Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 692 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:06:17 am »

Ok I've got a few questions im looking for answers to.  I've read the relevant wiki pages but this game is deep and i may be overlooking stuff.

Animals/cages/traps
1. I send someone with the trapping skill out to Capture a live land animal from either the butchers or the kennels.  Will this always result in vermin?
2. What can I do with said caged vermin?  They are in my animal stockpile in the trap, attempting to move them to the trade depot seems to cause escape, they usually then get killed.  I see that I can tame them as 'small animals' through the kennels.  Is their any point if vermin cant be butchered?  not much interested in having roach pets and if i cant butcher then i dont want to breed them.  Also, can i butcher non-tamed but caged animals?
3. Animal traps (built).  I set a few of these things up, then spent a lot of time trying to build walls to funnel stuff into them.  I even built a 1-tile wide bridge over the nearby brook and put a trap in the middle....I've actually seen groundhogs stroll through these without being caught.  How do I actually get these to snag critters?  The bridge one in particular bugs me as theres no non-water route around it but they never seem to be caught.
4. Tame a 'large animal' from the kennels....this is for non-vermin that i catch in animal traps?
5. Cage trap....built a couple as defense against anything hostile that might show up....will these catch critters in the same function as an animal trap?
6. Releasing tame animals from cages......bought some animals from the traders, how do i get em out of their cage?  for that matter if i tame an animal thats in an animal trap, is the same method used to release those?
7. Hunting.  Can dwarves only hunt if they have a crossbow and bolts?  no melee hunting?  I have a handful with the job assignment and there are usually 4-5 huntable animals in my area (seen with u menu) yet im not sure they are hunting the critters....i get 'nothing to hunt' messages even when i can physically see the creatures and no leather is making its way through my tannery (theres too much food around to track kills by that, since i have almost no leather i use it as a measure)

Nobles:
1. Assigned my expedition leader as book keeper and was kinda hoping he'd provide me with useful data through the z-stocks screen.  I embarked with record keeping (and all the other admin skills) on this dwarf and he has a modest office assigned (hes used it for merchant diplomat meetings).  The skill is going rusty and i see no change in quality of data supplied anywhere, why isnt he working? (has little else assigned and no hauling duties, sits idle a fair amount)

Caverns
What I read about caverns indicates they get more dangerous with depth.  I just recently struck a cavern about 7-z down and immediately walled it off.  From what I can see I have emerged high in the wall of a cavern that spans several z-levels.  Two air spaces followed by water lie underneath the tunnel mouth....there only seems to be water/floor on the lowest level (2 below where I struck it), the other levels are just empty space.  Is going down to this cavern floor considered a deeper cavern level?  Or are we talking about a whole 'nother set of much deeper caverns there?  (the floor is littered with giant cave spider silk webbing, since I hit it in autumn of year one its staying walled for now)

Goblins
The first world I created was genned in .14 and I was a sad panda to discover goblins wouldnt come.
This current world is genned in .12 and im playing it in .14, after generation there were fair goblin numbers in exported populations and i found some strongholds on the map, however they were all in areas of the map I didnt want to be building (haunted, terrifying, frozen, acquifers, no flux etc. etc.)
As a result I picked a spot some distance from them but not seperated by water/mountains as it was more suited to actually establishing my fortress..........will they make the hike?  They dont show on c-civilizations but it would appear thats due to not making any contact yet.  If they will head my way, will their increased distance mean they show up later?  On a related note theres a civ of lizardmen listed under 'c'...could they be in my caverns?  or are they just nearby?

Thanks for any and all answers people might be able to give, quite a bunch it turned out to be across a range of subjects but these are the things i just dont get.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:10:58 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:21 am »

-I've never used animal traps so I can't answer those.
-Yes, "tame a large animal" will tame elephants and such and so forth.
-I catch groundhogs as well as, again, elephants in cage traps all the time.  Except for things with the trap avoid tag (forgotten beasts and clowns, mostly) they'll catch everything.
-Build the cage, hit (q), then (a) and deselect the animal to release it.
-Hunters will only hunt with crossbow and bolts.

-For your bookkeeper, go to the nobles screen (n), scroll down to bookkeeper and hit (s).  Change to medium or high.

-There will be 2 more separate cavern systems deeper down.

-As long as the gobs showed on embark, you'll get visits.  Lizardmen inhabit caves and caverns, iirc.  If you don't have any caves, then they're in the caverns.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:10 am »

Thanks for the speedy reply:)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:48:22 am »

1. I send someone with the trapping skill out to Capture a live land animal from either the butchers or the kennels.  Will this always result in vermin?
Yes.  The Capture animal task results in the capture of a vermin-type creature when it succeeds.  To capture non-vermin creatures you need to use a cage trap.

