Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The eff is going on with that effin Steam?  (Read 3423 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The eff is going on with that effin Steam?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:37 pm »

I'm trying to install my new Civ 5 game and it apparently has Steam with it and it won't work.

Actually, looking at the box, I think I need to register with steam to activate it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 05:23:55 pm »

Why are you asking about the inner workings of Steam on the Bay12 forums?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 05:26:20 pm »

Because alot of people use steam around here and it was a simple question.

Turns out I should have read the manual because I do need a Sream account, so nevermind.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 06:06:40 pm »

Hah...Steam is the one and only DRM I will support use of, and I'm glad more and more developers are using it. It's notoriously hard to crack Steam games, and while this may be bad for the pirates, I'd rather have a developer use Steam to protect their IP rights than have them use Secu-ROM or StarFORCE.

Also, my Steam client is juuuust fine, I got Porlla when it was free and have Alien Swarm as well, no issues here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »

I generally dislike Steam because it's pretty buggy and crashy, and slow.

On the other hand, if I've gots to use it, I've gots to use it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 06:17:05 pm »

...buggy and crashy, and slow.

Really? That's odd, I've not had any trouble with Steam since I started using it. The only time it is slow for me is when I am starting a game through it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »

Steam's UI is completely locked up for me right, now example. It's actually working in the background, downloading a 8.6gb update because the piece of shit can't simply download the 100mb that changed in the game. So I'm unable to chat with friends or anything except for a single message every 15 minutes or so, since it will lock itself right back up.

Retards can't program worth shit.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »

Steam's UI is completely locked up for me right, now example. It's actually working in the background, downloading a 8.6gb update because the piece of shit can't simply download the 100mb that changed in the game. So I'm unable to chat with friends or anything except for a single message every 15 minutes or so, since it will lock itself right back up.

Retards can't program worth shit.

I honestly think that's your computer. Mines 5 years old and steam NEVER did that.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »

Nope. It's a gaming rig. It has to do with your internet link/isp instead. If you cannot put out more than 1mpbs during updates steam does that non-stop.

Not to mention it downloads absurd amounts of unnecessary data when you run a game. When my internets is going as slow as 10kb/s it takes 15m+ to run a single player game.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

If you cannot put out more than 1mpbs during updates steam does that non-stop.
Uh... nope. I've never gone over about 500kbps, and it doesn't do that.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 06:58:15 pm »

Once again, 95% of people's problems with Steam is in fact problems with their internet instead.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »

Not even when an update starts? It locks up the most when an update starts for me, sometimes for 10, 15 minutes, the process is working and it's downloading crap but the UI is completely frozen. And I have steam in four computers (one win 7, two vista, and one xp), they all do the same thing when my internet is slow. So I can easily rule out it being the computer.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »

Not even when an update starts? It locks up the most when an update starts for me, sometimes for 10, 15 minutes, the process is working and it's downloading crap but the UI is completely frozen. And I have steam in four computers (one win 7, two vista, and one xp), they all do the same thing when my internet is slow. So I can easily rule out it being the computer.

Never at all. The only time Steam's frozen for me is the occasional random thing or if I click play while it's still downloading the game. It pops up some little thing that manages to eat CPU cycles. With enough patience, you can close it.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:38 pm »

I haven't had a serious problem with steam really. Every once in a while, it would lock up, but I'd rather have that than keep up with organizing CDs. My last laptop had some more serious problems, where getting a message as soon as I popped on would cause it to freeze up, but that was it.

Might be that the quality of servers you have to use are bad. Or your ISP. This tends to happen in the UAE, albeit less dramatically.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 07:03:46 pm »

If you can rule out the computer, we can rule out the client.

It's your connection.

E: Also, it's the developer's fault that it has to completely redownload the game, not Steam's.
Steam does incremental patches just fine.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4