Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drowning on food?  (Read 1266 times)

LordSharpe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Drowning on food?
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:22:36 am »

So I am on my first stable fortress, (unfortunately version .13, so no invasions are coming). In any case, my population is about 95, and I am drowning in food. Plants, meat, everything, I can never get my food stockpile large enough, and I need to keep my carpender repeatedly making barrels just to keep up demand.

Doesn't help that I can't even dig out areas for more food storage, because all the stone clutters up the area, making a food stockpile impossible. Whats the best way to handle this? Just disable all hunting, farming, etc, for the next little while on all my dwarves? I'm pretty sure, at this point, half my meat is rotting before it even gets eaten. Is there a way to compact my food so that it takes less space? The only thing I really need to keep active is my still.

Can I throw a feast or something? Can I prioritize what the dwarves eat, to get rid of some of the old meat?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning on food?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:43 am »

Make lavish meal, it'll take less space and won't rot.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:27:18 am »

Mass-produce stone into blocks (can be stored in bins). Mass-produce blocks into Epic Megaproject.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:31:15 am »

Mass dump the stone (d>b>d), turn off food production for a bit, cook your foodstuffs into lavish meals and sell those meals at a ridiculous profit to the traders.

Honestly, I don't even make export crafts anymore, exceptionally-cooked meals can buy out a trade caravan in the first year.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:31:29 am »

If the meat is in a stockpile, it won't rot.  Make more barrels.  Make prepared food.  Dig stockpiles in soil, if you've got it; won't leave stones.  Make more barrels.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:13 am »

When I saw the thread title, I thought about either dorfs drowning in *masterwork dog roast*s or drowning while standing on aforementiones roast... :( You disappointed me.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 09:53:41 am »

I was hopeing for the same Dariush.

But on topic, perhaps you could wall off a cavern and use that free space for a food stockpile.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 10:24:44 am »

Or, in an older version, drowning in Dwarven Wine Roasts... but then again, they wouldn't be drowing, they'd be breathing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 06:14:45 pm »

You definitely reach a point where you can grossly overproduce food without trying.

I thought that they used stockpiles without caring if you had stones on them now though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 06:31:19 pm »

Yeah food stockpiles seem to behave that way, although not all types (e.g. wood and refuse do not).

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:49 pm »

HedonismBot is not amused.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:13:13 pm »

I thought that they used stockpiles without caring if you had stones on them now though.

That only works with bins and barrels, which will get stored on a stockpile square even if there's something else already there; any other objects must be placed on an empty tile.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:20 pm »

So I am on my first stable fortress, (unfortunately version .13, so no invasions are coming). In any case, my population is about 95, and I am drowning in food. Plants, meat, everything, I can never get my food stockpile large enough, and I need to keep my carpender repeatedly making barrels just to keep up demand.

Doesn't help that I can't even dig out areas for more food storage, because all the stone clutters up the area, making a food stockpile impossible. Whats the best way to handle this? Just disable all hunting, farming, etc, for the next little while on all my dwarves? I'm pretty sure, at this point, half my meat is rotting before it even gets eaten. Is there a way to compact my food so that it takes less space? The only thing I really need to keep active is my still.

Can I throw a feast or something? Can I prioritize what the dwarves eat, to get rid of some of the old meat?

I'm still pretty new to the game, but I've noticed this too.  My food stockpiles seem to grow constantly regardless of whether or not the dwarven population increases or decreases, even with barrels; which in turn requires a progressively larger and larger food stockpile.  From what I can tell, the meat and drink stocks increase/decrease like normal but the prepared meals and seeds seem to get out of control.  I think something else might too, because the "Other" in the Food Stores menu always gets huge.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »

This is because farming and butchering is too easy and both give lots of food.

Once I get a nice hoard of meals and booze I let the farms fallow some seasons or stop them completely. Often if I have nothing else from the caravans I order expensive food and booze. I like having good food for my dwarves. The large stocks act as a buffer allowing me to see if my fort can support less farms and time to start them back up if I'm running low.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »

You should keep a closer eye on your booze, however. Getting complacent with your booze can lead to lots of Fun indeed.
Pages: [1] 2