Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keybounce and Typematic Issues  (Read 432 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keybounce and Typematic Issues
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

The keyboard bounces [repeats characters typed only once], especially when moving the cursor underground to designate mining areas, and when typing in names the keyboard typematic repeat appears to be disabled, requiring repeated presses of the backspace key to erase the name instead of just holding down the key and letting it repeat.

The keyboard shouldn't repeat when you tap a key, but it should repeat when you hold a key down.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Tacroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keybounce and Typematic Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:19:00 am »

Uh... I've noticed something like this very rarely in game, and it honestly seems more like an artifact of DF taking a lot of horsepower than an actual bug - especially in the trade depot screen, where the game dynamically filters as you type from a list that includes every single stone you've mined out in the deepest recesses of your fortress.

For me it's especially bad when going up and down z-levels; I know my angle bracket keys aren't messed up, but I'll still change more than one z-level just from tapping a key.

This sort of thing should go away eventually, either from Toady optimizing DF or computers catching up with DF's awesomeness.

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:21:00 am »

As to the first issue, have you tried increasing the value of [KEY_HOLD_MS:] in the init.txt file? I had the same unwanted repeat keypresses occuring until I increased the value to around 180.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tacroy:
<STRONG>Uh... I've noticed something like this very rarely in game, and [...]</STRONG>
Not quite what he was getting at; in some screens you type in words, and holding backspace will only remove one letter, rather than first one, then repeatedly the following letters.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.