Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Is it just me, or are there not many people who use avatars on this forum?  (Read 6479 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me, or are there not many people who use avatars on this forum?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 01:04:31 pm »

Evil clowns man. Evil clowns. Sometimes I pine for my Kefka avatar, but I've sort of grown accustomed to Buggy. I always grab an avatar almost immediately after joining a forum...I mean why the hell not?

Also, Duke will always be Clint Eastwood to me, and Toonyman always an excessively long troll gif.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 01:15:59 pm »

Evil clowns man. Evil clowns. Sometimes I pine for my Kefka avatar, but I've sort of grown accustomed to Buggy. I always grab an avatar almost immediately after joining a forum...I mean why the hell not?

Also, Duke will always be Clint Eastwood to me, and Toonyman always an excessively long troll gif.
I'll always be a flying brain, right?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »

I'm sure the occasional guy on dial-up appreciates the 1.15-meg avatar, for that matter. :P
You could just turn off avatars if it were giving you that much trouble :P.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 01:31:08 pm »

I just got myself an avatar today :3

I'm very pleased with it, too.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 01:32:54 pm »

Mine I made some time ago. I tried to include all the fads into it at once.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 01:34:40 pm »

I am not sure whether you succeeded or failed, but you failed.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 02:06:34 pm »

Seriously, how can I be Captain Hat, if I don't have a creepy picture of a guy in a military style hat?
I sure hope that's Jim Carrey because I can't picture anything else.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 02:16:39 pm »

I'm going to stick to my avatar forever.
Not only is it from amusing comic, but it also resembles a dwarf, even though it isn't one.

Also it helps to recognizing people, which can be quite ahrd without avatars.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:33 pm »

I love your avatar, I can use it as a reaction image against you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 03:11:36 pm »

I'm going to stick to my avatar forever.
Not only is it from amusing comic, but it also resembles a dwarf, even though it isn't one.

Also it helps to recognizing people, which can be quite ahrd without avatars.

I actually prefer to pick a neutral avatar and stick to it. I donīt like suddenly changing my avatar because I use it to track down my posts, though this avatar may be too neutral to make me recognizable (I think I can count the amount of times I've been mentioned by name in a thread on my fingers. Then again, I do know binary...)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 03:15:18 pm »

Only three fingers then.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 03:20:10 pm »

I just eventually decided to try my hand at art and make the avatar that had been floating around in my mind for a while after a few months of posting. Thus, it's very good it's so small, or you'd be able to see how sucky it is.

Still, I don't find it all that hard to make recognizations without an avatar. Most people have a fairly unique style of writing if you look for it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 03:29:02 pm »

metal- if you take the crosshairs off the slime the picture would be own

as for my avatar, i couldnt really think of anything else, and its iconic, to a point :\
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »

I love your avatar, I can use it as a reaction image against you.

Thank you.
I think the same, thus my personal text.

The pics source, if anyone cares:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 03:48:00 pm »

I've been around on Bay12 for some time, having registered a good while before the forum change.  As such, I was around when there were only about 20 or so active members (if that) and the absolutely hilarious forum software couldn't support avatars or sig images.

Then we switched over, and the new software presented picture-related capabilities.  Toady put it up to a vote as to whether we should keep going without images or utilize the new tools.  And then, for some reason, there was a massive fight.

I made my opinion clear then, and I'm not ashamed to say that I fought for a forum without avatars, and without sig images.  I simply did not see a need for them, and I found them quite annoying in a number of cases where I had experienced them in the past (except for the ones I myself used, which were of course only the highest quality of backyard Gmod snaps edited in MSpaint).

The vote, as I'm sure you all can figure out, tipped in favor of allowing images and we've never really gone back.  However, as a statement of my position on the matter I have refrained from picking up an avatar since.  I've seen a couple of the avatars picked by people I knew and interacted with from the old days, and I haven't seen one yet that made my opinion of them go up.

In my profile settings, I have both avatars and signature images turned off.  If I can't identify you from your writing style or your name, then I just don't know you and I'm not afraid to admit it.  I still maintain that trying to identify people based on a medium that changes very often and very wildly is quite silly when it's used against something that doesn't change at all and can always be used to point out the individual associated with it.  But that's besides the point.

So, yes.  I either know you, or I don't.  I expect to be treated the same way.  You either know me from my writing style, my opinions and my name, or you don't know me.  There are a hell of a lot more people registered with Bay12 now than there were before, so it would be downright ridiculous to even think you could be completely familiar with all of them.

On a completely different subject, the thing I find funny about that Euclid strip is that the perspective and object relations are completely wonky.  It looks like he's talking to a gnome on top of a brick wall.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6