Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] artifact aluminum sword  (Read 1011 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
[38c] artifact aluminum sword
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

I didn't see any related bugs in the bug list or last few pages of this forum, so here goes.
I just had a moody weaponsmith create an artifact aluminum short sword. Since aluminum is not a metal which can be used to make weapons normally, this seems rather odd.
I wonder if the sword is still powerful due to being an artifact, or if the fact that the material normally can't be used for weapons makes it nearly useless (or entirely so)? Just curiosity, no big deal.

He's my second moody Weaponsmith dwarf to gain legendary skill from creating an artifact, but the other created a more standard iron axe.

I might possibly have a savegame from the time during the making of this artifact, but I'd have to check; I keep periodic saves roughly bi-monthly. I do have saves before and after the fact.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] artifact aluminum sword
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:40:00 am »

During moods, they ignore item material requirements. In the case of weapons and armor, they fall in the 50% category.

To compare, steel has 133% modifier, and mastercrafting a weapon gives it a x2 modifier, making it 266%. The artifact quality bonus is unknown, but it would have to be 5x or higher to be comparable to the steel mastercrafted weapon. It is still an excellent weapon, just not as good as one made out of a traditional weapon would have been.

Unless I too am confused somewhere.

Relevant info here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Quality
and here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Weapons

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ravendas:
<STRONG>During moods, they ignore item material requirements. In the case of weapons and armor, they fall in the 50% category.</STRONG>

I'm still having trouble visualizing the rope reed sword I got back in the 2d version though.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

I got a marble bed once.  Which, while easily visualized and really really nice, it is strange.

Sir Blue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Yeah, metals are all up for grabs it seems when it comes to smithing during a mood.  I have a gold gauntlet of which I am rather proud of.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

Yeah, its rather random. My mayor sleeps on an adamantine bed at night....

I think its more of a feature. Adds to the rarity of the artifact.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

It even seems to me that they grab the best one they can get. I had to lock my steel in so it won't be wasted on socks and the like  ;).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

In the old 2d version, this was the only way to get anything made out of zinc, since you couldn't smelt it into anything but brass.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

You can wrap that sword around some meat and put it in an oven to cook for around 30 minutes to get nice roast.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>You can wrap that sword around some meat and put it in an oven to cook for around 30 minutes to get nice roast.</STRONG>

Aluminum sword, not aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is very thin and you can bend it with your hands. Something with the thickness of, say, an airplane skin, would be a lot more difficult to fold around an elephant haunch.

Though it probably would bend quite easily if you got it stuck in an elf ribcage and tried to jump on it to pry it out.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

What kind of sword is it?  Is it an aluminum foil?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

Har har.  Unfortunately, you were a bit late.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

Aluminum sword, not aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is very thin and you can bend it with your hands. Something with the thickness of, say, an airplane skin, would be a lot more difficult to fold around an elephant haunch.

Though it probably would bend quite easily if you got it stuck in an elf ribcage and tried to jump on it to pry it out.</STRONG>

Condolences on your lack of a sense of humor

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ravendas:
[QB]During moods, they ignore item material requirements. In the case of weapons and armor, they fall in the 50% category.
It seems sort of odd for aluminum to be 50%, though.  I mean, maybe it's not a standard weapon metal, but I'd expect it to be better than wood...  maybe there should be some stats for nonstandard materials, or perhaps nonstandard materials should get a percentage based on their more broad type (so nonstandard metals are still better than wood or cloth, say.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>What kind of sword is it?  Is it an aluminum foil?</STRONG>

OH SON OF A...

I'm not humorless. I'm just dumb sometimes. >.<