Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Sci-fi Awesomeness  (Read 5582 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-fi Awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »

I think this is relevant to our reading here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, that's a real thing. Here's the trailer.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 10:59:41 pm »

On the topic of awesome sci-fi I found on /tg/, I present to you:
Spoiler: The Gift of Mercy (click to show/hide)
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2010, 07:19:37 am »

I think this is relevant to our reading here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, that's a real thing. Here's the trailer.

You know this wouldn't actually seem that silly if it weren't for the constant, seemingly random scenes of poorly rendered cgi dinosaurs and dragons.  I saw this movie on NetFlix while looking up the one with Robert Downy Jr. and... Well I'm still having trouble swallowing the idea of that film, I don't plan on watching this one.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2010, 10:43:31 am »

Does anyone else find this to be a wankfest? IMO all these starshiptrooperesque sci-fi stories try to appeal to chauvinistic cords present in all of us, and deep down they are no different from old cowboy vs indians movies.

It is, but it doesn't bother me. Between the stories about humans being inferior savages, humans turning the galaxy into a crapsack world trough their greed and humans being absolutely average, a wankfest on it's time is good for the balance.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2010, 12:54:26 am »

I think the sci-fi trope that detail the human race as barbaric has its roots in early sci-fi authours trying to convey something about how they felt about the society they were living in.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2010, 05:28:43 am »

Just like how fantasy "always" portrays "civilization" or industrialisation as evil compared to elves, or whatever elf-alike the setting has.
Love, scriver~

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2010, 05:34:32 am »

Well not always, just always if humans are doing it. It's perfectly fine for dwarves, since apparently that's all dwarves do, but humans aren't......special like dwarves, so they need to take responsibility for their actions. That or it's a setting where magic and 'science' destroy each other. Which is idiotic in and of itself, since science could only aid magic.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2010, 07:05:47 am »

Well not always, just always if humans are doing it. It's perfectly fine for dwarves, since apparently that's all dwarves do, but humans aren't......special like dwarves, so they need to take responsibility for their actions. That or it's a setting where magic and 'science' destroy each other. Which is idiotic in and of itself, since science could only aid magic.
Unless magic messes with the rules of reality, causing the science to be based on broken principles.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2010, 07:09:35 am »

No, Science in and of itself is finding out how things work, and useing that knowledge to make them work to their best for your advantange. By finding out how magic works and finding ways to make it work better than in and of itself is science. It may or may not involve technology, but it's science.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2010, 07:47:54 am »

And what if it doesn't work in a consistent or reliable manner? What if it, in some ways, has legitimately unpredictable results?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2010, 08:06:01 am »

You mean like quantum mechanics? :P

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2010, 08:31:59 am »

Sorta.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »

STATISTICS!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2010, 03:22:37 pm »

The fundamental assumption of science is that the universe is self consistent, that the same rules govern everything, everywhere, at all times. Quantum mechanics is different than something unpredictable like some authors' impressions of magic.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2010, 07:08:50 pm »

I recall reading a post on a conlanging/conworlding forum a while back that was basically a logical proof that sapient, complex-tool building lifeforms would most likely be bipedal (more than four limbs being a disadvantage for large land organisms; complex manipulators that aren't required for walking being necessary to develop more advanced tools (since you'd need to be able to carry them with you when you moved around); and aquatic terrain too ephemeral and dynamic to create static civilizations), omnivorous (because plants as they occur in nature don't provide enough energy to power a large brain, nor do they require particular cunning to capture, while meat alone is too unreliable to be the only food source), warm-blooded mammalian-analogues (meaning they feed and raise their own young, necessary to having a social structure in the first place) with a pack hierarchy (because hunting and social mechanisms and whatnot), external sexual organs (to avoid overheating or something, I forget the full justification), and a digestive tract running through them with sensory organs located near the intake (to prevent contamination of sensitive sensory organs with waste, and to allow close examination of food).

Not that this is wholly relevant, but it was interesting, and was essentially a refutation of the already rather silly Planet of Hats trope and the common "lizard aliens", "bug aliens", "space elfs", and whatnot, with the argument that any aliens more advanced than dolphins or chimpanzees are probably pretty fucking humanlike, in both appearance and behavior.

Sadly, the post itself has long since been culled, having been made in the "culled after a week with no new posts" subforum.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7