2. What can I do with said caged vermin?  They are in my animal stockpile in the trap, attempting to move them to the trade depot seems to cause escape, they usually then get killed.  I see that I can tame them as 'small animals' through the kennels.  Is their any point if vermin cant be butchered?  not much interested in having roach pets and if i cant butcher then i dont want to breed them.  Also, can i butcher non-tamed but caged animals?
Vermin can't be butchered.  A few of them can be processed for extracts, such as purring maggots or moghoppers.  Dwarves will eat them, but only when starving, and they won't be happy about doing so.  You can put them in a cage somewhere at which point dwarves who like them will get a happy thought from seeing them, and dwarves who hate them will get an unhappy thought.  You can also make them available for adoption as pets after you tame them.  A dwarf who likes that kind of vermin may then adopt them and carry them around.

3. Animal traps (built).  I set a few of these things up, then spent a lot of time trying to build walls to funnel stuff into them.  I even built a 1-tile wide bridge over the nearby brook and put a trap in the middle....I've actually seen groundhogs stroll through these without being caught.  How do I actually get these to snag critters?  The bridge one in particular bugs me as theres no non-water route around it but they never seem to be caught.
Animal traps (built) are for capturing vermin, the same creatures you'd capture with the capture animal task.  Non-vermin creatures will walk right over them without being caught.

4. Tame a 'large animal' from the kennels....this is for non-vermin that i catch in animal traps?
Vermin don't count as large animals.  The tame large animal task is for non-vermin, the kind you can't catch in animal traps.

5. Cage trap....built a couple as defense against anything hostile that might show up....will these catch critters in the same function as an animal trap?
Cage traps will capture non-vermin animals, as well as invaders and berserk dwarves.  You can then tame the non-vermin animals and butcher them.

6. Releasing tame animals from cages......bought some animals from the traders, how do i get em out of their cage?  for that matter if i tame an animal thats in an animal trap, is the same method used to release those?
Animals in cages can be released by building the cage they are in, or building an empty cage and then transferring them to it, and then either un-assigning them from the cage or linking a lever to the cage and then pulling the lever.  Having lots of tame animals wandering around is not necessarily something you want, they track contaminates and slow down your FPS.  Vermin, even when tamed, should not be released from their cages, since your dwarves will then waste time trying to recapture them.

7. Hunting.  Can dwarves only hunt if they have a crossbow and bolts?  no melee hunting?  I have a handful with the job assignment and there are usually 4-5 huntable animals in my area (seen with u menu) yet im not sure they are hunting the critters....i get 'nothing to hunt' messages even when i can physically see the creatures and no leather is making its way through my tannery (theres too much food around to track kills by that, since i have almost no leather i use it as a measure)
I've never tried to get hunting to work, sorry.

Assigned my expedition leader as book keeper and was kinda hoping he'd provide me with useful data through the z-stocks screen.  I embarked with record keeping (and all the other admin skills) on this dwarf and he has a modest office assigned (hes used it for merchant diplomat meetings).  The skill is going rusty and i see no change in quality of data supplied anywhere, why isnt he working? (has little else assigned and no hauling duties, sits idle a fair amount)
Press 'n', and select the bookkeeper.  Press 's' and tell him to work at highest precision.

What I read about caverns indicates they get more dangerous with depth.  I just recently struck a cavern about 7-z down and immediately walled it off.  From what I can see I have emerged high in the wall of a cavern that spans several z-levels.  Two air spaces followed by water lie underneath the tunnel mouth....there only seems to be water/floor on the lowest level (2 below where I struck it), the other levels are just empty space.  Is going down to this cavern floor considered a deeper cavern level?  Or are we talking about a whole 'nother set of much deeper caverns there?  (the floor is littered with giant cave spider silk webbing, since I hit it in autumn of year one its staying walled for now)
There are multiple layers of caverns, which are completely separate sets of caverns linked by occasional downward passages, and then even more Fun stuff below that.

The first world I created was genned in .14 and I was a sad panda to discover goblins wouldnt come.
This current world is genned in .12 and im playing it in .14, after generation there were fair goblin numbers in exported populations and i found some strongholds on the map, however they were all in areas of the map I didnt want to be building (haunted, terrifying, frozen, acquifers, no flux etc. etc.)
As a result I picked a spot some distance from them but not seperated by water/mountains as it was more suited to actually establishing my fortress..........will they make the hike?  They dont show on c-civilizations but it would appear thats due to not making any contact yet.  If they will head my way, will their increased distance mean they show up later?  On a related note theres a civ of lizardmen listed under 'c'...could they be in my caverns?  or are they just nearby?
I think you need to upgrade to .15 or .16 to have invaders show up at all at the moment.

Civilizations only show up on the 'c' menu after one of their members has appeared on your map, so you won't see a civilization until they send someone to your site.  The unnamed lizardman civilization is living somewhere in the caverns below your embark site, if you dig deeply enough you'll meet them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:29 am »

hunters hunt only when they have a crossbow, bolts and a quiver - the quiver is important too.

if you want, you can kill animals with the militia in hand to hand combat. for that to work you'll need to enable refuse gathering from outside using the 'o'ptions 'r'efuse menu (or something like that  ;D)

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:03:52 am »

I think you need to upgrade to .15 or .16 to have invaders show up at all at the moment.
He gen'd the world in .12
He'll be fine there.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »

Actually, I've seen newly tasked hunters grab a bow and arrows and go hunting. Now, that's a pain, since you can't make arrows.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!