Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change TrueType font size?  (Read 9139 times)

Left of Zen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Change TrueType font size?
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:47 am »

Hi, I have enabled the TrueType fonts (using 31.16), but no matter which font I try, they are all incredibly tiny, to the point that they are unreadable. How can I change the size of these fonts?

Left of Zen

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change TrueType font size?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:33:09 am »

Zoom. Use the scroll wheel, or the appropriately bound zoom buttons. I don't know what those are.
!!&!!

Left of Zen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:44:24 am »

That works...except it zooms in on the game drastically, making that almost unplayable. I can't find a balance of playability and readability by zooming in, either one or the other is acceptable.
Surely there is a simply way to change the size of the fonts? I can't find a font size variable in any of the init files.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:51:36 am »

I've also been going through this for a while, here's what I ended up using: London Two.

It looks quite good, just the right size; and is somewhat lore-friendly compared to other fonts I've tried, I hope you find it helpful.
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

mumblerit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:08:54 pm »

you can change the amount that zoom.. zooms in the init file

Left of Zen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:51:28 pm »

@voodooattack: Hey, that London Two font is a bit better than the other ones, its big enough to be readable now :) Thanks for that!

@mumblerit: Like I said before, zooming in on the font means it also zooms in on the game, something that I don't want, since then I get a blurry game and I can't see as much of the map.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

Sorry for the necropost, but:

I know how to zoom to adjust the size of the TrueType text, but I don't see anything in init.txt that would suggest how to change which typeface to use so I can enjoy the success the other people in this thread had.  Any thoughts?
Randy...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »

Uh.... did you read the thread?

Mouse scroll wheel or use a font which is actually bigger.  There  is no init file option.

Striked out because I am an idiot.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:34:18 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »

Uh, did you read my question?  I know about the scroll wheel, I know I'd like to change the typeface.

Is there anyone ELSE who can tell me how to change which typeface DF uses when TRUETYPE=YES is enabled?  Thanks in advance.

OK, I found it.  If I knew where to document this for future generations, I'd volunteer to do so.  In the DF/data/art directory there's a font file called font.ttf.  Back that file up, rename the font you want to use to font.ttf in that directory.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:14:25 pm by randyshipp »
Randy...