died for Bellwaxed will have died in vain!
I can see it now.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »

Lol...That is different, totally wasn't expecting that that, I thought it would have been more like an undead type of thing...and the giant toad, I'm guessing that is a reference to Toady...Of course it is...Though how will this change story telling of the fort I wonder...
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2010, 09:23:05 pm »

1st Granite

Ah, good old Bellwaxed. I have such fond memories. The streaks of blood, the piles of corpses outside, it's all still here, how delightful. This place looks just like I remem-

uh, what's that? ... Catten Mezumtulon's skeleton... Retracted +fungiwood training spear+... A spattering of dog blood.

That's a dead dog. The danger room is aptly named.

I forgot just how confusing the layout of Bellwaxed was. Must be due to my long stint in the hospital before I died. Oh well, I think one of the things we need is a little more order.

Why hello there, fuckers. Welcome to Bellwaxed, I wouldn't get too comfy if I were you.

---------------------------

2nd Granite

I ordered a bunch of these idling slackers to do some hauling work, clearing out stones from the stockpiles and piling them up in corners, out of the way.

Also, I noticed the farms are producing nothing but Dimple Cups and Plump Helmets. I remember the diet in Bellwaxed, it was not ideal. This situation shall be remedied.

3rd Granite

Doing some overhaul of our stockpiles, especially the food. Ideally, raw food, booze, seeds and prepared food will all get their own areas, for optimum organization. Right now it's just kind of a mess.

7th Granite

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

12th Granite

Oh, hey, another cavern underneath the first one? That seems unusual, but hey, more underground trees! We need the woo-

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!! :o!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!! :o :o!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!! :o!! :o!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's pretty neat I guess.

Do mine eyes decieve me? This is surely a boon from the Great Toad! This marks a massive tide of fortunes for Bellwaxed! I have never heard of this amazing substance being so close to the surface, let alone two veins so close together!

Those Ogres are well and truly fucked now, I think. As well as the harpies, and humans, and goblins, and anything that ever makes the fatal mistake of attacking Bellwaxed.

--------------------------------

17th Granite

I've started mining a promising layer for lignite and coal. I don't think it's viable to dig to the warm core of the world for magma anytime soon, and Bellwaxed needs to, ahem, start making some weapons and armor. So regular furnaces, smelters and forges will have to do.

---------------------------------

21st Granite

Fivex has decided to take a nap near the fabled magical metal. Honestly, I probably would too, exce-

Huh. I bet someone will blame me for that, too. Superstitious buggers, there's no such thing as ghosts.

----------------------------------

23rd Granite

Atir's begun making something; I wonder what it could be.

In other news, Fivex and the other miner have decided to take a weeklong mining break. This is less than awesome.

----------------------------------

27th Granite

I'm amazed at every turn of the subtle details this "program" gives me. I probably wouldn't have noticed all of that had I actually been there, looking at the blasted thing.

What a month. The fabled blue metal... wow... Big things shall be happening for Bellwaxed, now.
I can see it now.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2010, 10:17:20 pm »

The Toad led me on a confusing path through the gaps and folds of the void between worlds. After what seemed like an aeon, we finally arrived at our destination: A small room with strange, painted paper covering the walls, and the fur of what must have been a very large beast on the ground. Magical torches filled this holy place with light, and in the center of the far wall stood a box of strange, Godly material, glowing with eldritch lights behind a sheet of the clearest glass I've ever seen. To the side of this box was another, this one making a low humming noise. Small, flexible axles and gear assemblies connected this smaller box to the glowing one. In front of the glowing one was a slab of extremely light god-substance, covered in many small tablets with different letters and strange glyphs marking them.
Epic. The super advanced computer (for a dwarf) and stuff reminded me of Asimov..

On the other hand, ZOMFG FUCKING ADAMANTINE!

Bellwaxed shall never fall. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:22:05 pm by xczxc »

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »

Omg...I didnt think we would run into Adamantine so soon...I wonder if we will be prepared for the horrors of the deep?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2010, 07:16:30 pm »

9th Slate

These are seriously some lazy dwarves. No wonder I got ignored in the hospital. Lazy, lazy assholes. No respect for the fine, disciplined military heritage of Bellwaxed. All they want to do is organize parties at some mudstone table. Gah. I can't even get a simple mining order completed! Unless it involves the adamantine; they hop right to that shit.

