Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How to Bring Back Elven Diplomats in 0.31.13 (and later)  (Read 13797 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
How to Bring Back Elven Diplomats in 0.31.13 (and later)
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:23 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress 0.31.12, Elven diplomats incorrectly arrived with the caravan (as if they were a liaison), gave the Dwarven greeting, proposed a tree cutting quota, then departed with the Dwarven farewell message. When version 0.31.13 fixed this, it also completely eliminated tree cutting quotas from the game. I did an experiment with a fortress in 0.31.14 and I've found that it's possible to bring them back, complete with the behavior they were supposed to follow all along.

Edit raw/objects/entity_default.txt, locate the position definition for RANGER_CAPTAIN, then copy/paste the following code directly below it:

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:DIPLOMAT]
[NAME:Diplomat:Diplomats]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_INTRODUCTIONS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_PEACE_AGREEMENTS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
[APPOINTED_BY:DRUID]
[PRECEDENCE:70]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DUTY_BOUND]

Once your Baron(ess) is appointed, a Diplomat will silently arrive at the beginning of the next Spring, scold you for your tree cutting (or congratulate you for not cutting down any trees), then leave. Every year afterwards, an elven Diplomat will arrive about a week after the caravan shows up (or possibly during the next season if a siege showed up first) and propose a tree cutting quota, exactly like they did back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier. Even better, if the Diplomat manages to get killed, a new one will be appointed the following year (in fact, due to the "new liaison every year" bug, you'll get a new diplomat every year whether they live or die).

The exact same code (minus the "[APPOINTED_BY:DRUID]" line) can also be added to the Human entity raws (right after the WARRIOR definition) in order to make them send a regular Diplomat instead of their Law-giver (which might be a demon that emits deadly fumes) which should also be replaced each year (whereas the Law-giver's additional responsibilities seemingly makes it ineligible for automatic replacement).

Do note that these changes must be applied prior to world generation.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:48:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Bring Back Elven Diplomats in 0.31.13 (and later)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:33 am »

You want to bring more elves to our mountain homes? To scold us for cutting down a few worthless trees no less? You beardless heretic! Well unless you only want to to bring them there to kill them or make agreement simply to break them to piss the elves off faster. Or both. Then that's fine.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:48:00 am »

You want to bring more elves to our mountain homes? To scold us for cutting down a few worthless trees no less? You beardless heretic! Well unless you only want to to bring them there to kill them or make agreement simply to break them to piss the elves off faster. Or both. Then that's fine.

i wand them for one reason, and one reason only, CAGE TRAPS!!! seriously though, put a field of cage traps around the depot.... when they come you get free buttmunching treehugging elves to piss on from the ledge of a cliff :D

(buttmunching because they are cannibals, and cannibals use EVERY part of the body ;D)

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:01:49 am »

oh yah, how can i get an elves blood to boil the second i see them? cuz i wanna move in right next to some elven sprawl, and loot the entire damned place >:D

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:16:13 am »

oh yah, how can i get an elves blood to boil the second i see them? cuz i wanna move in right next to some elven sprawl, and loot the entire damned place >:D

Well do you mean literally or figuratively? If you mean literally you just need to change
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:24:35 am »

Well do you mean literally or figuratively? If you mean literally you just need to change
to

Muahahaha Thank you!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

(~) (E-cookie) for you!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:26:37 am by magistrate101 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:29 am »

Well unless you only want to to bring them there to kill them or make agreement simply to break them to piss the elves off faster. Or both. Then that's fine.

This is precisely one of the reasons to bring them back. Another would be for added challenge, in case you somehow don't want the Elves attacking you for cutting down too many trees.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:41:46 am by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:58 am »

What about trade agreements? I'm not an elf-hater, but don't love them enough to hand them a free deal. If they want to save trees, they'd better bring plenty of wood for cheap, and I can put my woodcutters' axes into the military instead.

Would adding ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENT responsibility break it?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:55:04 am by Dok Enkephalin »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:42 pm »

I doubt it, since then it would have to arrive at the same time as the caravan.

I actually tried creating a "guild representative" for the Humans that had the same responsibility as the Dwarven outpost liaison, but it didn't work - apparently, the logic for merchant nobility is completely broken in version 0.31 and Toady doesn't plan to fix it for a while.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »

The TRADE responsibility allows diplomats that take trade requests, in my experience.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 08:16:37 pm »

But I'd want them to bring me more for less to close this deal. If I demand it in a trade agreement, they'll try to mark up the value. It's still a piddling price, but I'd be getting cheated if I didn't simply seize the whole shipment of lumber. Let's see how they like that.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »

The TRADE responsibility allows diplomats that take trade requests, in my experience.

Are you absolutely certain about that (i.e. have you actually modded your raws in this exact manner and achieved the stated result)?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:30:51 pm »

Are you absolutely certain about that (i.e. have you actually modded your raws in this exact manner and achieved the stated result)?
I have. My trade lord(liaison) will ask if I want anything.
Dwarves haven't appeared, though. I'm a bit worried.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 02:03:27 pm »

Seems to work nicely:

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:GUILD_REPRESENTATIVE]
[NAME:Guild Representative:Guild Representatives]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[PRECEDENCE:40]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]

My current world was generated with the above Human position responsible for ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS instead of TRADE, but after editing the game's memory to change the responsibility, the human caravan indeed arrived with a Guild Representative who spoke to my Mayor (rather than the Broker) to establish a trade agreement (even with the greeting "On behalf of the Merchants' Guild, let me extend greetings to your people. There is much to discuss" and the closing "Again on behalf of the Merchants' Guild, let me bid farewell to you and your stout dwarves.")

I'm not sure how well it'll work when applied alone during worldgen, though, what with foreign units losing their positions when they leave the map - liaisons and diplomats get replaced properly, but the TRADE responsibility might not be enough to trigger it (case in point: the Law Giver doesn't get replaced).

Also, rather oddly, the Humans are offering "liquid" for sale at the end of the Extracts section (right after sea lamprey blood)...

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:45 pm »

Law givers are genned in worldgen, like monarchs and site leaders (and all those other characters that fortmode-exclusive players never crawl out of their holes to actually see and interact with.)

These merchants and liasons seem to be generated as needed, and though they might hang out in the world, another one will be asspulled at need for seasonal events.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4