Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)  (Read 39506 times)

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bellwaxed: Humans and Harpies (Succession Fort)
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »

Kaguro is a bureaucrat now, what is he, a manager or something?

*edit* In my book, a bureaucrat is a hammerer, he makes a mess everywhere, holding up production, and kills precious dorfs for a petty thing like a toy anvil or some such thing....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:59:42 pm by Flyingdwarf »
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:16 am »

Friends, comrades, remember me as I was.

Slightly hilarious fact: IRL I took a fall and bruised my lower back about the time of the spine-mangling Ogre update.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:27:40 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 06:11:15 pm »

Kaguro is a bureaucrat now, what is he, a manager or something?

*edit* In my book, a bureaucrat is a hammerer, he makes a mess everywhere, holding up production, and kills precious dorfs for a petty thing like a toy anvil or some such thing....

He's got his own office, he's the expedition leader and is almost all the time without a job, just hanging out in the dinning hall or at his office.

I hope nothing bad happens to xczxc, I don't want to suddenly see myself slipping and dying of a cave-in in my house
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:34:30 pm by xczxc »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 06:29:45 pm »

The voodoo doesn't seem to be equivalent; it'd be more like xczxc burns to death in magma as you burn your hand on the stove.

EDIT: I will of course try to not let that happen...
I can see it now.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 06:58:28 pm »

You're right, that's more like it. And I hope it's not the other way around too because today I twisted my left wrist, I don't want xczxc to loose a hand.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2010, 07:26:01 pm »

Journal of xczxc, an ordinary peasant

24th Galena, 523

Our Hospital now features a brand new traction bench, beautifully crafted, ready for wounded dwarves.

28th Galena, 523

12th Limestone, 523

The Oily Gulfs are training according to the plan, soon they will be able to use the danger room.

Although it needs more spears, we are currently having a wood shortage so those will do for now, linking is almost finished.

13th Limestone, 523

Sometimes I find myself thinking if I'm doing my job properly: I'm allowing the dwarves to chop wood at the caverns...it's not like we have another alternative, but something doesn't feel right...

14th Limestone, 523

The risk was worth it, we are slowing getting more wood...

I also had an argument with fivex and melbil about their mining ways

They said to me that I was overreacting and that it was nothing, in two weeks they will finish it, besides they were on break. I told them to take a walk down to the magma sea.

As a result, I'm glad (or partially glad) to announce I will personally join the mining team, to speed up the process, of course.

We have started using the danger room.

27th Limestone, 523

Argembarger hadn't been eating for days...his body could not handle so much suffering. He sat on the floor in the middle of the meeting hall and died quietly...with all the traffic he wasn't noticed until Olon Nilakman tried to wake him up for he had been lying there for too long.

Some say it was time, they were tired to look after him, others say he was a brave dwarf who took all the beating from the ogre and saved them from suffering the same fate. Me? I don't know what to think...all I know is that I don't want tantruming dwarves at my fort...I'll have him buried as fast as I can

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:05:35 pm by xczxc »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »

...my legendary dodger, axedwarf, armoruser (and few other skills) in full steel just got oneshotted by cute qualityless training wooden spear embedded in qualityless weapon trap. It shattered the brain.

In other news, oh no! My avatar died! I wonder what that bodes for me in real life.

Well, it is nearly bedtime. Sleeping ≈ Death.
░░░░▒▒▒░░░░▓▓▒
░╔══════════╗░
░║    ΩΩΩΩΩ   ║░
▒║   ΩΩ    ΩΩ  ║░
▒║  Ω √    ♫ Ω ║░
▒║   Ω   Θ    Ω  ║▒
░║   ΩÆ    ÆΩ  ║░
░║ ΩΩ☻☻☻ΩΩ║▒
░╚════┼┼════╝░
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:03:06 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 01:53:49 am »

I thought Argem would have gone out by drowning himself, if he could find any water that is.....
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:27 am »

Being crippled must have been unbearable for him.  I've seen dwarves ecstatic after sitting a decade in bed, but it seems the prouder ones would rather die than go on like that.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2010, 09:56:00 am »

Just so you know, I'm going out of town all weekend, starting Thursday, so if Argembarger gets/finishes his turn before Monday, then let Flyingdwarf take his turn and I'll take my turn once I get back.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2010, 01:48:07 pm »

Okay, well he can only get done by monday if he types quickly, but usualy I have learned that quality is by taking time to think it through, unless it is something crazy like feeding your hungry masses with kittens, or some such thing....