...a nasty thought; what if the dwarves are aware of my intervention? The Toad told me quite clearly that my interaction with Bellwaxed in this "program" does nothing but manipulate the general will and desire of my comrades, and that such impulses will seem to them to spring from their own minds. But, the extent of their insubordination almost seems like... Could they know? And if so, what does that mean? Was my life like this, manipulated and directed by an unseen hand? I shudder at the thought...

---------------------

13th Slate

Well, I guess that was entirely my fault. I tried to be clever and keep the downward ramp method going as I dug downward, but it seems that the simplicity of this "program" has misled me as to the physics of the matter. The miners are trapped down near the adamantine cavern, because they can't actually use my poorly-planned path. At least, this is my theory, as they are starting to starve to death and still refuse to move. I marked out a more standard stairwell; I hope it solves the issue in time.

Nevertheless, I am relieved that it wasn't due to an existential crisis. The dwarves are none the wiser.

Who thought it was a good idea to block our access to the caverns, anyway? We need the wood in there! There isn't anything in the caverns to worry about. Not a crundle to be had. I don't understand the logic, so I'm going to order the caverns opened. With adamantine on our side, we need not fear any blind cave rats or frogs.

----------------------

16th Slate

Huzzah! The miners are free to eat and drink their fill. Now we can get the metalworking industry set up; I've heard myths and stories of the power of Adamantine, but seeing it with my own eyes, even through this limited-yet-limitless point of view, will be a treat worthy of a lifetime.

------------------------

20th Slate

Our Hammerlord, Urvad, has grown attached to his iron shield...

That's tragically hilarious, considering how soon we will have adamantine armor for everyone.

Oh well, I guess he can keep his shield; the full-body adamantine armor should protect as well as anything.

-------------------------

22nd Slate

Odd, the adamantine seems to be in the form of tiny, razor-sharp strands. I don't know what to make of this.

The Toad must have sensed me thinking such, as he appeared in the room and showed me another feature of the Computer.

He pulled up another "program" displaying a Magma Wickey, and told me to enter the glyphs for Adamantine in a little white box and hit 'Enter'.

I don't think the combined knowledge of all my Dwarven ancestors could ever hope to compete with this Magma Wickey! Apparantly I can order my comrades to make adamantine cloth as well as standard metal bars. It also advised against making warhammers out of the substance, I shall take this to heart. Also, according to the Magma Wickey, Adamantine is lots of "Fun". I don't know if I like that, the Dwarves of Bellwaxed already throw too many parties, I don't need them wasting time playing games with the fabled metal! A little bit down the Wickey, it told me to stop scrolling down else everything would be spoiled. That sounds terrible, so I think I shall listen to the Wickey. I don't want Bellwaxed to be spoiled, not when we are so close to glory!

Adamantine mining shall proceed with haste, though I should keep an eye on the dwarves to make sure they don't waste time having Fun.

-----------------------------

25th Slate

What in the... Fivex just died of thirst!!? I thought they resolved that problem! What the fuck! Am I that terrible of a Fortress Guider?? Or are these dwarves just so caught up in adamantine, they neglect their own needs?

This is a horrible tragedy. The original founders of Bellwaxed are dying off... There are only a couple of them left. I can only hope I am reunited with my brothers soon, wherever I am.

-------------------------------

26th Slate

There went xczxc.

FUCK!

--------------------------------

Uh. What.

"Dwarf Fortress has experienced a fatal error and must close"

OH MY GOD IT DISAPPEARED WHAT HAPPENED TO BELLWAXED

WHAT
WHAT THE FUCK

OH GOD

SOMEONE HELP ME

EVERYTHING IS GONE

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COMPUTER
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2010, 07:26:20 pm »

Out of character:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:36:35 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 07:50:53 am »

Omg fatal error...Sounds like fate to me lol.

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »

fate-al error?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19