Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about bolts and pissed off 'artists'  (Read 442 times)

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about bolts and pissed off 'artists'
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:35:23 pm »

Recently had some stupid monkeys make off with a couple of masterwork bone bolts that my hunter had fired.  The 'artist' in question is now tantruming randomly through my fortress, and I'm about to have to make the grandmaster bonecrafter pull the Noble Lever to stop this.

Any way to prevent this in the future?
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Question about bolts and pissed off 'artists'
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:09 pm »

1) dont keep your stuff where thieves can easily get to without detection
2) Employ more traps
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:47:13 pm »

Make sure your mayor has idle time and the unhappy dwarf will go bitch out the mayor for a while and get it out of their system (consoler or pacifier skill for the mayer also).  From what I understand the more masterwork items a given artisan will make, the less unhappy they'll be about having a masterwork lost.

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:56:09 pm »

Problem was, it was a bone BOLT.  As in "Those things my hunterdorf drags out into the ass-end of the wilderness to launch at random squirrels".  Sorta hard to track them down and unforbid all of them to prevent the damned monkeys from wandering in and taking them.
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:45 am »

you can set them to autoreclaim.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:11:29 am »

Yeah I hear you about bolts, and I'm pretty sure you get the same unhappiness if the bolt is destroyed just from being shot out of the crossbow.  Make lots of bolts is my suggestion.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:53:00 am »

A mist generator and a legendary bedroom will make Urist happy, no exceptions.  Some people make a legendary bedroom and assign it to dwarves that need more happy. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:13:28 am »

Some people make a legendary bedroom and assign it to dwarves that need more happy.

I call it "The Pleasure Room", but just cause it sounds dirty!
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:27:34 am »

Tried that.  Handed the guy an Opulent Throne Room and Grand Dining Room to himself (I have TONS of electrum and a legendary crafter for it).  He still went berserk and had to be put down :(

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:31:03 am »

Hm, you could restrict the material he uses as his ammo... but not the quality. But at least you can create an extra stockpile for masterwork bone bolts somewhere deep inside of your fortress. This might convince your hunter to take other stuff.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:17:27 am »

You could always just throw multiple bonecrafters at the problem. They'll skill up more slowly, and by the time they get high enough to crank out repeated masterworks, set them to decorating furniture with bone on repeat, or exportning massive amounts of bone greaves when the liaison offers 215% payment for legwear. Plus, every damn beer barrel in your fort will be lovingly adorned with an imagine of cowering elves, bifurcated goblins, terrifying buckets, or naked swamp giants, in elaborate goblin bone.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.