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »

Journal of xcxzc, an ordinary peasant

20th Limestone, 523

He claimed a metalsmith's forge and he's waiting for shiny metal bars. We ought to smelt some kind of bar, I hope he settles with silver.

6th Sandstone, 523

The local fauna now consists of a peaceful group of one-humped camels. The fortress is open again.

18th Sandstone, 523

Nope, Silver was no good. Lolor Luzaktel offered himself to smelt one of each kind of ore there is at the fort. If Rimtar doesn't start his secret job soon, I'm afraid he won't keep his sanity, like Tekkud, and we'll end without a metalsmith.

19th Sandstone, 523

The relative calmness of the last few moths has made the dwarves forget any kind of discipline, they are on break and insisting of throwing parties, trying to blatantly avoid any kind of work, commanded by the eternal procastinator Atîs Idenurvad.

24th Sandstone, 523

Rimtar has begun a mysterious construction. We are anxiously waiting for him to finish.

28th Sandstone, 523

It represents Inod Hallgrooved, the greatest dwarven king that ever lived, who took the kingdom and brought it to a new era of prosperity, the best century of the dwarven empire, the Adamantine era, as the Historians call it.

I must admit that observing how marvellously well-crafted it was took my breath away. It's amazing to see how fast Rimtar has made progress at metalcrafting, he is one gifted dwarf.

9th Timber, 523

Bronze production has started. Rimtar says he can make bronze weapons that will cut even through iron breastplates so he stopped wasting time and started working with the bronze bars.

15th Timber, 523

Dreadful news! The goblin and kobold confederation has discovered our fortress, today, a kobold thief was discovered by Thob Sibrekkeng at the First Bridge. Although the oily gulfs were sent to kill him, he managed to get away. We fear we'll see a goblin squad soon.

16th Timber, 523

A caravan from the mountainhomes arrived, we're expecting to get precious goods.

22nd Timber, 523

We traded our crafts for leather, cloth, drinks, meat, wood, ropes, weapons and armor.

1st Moonstone, 523

3rd Moonstone

Winter started with a terrible accident. Our beloved war hero, Kaguro, who was altruisticly helping the masons de-constructing a constructed floor, was a victim of his own inexperience as a mason: the official explanation is that while de-constructing a constructed floor a nearby wall also collapsed, which fell to the lower z-level, producing a huge cloud of dust.

After it had dissipated, Kadol ôsustandil went upstairs to see the damages and found Kaguro very injured.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As it seems, the Fortress is trying to claim another dwarf. But I won't let that, no during my watch. I have issued orders to take Kaguro to the Hospital.

The dwarves are scared. They are starting to believe that the Fort is cursed, given that the accident was inexplicable for he didn't fell to the ground (and no wall disappeared, but we prefer to keep that information away from the common dwarf). Some say Argembarger's soul is back, looking for revenge and have started to create potions against the bad spirits. A group of 4 dwarves, leaded by Edëm Sokanushat sacrificed a puppy as an offering to all the restless souls that may inhabit at Bellwaxed.

I'm trying to keep everyone away from superstitions but I must confess that even I myself am doubtful.

5th Moonstone, 523

I finally broke free from a cavern I had been trapped in, communicating only through a little hole...I'm on my way to have a great drink.

After intensive work from part of the Doctors, I was informed of Kaguro's diagosis

Although he has serious injuries, the doctors say that with time and treatment he will probably recuperate fully or partially.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:43:42 pm by xczxc »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 10:16:28 pm »

Is there soap?  It would be shameful for such a badass to die from infection.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 01:22:40 am »

Agreed, if there isnt any, there should be some made soon....also great job on writing Kaguros' accident...but why was he even helping with masonry... isnt he a full time soldier?

