Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moody dwarf and materials stored in bins  (Read 1043 times)

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moody dwarf and materials stored in bins
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »

So, I have this dwarf which requires cloth, and I have plenty of cloth. However, it's stored inside some bins and she doesn't go take it. I heard that there is a bug involving items stored inside bins, it seems that I stumbled in it.
I didn't make them. All, I mean cloth and bins, were shamelessy looted reclaimed in loving memory of some unlucky fellow merchant dwarves which came to trade with my settlement in the wrong moment (that is, during an ambush).

Is there a way to fix that (aside from locking the dwarf in the workshop)? She has four children and is the wife of my broker, I don't want them to go mad, it smells like tantrum.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:08:19 pm by Lord Vetinari »

DeathToGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moody dwarf and materials stored in bins
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:05:48 pm »

eat your cotton candy ASAP and get to the stick, try to time it around the time the spiral happens... Raving Mad Dwarves vs. Clowns...

epic fights ensue... dwarves return to normal, just the two of them... and voila legendary fighting duo... dont know where the kids fit into the story though

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

I have never had a problem with cloth in bins being unusable for moods.  I have found that cloth which is stored in the hospital is unusable for moods - I've had to deactivate my hospital zone a few times to let a moody dwarf grab some cloth out of it.

What is more likely is that you don't have the right kind of cloth.  A dwarf in a mood will want either plant or silk cloth.  They won't generally tell you which kind they want, and won't ever accept the wrong type.  Make sure you have some of both types available to your moody dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »

I agree, far more likely he just wants silk.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:49 pm »

Unfortunatly I haven't reach cotton candy yet, I don't think I can make it before she goes mad. I recently discovered that I have a clown outpost because of the cotton candy sword showed in the R menu, but it's on the other side of the map, so I can't get to it either. However you gave me an idea for one of the next forts.

I have both plant cloth and cave spider silk. Maybe she requires actual thread instead of cloth? If that's the case, she's lost. I have no means to make it, and the next caravan is too far away: only the mountainhome liason shows up (at least for now), and it's only the beginning of spring. She won't wait for three seasons.

I'll try with the hospital and see what happens, just in case. Thanks for the answers.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:22:12 pm by Lord Vetinari »

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:07 pm »

Try dumping the contents of the bin, make a new cloth pile that doesn't accept bins then reclaim the cloth.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:38:06 pm »

Ok, I disabled the hospital, but it didn't work. I can't understand what's wrong. I have everything she requires, even (lucky!) a block of raw green glass which I can't make locally since I don't have sand in my map.

Well, let's hope that the legendary common dining room and the luxury noble mansion of the broker helps their morale.

EDIT: ARGH! She gave birth to her fifth child while locked inside the workshop. I'M going berserk, not her!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:50:49 pm by Lord Vetinari »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »

Moods use cloth, not thread.

The dwarf may require the cloth to be in a stockpile.  Make a cloth stockpile and see if she'll take the cloth once it's been moved to the stockpile.

Alternately, are you sure she's stuck on the cloth?  Each item listed in the mood demands can be for more than one of that item.  She might need more of whatever was listed before the cloth.

Also, if this fort is a reclaim, any items which were tasked for use when the for was abandoned will be unusable when you reclaim.  If the cloth was being used for anything (even being moved to a stockpile) when you reclaimed it will be untouchable now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »

No, it's the first embark. If I can understand the duration of the request, she's asking for one green glass, two cloths, two stones, one metal bar, one cut gem and one wood. And there's everything. If she survives till the next caravan, I'll try to buy some more cloth and glass, which are the only things that I can't make.

EDIT: Well, I made absolutely nothing (I was actually working on the outer wall) and she suddently started gathering materials and working. Well, better than nothing I guess.

Tank you all for the replies.

LAST AND FINAL EDIT: All this fuss to make a glass bucket called The Wortless Chain! I'm going to drown her, I don't care what happens.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:27:40 pm by Lord Vetinari »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:49:17 pm »

Why drown her? Was she possessed? If not, legendary glassmaker, start importing sand. If so, drown her. Build a well with the bucket.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »

Build the well where you drowned her.
くコ:彡

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »

Drown her in the well.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:21 pm »

There are two kinds of plant cloth. Maybe she wanted pig tail and you had rope reed? Or vice versa. A possibility.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 08:02:17 pm »

Drown her in the well.
"What's that, Urist? Sally fell in a well?! Meh. Go forbid all the stuff."
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »

I don't think dwarves care which plant fiber they use.

Anyway, as for the bucket, put it in a well, yes, but put the well in a bedroom for a noble or otherwise unhappy dwarf.  They will become convinced that their tiny closet is a palatial estate.
Pages: [1] 2