Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traps questions  (Read 866 times)

freejunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traps questions
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »

Hi, new to the forum and the game so please forgive me if this is a simple question that has been asked already.  I didn't find anything searching the forum.  For traps that you create, does the dwarf's skill affect the effectiveness of these traps?   Can dwarfs with higher skills in mechanics make better mechanisms for traps or they all the same?  Also, I'm guessing traps don't always trigger even if enemies walk over it?  I built 2 rows of cage traps and a bunch of goblins walked over them and none of them triggers.  Do I just need to build more traps or the traps quality is not good or a combination of both?  Or are there something else I'm missing here with traps?  Thanks

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Traps questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:32:01 pm »

I built 2 rows of cage traps and a bunch of goblins walked over them and none of them triggers.

Did you have cages to load the traps with?  You can build cage traps without having a single cage, but they wont do anything without a cage loaded into them, to me it sounds like this is your problem, because goblins do not have the trapavoid tag, so should get caught in the cage traps.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

freejunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:40:09 pm »

yea they all had wooden cages, or at least I thought they did, maybe I need to go check. but in any case, if the traps are armed with the cages, then it should catch any and all trappable enemies?  is there a chance that it might not trigger?  if i have one cage trap constructed correctly and say a goblin walk over that, will the goblin always be trapped?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »

Yes, if the creature does not have trapavoid they will trigger the trap.  If they do have trapavoid they will never trigger a trap.  Simple as that.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »

Cages are pretty cheap.  And by cheap I mean the kind you scream when your older brother has your guy pinned against the side of the screen and keeps hitting the same attack over and over.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 02:48:46 pm »

Cages are pretty cheap.  And by cheap I mean the kind you scream when your older brother has your guy pinned against the side of the screen and keeps hitting the same attack over and over.

This has nothing to do with the question.  What you feel is 'cheap' is your own business, cage traps are a viable defense, if the OP wants to use them, he can.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 02:51:18 pm »

This has nothing to do with the question.  What you feel is 'cheap' is your own business, cage traps are a viable defense, if the OP wants to use them, he can.
I'm sorry, I was just trying to illustrate that they catch everything and trying to make a joke at the same time.  Was there some reason to be an ass?Misunderstandings are fun!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:12:44 pm by BigJake »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:10:44 pm »

Seemed to me more like you were belittling the use of cage traps and casting it in a negative light, such is the nature of text communication I guess..

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

Skill wise, mechanism skill ONLY matters in the making of the mechanism and its final quality. A dabbling mechanic will load a cage trap as fast as a lengendary mechanic. They will both link a lever to a bridge or spike just a timely as each other. But a very skilled mechanic can make high quality mechanisms, and those do better as weapon traps. Other than that, I don't think quality matters other then for trading or providing a happy thought for a passing dwarf.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

freejunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 04:04:28 pm »

hmm ok so most likely the trap didnt' have the wood cage installed and that's prob why the goblin thief didn't get trapped?  i saw the goblin walk over 2 of my traps and nothing happened, just carried my stuff away anyway...sad...

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:21:41 pm »

Yep. Cage traps that are loaded will catch any goblin that walks on it. And cage traps can catch other things as well.
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »

A dabbling mechanic will load a cage trap as fast as a lengendary mechanic. They will both link a lever to a bridge or spike just a timely as each other.

Really?  I always assumed legendary mechanics would link stuff faster.  Guess I don't need to bring mechanics on embark anymore.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »

I always bring mechanics on embark. A mechanism is a high profit item for trade when made by a skilled mechanic, particularly when made in "rarer" stone. Skilled mechanics also make mechanism slightly faster than dabbling ones, so if you are going to need a lot of mechanisms quickly, skilled is better than not.

I just set my mechanic to be a mason when making stone constructions (like walls) and engraver when I smooth the new underground workshops floors and walls.

If you aren't going to go with mechanism trading, and don't want a high value mechanism for your initial levers (like--- the lever that controls the drawbridge that controls entrance into your fortress), then you don't need to bring a mechanic. Or if you aren't going to go straight to weapon traps when you start your trap making. The better the mechanism is for the weapon trap, the longer it will work before it jams. But it will eventually jam.