Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Sci-fi Awesomeness  (Read 5587 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-fi Awesomeness
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 12:10:34 pm »

Less than that depending on how 'heathanistic' they are religiously >.> Never doupt the power of religion when it comes to causeing genocide, religion has caused more murder than anything else in the world, even greed.

That's a misconception.  Religion is just a great excuse for genocide because it involves believing in something blindly despite logic or reason and can therefore easily be manipulated.

No offence, and I truely mean that, but I'm sure people said that about when we could 'touch the sky', which stupid people can do now. And before than when stupid people could 'brave the sea and reach lands unknown' Which stupid people could do by the time touching the sky became more popular.

Exactly...  Am I really so hard to understand that people always have to reiterate my own points back to me while acting like they're somehow disagreeing with what I said?

What do you even think I said?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:14:13 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »

We'd genocide them because we'd blame them for all our problems. Nothing makes people easier to control than giving them a common enemy.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 12:13:35 pm »

I have serious doubts that interstellar travel will ever be feasible.

Less than that depending on how 'heathanistic' they are religiously >.> Never doupt the power of religion when it comes to causeing genocide, religion has caused more murder than anything else in the world, even greed.

That's a misconception.  Religion is just a great excuse for genocide because it involves believing in something blindly despite logic or reason and can therefore easily be manipulated.
You don't think the Muslims are going to hate the aliens for being kafir?  Don't think the christians won't hate them for not being visited by jegus or some shit?

Just communicating with them at all, I think, is going to be the biggest hurdle, though.  (Why, oh why do I need to keep bringing up Card's (misogynist) work)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 12:15:47 pm »

I am aware, beleive me, I personilly don't follow any religion, and I don't mind any religions, beleive what you want becouse noone really knows so anyone could be right, or noone could be right, or any combination of the two. Though I am.....morbidly facinated by religions, both ancient and still practiced today, it's amazeing how these things can cause people to think wonton slaughter is acceptible, even if their religion clearly states against any form of killing another human.

No offence, and I truely mean that, but I'm sure people said that about when we could 'touch the sky', which stupid people can do now. And before than when stupid people could 'brave the sea and reach lands unknown' Which stupid people could do by the time touching the sky became more popular.

Exactly...  Am I really so hard to understand that people always have to reiterate my own points back to me while acting like they're somehow disagreeing with what I said?

What do you even think I said?
I had thought you meant that once even stupid people could reach space we would have grown, I misunderstood, I appologise, I do that alot and people misunderstand me alot.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 12:16:50 pm »

And there will probably be so much infighting about how to 'deal with the aliens'....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 12:18:51 pm »

You know Zangi that reminds me of something else, Why is it that in sci-fi almost every alien race has a single government uniteing their entire species, yet humans now and in most sci-fi are still split up? Is it just a bad attempt to make them more alien?
Because I can"-WolfTengu

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 12:20:34 pm »

It's just laziness, similar to how they will only have one (or two, at most) culture.
Love, scriver~

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 12:21:50 pm »

Careful now, we don't want to turn this into Atheists Mk II.

You know Zangi that reminds me of something else, Why is it that in sci-fi almost every alien race has a single government uniteing their entire species, yet humans now and in most sci-fi are still split up? Is it just a bad attempt to make them more alien?
Don't mean to butt in here, but it's just laziness/pragmatism.  How much easier is it to create a planet that's entirely the same with no divergant history, culture or nationstates than it is to synthesize an earth-like history from scratch that no one would understand anyway?  Humans are easier to split up because we've got all these great divisions in our shared culture that we all recognize without a second thought.

edit: ninja'd twice in the same thread.  not my day.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 12:30:40 pm »

And this is where we come upon the difference between a Good writer and a Great one. A good one makes an entertaining story, perhaps even one that makes us think, that people enjoy. A great one puts in so much work, much of it behind the sceans of the story that the reader/watcher/player/whatever sees. They make the history, perhaps not a full one but enough to make them realistic, of their species or cultures, nations, whatever. With great authors you have thousands of things happening that may or may not effect the main story itself directly.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 12:37:39 pm »

That's how you spot a real* lover of fantasy/sci-fi.  A love of world-builders.

*Semi-serious, of course, love whatever you like.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »

Though I love Fantasy and Sci-fi(incedently why do so many people like to assume sci-fi geeks and fantasy geeks hate each other? I'm both), I am an all around Fiction lover in general. Even things that are fictional tales of RL things are awesome reads if someone does it well. And even in stuff like that Wolrd-builders are the best writers, yeah much of the work is done for them, but they still need to work on every single charactor who effects the story, even just from the backround.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 12:53:35 pm »

Actually, I hardly read any fiction these days.  I read all my old favorites still but I haven't read a new fiction book in 6 years.  Though I wish I could have inhaled textbooks like this while I was actually in school.

edit: I don't understand how science fiction isn't a subgenre of fantasy.  It's not like most of it makes any more sense than most fantasy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:55:20 pm by BigJake »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:09 pm »

Becouse Fantasy has become the term for magic, elves, dragons, etc. It's not completely accurate, but hey, this is english, alot of words have another meaning that barely has to do with the first meaning.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »

I think the general reason is similar to what you state, in as much as most people regard SciFi as pseudo-feasible, whereas Fantasy is regarded as, just that, fantasy.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 02:50:36 pm »

You ever notice how we find mundainity in fiction? There is almost always a race of alien bugs who are evil. The big strong guys will always be stupid and agressive. Elves will always be fucking pansies who think their better than everyone, etc.
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7