*Edit* By the way, don't forget to build a tomb for Kaguro, if you have time....that is if he is beyond saving.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:05:38 am by Flyingdwarf »

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 10:47:20 pm »

Journal of xczxc, Sheriff

17th Moonstone, 523

Having seen only peaceful animals on the surroundings, I thought it was time to lower the drawbridge, However, as we were doing that, the group of camels went to the north and 3 Blood-seeking ogres made their appearance.

As fivex and Lolor were having a picnic, they got ambushed by the Ogres and started to run.

The oily gulfs were sent to safe the dwarves, it was their first real combat.

fivex managed to get inside, but a brutal ogre decided lolor was his. A brave swordwarf went to save him.

He killed the ogre fairly quickly, but lolor ended severely wounded nonetheless

While all this was happening, Unib and Urvad, wrestler (with an axe) and hammerdwarf respectively, cut the way to the other two ogres.

They fought fiercely and, having learned from past ogre encounters, they didn't underestimated their opponents.

They were fighting amazingly, dodging with expertise and hitting cunningly. One of the ogres smashed Unib's right upper leg against a wall.

That only made Unib get angry and unleashed all his fury upon that Ogre, while Urvad was fighting with the last one.

Eventually, The remaining ogres were subjugated under the might of the Oily Gulfs, Bellwaxed's proud militia

23rd Moonstone, 523

Our Hospital is full of activity, the doctors are working hard to treat the patients. They told Sethis they'll need more traction benches.

2nd Opal, 523

Good news, treatment was a success for Unib Zuntîrkan, our ex-axedwarf and now elite wrestler. He's back in training.

5th Opal, 523

My all-dwarves-have-the-same-privileges policy received harsh criticism by the upper classes of the fort. They couldn't do much, thanks to Kaguro's implacable order and righteousness. But now that he's at the hospital, they have the road free. Rich dwarves started using their influences to control the fort. Corruption is widespread among the powerful. I couldn't do much, otherwise I would have exposed myself and I have a task to fulfil. As a consequence, Sethis was forced to quit his job as the manager and got replaced by felcis. New private mausoleums were ordered to be dug, which wasn't happily received by the proletariat. The masons went into strike but were forced to continue working at the entrance by the Oily Gulfs.

14th Opal, 523

The entrance was finished this morning. That allowed me to focus on the internal problems. I took the official position as the sheriff and managed to restore the order. Given the recent even, its primordial to protect Kaguro, I fear someone will try to kill him. I have the chief medical dwarf under 24-hour surveillance in case he is seen receiving a valuable object such as giant cave spider silk trousers to have a "surgery accident" with Kaguro.

27th Opal, 523

A new group of ogres were seen lurking near the fort. No immediate action was taken, we are sealed.

1st Obsidian, 523

Kaguro's condition is worsening each day that passes. The doctors are doing all they can. Soap was added to the Hospital stocks.

14th Obsidian, 523

Kaguro survived the numerous surgeries. Setting and dressing his wound has begun. Maybe he'll make it after all, he's not a quiter, it seems.

26th Obsidian, 523

Although the doctors have almost finished his treatment (they are finishing dressing), I fear he bleeds out before they end, he's loosing to much blood and nobody knows why.

1st Granite, 524

A new spring has arrived, a year ago this fortress was an insecure hole, now it is a proper fort. My job as an undercover security observer has ended. A new assignment awaits for me as the new Bellwaxed's Sheriff. There is still a lot to be done...

Kaguro is still fighting for his life. I can't help asking myself whether he'll survive.

I'm afraid hard times approach. With the discovering of the fort by the goblins and kobolds, war is knocking our front door...and we are going to prove that the dwarven race will not be wiped from this earth without offering a fierce struggle.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:11:55 pm by xczxc »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19